Group order of non-inverted LM4780 pc boards? Anyone interested? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2004, 06:05 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I emailed BrianGT about this already, but maybe some other people here can give their opinion on this too

For a first time (chip-)amp I would like to build one of the kits BrianGT distributes. They will be driving my 87dB diy speakers.
What would you choose, being most educational and foolproof ? This new 4780 kit or the 3875 kit?

I do have some soldering experience and recently built my own speakers, but no experience whatsoever on amps yet.

Thanks Razorfist
Old 20th May 2004, 06:17 PM   #112
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by Razorfist
I emailed BrianGT about this already, but maybe some other people here can give their opinion on this too

For a first time (chip-)amp I would like to build one of the kits BrianGT distributes. They will be driving my 87dB diy speakers.
What would you choose, being most educational and foolproof ? This new 4780 kit or the 3875 kit?

I do have some soldering experience and recently built my own speakers, but no experience whatsoever on amps yet.
Let me reiterate my response here for others. I am using the LM3875 gainclone amplifier with my < 90 dB efficient Seas Thor TL speakers (I think they are around 87dB), and I get plenty of power with them. I can turn it up to the point where it makes my ears hurt, without the amplifier clipping. (320VA 2x24vac transformer) It is also a much more proven design than the LM4780. The only hard part about the kit is creating a chassis, and wiring up the power supply (be careful with the AC). I have a manual for the LM3875 kit on my website:
http://www.BrianGT.com (I will add more to it someday when I am not busy)

I also haven't built a LM4780 amplifier yet, and am ordering prototypes soon to try it out, before doing a large order of pcbs.

It will be a month or so before the LM4780 kits start shipping out, since it will take a week to get prototype boards made, some time to test it, then another week to get production boards made.

My intention for the LM4780 is to drive the bottom end of an active crossover system, as this will allow me to use a more inefficient woofer and still match my mids and tweeter.

--
Brian
Old 21st May 2004, 05:11 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply!

First I'm gonna subscribe to paypal and in the meantime wait for your experience on the new kit.
Old 22nd May 2004, 07:18 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Default Fake Class A idea

Being a not too technical newbie, Neutron7's thoughts on this topic seemed interesting. Can someone reply?

I presume another advantage of this would be faster transient response as it should double the slew rate. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Old 24th May 2004, 12:58 PM   #115
Alcaid is offline Alcaid  Norway
diyAudio Member

So, what's the current status on the LM4780 PCB? Have you implemented the Zobels?
Old 26th May 2004, 01:48 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

about the zobels and ect...

every feature requires you place components and then route stuff. granted the board uses 2 sides but doesn't use ALL of both sides...

adding components beyond the caps will prevent clamp-mounting.

this board appears to be a minimalist board -- there are no 10uf or 0.1uf bypass caps, and no zobels.

also, can you phycially move a zobel and maintain good effectiveness? if you move the zobels too far, wouldn't you just defeat the purpose of them becuase there would be too much inductance.
Old 26th May 2004, 01:50 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
What do you mean by clamp mounting? Since this board is minimalist approach, the size is also minimal, you can't move Zobel too far
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 26th May 2004, 02:09 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

I thought this was a Zobel free zone?
Old 26th May 2004, 02:29 AM   #119
SQ Kid is offline SQ Kid  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to SQ Kid Send a message via MSN to SQ Kid Send a message via Yahoo to SQ Kid
hey, i'd be interested in 2 sets. building the parent's a home theater setup for their anniversary, and i have yet to get a sub/amp setup yet. this sounds like it would work (of course they'd be getting my old kenwood combo, this might be too much for them and i want a new sub )
Old 26th May 2004, 12:48 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Tazzy
Think I'm interested in pcbs for 4 channels

Hide this!Advertise here!