Euro Stevens and Billington TX102 Group Purchase - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2004, 07:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Euro Stevens and Billington TX102 Group Purchase

Hi All,

you may have heard of the Stevens and Billington TX102 Transformers. A pair of these, a decent rotary switch and some quality connectors will enable you to construct a very nice passive preamp.

I have been in contact with Jonathan Billington and the prices for each transformer is 135 GBP plus VAT and delivery. If we order 10 (i.e. 5 preamps), then the price drops significantly. A further price-break is at 20 units (i.e. 10 preamps).

I will email prices to those who sign up on the WIKI as interested - get to it through "Everything Else" or by clicking here: http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.p...Group+Purchase . I would like to be discreet about the exact discount that I have been offered. Because I am not VAT registered, I do not know about sending products outside of the EU. If VAT is paid in the EU, then I believe that the transformers may be sent without further duty payable.

Please list your name in the WIKI, and the number of transformers you want. I will consider adding other Stevens and Billington products to this page - let me know if there is anything on their website you wish to order.

Cheers

Jon
Old 26th September 2004, 08:11 PM   #2
SineEra is offline SineEra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default TX102 variants

Jon
Having read the bent audio website, they state "the tx102 is custom made for Bent Audio using exotic OCC copper winding wire and continous cast high purity copper output leads. "
They also mention a silver wired version.

Which version are you planning for the group buy?

thanks Simon
Old 26th September 2004, 08:23 PM   #3
wytco0 is offline wytco0  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi I am interested in 2 transformers and I would also be interested in high quality switches if they do them, (like those uses in their preamp).
Old 27th September 2004, 08:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

I have emailed Jonathan Billington and asked for the price premium of the silver wound 102s. The OCC copper used in the Bent 102s is supplied to S&B by them - I have asked if the performance of the copper used in stock UK 102s is comparable.

I was planning on the stock version -- reviews are very good (I've found 3 on the net as downloadables).

I have not yet looked at sourcing Shallco or Seiden switches - can anyone give me a steer towards a competitive UK or EU supplier??? With the USD to GBP exchange rate, it might be worth looking at a US supplier and ordering individually.

Let me know that you think.

If you need a hand adding your name to the WIKI, give me a shout.

Jon

Old 27th September 2004, 09:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

John, interest is already at 20 excellent.

I think the switches used in the "Music First" preamp are Elma but I dont know where they come from or waht the prices are, I havent been able to find them on the web for UK supply.
Old 27th September 2004, 10:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default ELMA

Elma have a good reputation, but I haven't tried them myself.

I'll keep my ear to the ground in the meantime.

Cheers

Jon
Old 27th September 2004, 11:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The wiki already reached 22 units and my feeling is, there is more interest coming...

Is there the possibility of another price break, for example at 40 or 50 units?
Jon, could you please ask Mr. Billington what he can offer to us?
Old 28th September 2004, 09:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you can get hold of the October edition of the UK magazine "Hi-Fi News" it has a review of the Music first passive pre amp which is made by S&B and based on the transformers which are the subject of this group buy.

Its clear from the review that this preamp is very very good and this GB could enable DIYers to make something with similar performance at a fraction of the price. The Music First Preamp is about 1500 in the UK.

Hi-Fi News states in the summary that this preamp "warrants the very strongest recommendations possible"
Old 28th September 2004, 03:27 PM   #9
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by wytco0
If you can get hold of the October edition of the UK magazine "Hi-Fi News" it has a review of the Music first passive pre amp which is made by S&B and based on the transformers which are the subject of this group buy.
First, the review is available here:

http://www.realhi-fi.com/pdf/mfhn1004.pdf

Secondly, while superficially identical the stock TX-102 supplied to the DIY Market and the ones used in the MF Audio passive preamp differ in some ways, not hugely but notably.

Sayonara
Old 28th September 2004, 05:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have been in email contact today with Jonathan Billington. I have asked what the price differential between the copper and silver-wound versions are - so I can gauge a price/performance comparision between the two. Kuei, have you an opinion on this - knowing your close work with S & B?

I will keep an eye on the WIKI to see how we are doing - and will, when we get a little nearer to 40, ask where the higher price breaks might come. Might need to consider a cross-channel point of contact to distribute the goods. One other thing - as VAT is paid in the UK, no further duty is payable in the EU. I have had enquiries offline from folks in the US etc, and suggest that they contact the S & B North American distributor (available from the S&B website at http://www.stevens-billington.co.uk ) to see if they can arrange a similar GP across the Pond. For those of you in non-EU countries - please be aware that you may be liable for duty according to your National legislation. I am not a customs expert, though!!

I'd appreciate someone setting up a decent (Seiden, Shallco, Elma) switch GP to run alongside this one. I'm going to use the Cardas connectors I set aside for my AX project on this one .

More info as it comes.......

Jon

Hide this!Advertise here!