• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Industrial SMD Gainclone - group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Peranders-

Holy crap! I knew you were respected and famous on this forum but I had no idea you were THAT active and famous globally.

Yes your site came up on the first page of Google, along with many more pages of references to or about you.

Please excuse my ignorance.

As a side note, I did a google search on my self... The result was:

"Uh... Who?" :)

Thanks again,

Troy

GeWa said:
Hi P-A

Just a thought: if you reduce the space for the big power cap's and loose the option of the choice in diodes you can make the final version of the PCB even smaller. Don't quite understand the purpose of the MUR3020 diode in the current setup.
I have the option for the diodes just for flexibility and the space between them is for cooling. It's possible to attach the diodes on a metal bar, just in case somebody want to use this pcb in a heavy duty application.

Hi P-A

The pcb's found there way to me today. They sure look good.
The only drawback was that, by looking to the boards I realized again how small that smd crap really is.:xeye:
Now I have to wait until all the stuff from Digi-Key arrives.
Tomorrow I'm going to order the trafo's and parallel cap's for the diodes, that will only take one or two days to have them.
Keep you posted.

Cheers

Walter

Glad you like it so far. It took two or three days to reach you.

Do you think the SMD parts are small? I have chosen "big" parts. Have you seen 0201 parts live?

If you can borrow two soldering irons, it will help a lot. Put tin on both pads. Place the part with a tweezer, then warm both sides at the same time and move the tips along the board fast. The part will suck into place while the tin is melt.

Start with the lowest (smallest) parts first!

You will only need two hands :nod: The part is on the pads (you put it there) and you put both soldering iron tips on each side and at the same time on the pads. Everything melts and the part sucks into place due to the strong surface forces. You can also solder on pad at the time but this goes much faster and you don't need any precision, the part is doing that for you, by itself!

Hi P-A

This morning I found an envelope in my mailbox which looked very familiar to the last one I received from you. When I opened it I was pleasantly surprised to find two nice little coils. Saves me the trouble of winding them myself, thanks. Today I also ordered five heatsinks which wil be used to make the housing for the amp's. Now it's time to contact my buddy the carpenter for some chunky wooden bases?!:cool:

Cheers

Walter

Building started!

Hi P-A!
I started soldering the first SMD's today. It's not too difficult, but I think it will be easier after I have gained some experience.
I am so lucky to have access to a well equipped HW lab at my work, so that makes things a bit easier.

AndyB

Hi!
Now is all the SMD parts finished exept for the C1 and opamp (have not got them yet).
It became fairly easy and quite fun really after gaining some experience.
My hands are shaking quite a lot, and my eyes have been weaker by the years, but it still was manageable. It was important for me to have a good magnifyer glass with a lamp as a tool.
And two soldering irons of course.
I put on some DC power and could measure +11.83V and -12.09V after the regulators.

Well done! It took me approx. 2 hours to solder one board and it was rather easy. Now I'm ready to put voltage on it!

A detail of the board. Notice that I have cleaned it with alcohol. It becomes a bit more messy after soldering but I cleaned it just so it looks nicer in the picture.

Bigger picture here

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi P-A

Nice solderwork. Also impressed with the quality of the picture. I'm realy curious about the sound quality. So far I haven't started because I'm still waiting for the parts to arive:bawling:, I hope it will be something for next week. Yesterday I paid my friend the carpenter a visit so I already could make me two walnut baseplates for the amps.

Cheers

Walter

Hey Peranders-

Awesome looking board. Really nice work.

When are you going to have assembled boards ready to sell? :)

Joking... But no way I'm going to burn my fingers trying to solder that small.

What is the “extra” male quick connects on the board for? 2 for AC input, but I counted 3-4 more on the board.

Again, GREAT looking work.

Thanks,

Troy

PS, For my idea of miniaturizing... See attached photo.

Attachments

• 109_0954 (medium).jpg
    109_0954 (medium).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 310
digi01 said:
Hi P-A,Really nice design!
Can you show me your tools?I have welded smd parts too,but there is no beauty which you do.

cheers
digi
I have used two regular soldering irons and a good pair of tweesers, plus ordinary 60/40 tin , 0.7 mm. That's all!

Tools can be found here

digi, welding is what you do with iron, steel. Soldering is made by tin and a soldering iron. :D

GeWa said:
Nice solderwork. Also impressed with the quality of the picture. I'm realy curious about the sound quality.
Camera, Minolta F100 4 Mpx, nothing special. Lighting (or lightning as a wrote somewhere else :D ), 1300 watts halogen with an umbrella, plus reflex boards and white boards. The secret is the lighten in other words... and also a very stable tripod plus remote control to avoid vibrations.... Photoshop, "sharpen", "unsharp mask", "contrast", "brightness", "levels". Photoshop is wonderful.

Thank you all for the nice words. The pcb feels really rigid, 200 grams with parts!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.