• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB: Round #3; Fo-Felix & GB #1 AC Receptacle Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jeremy,

I have 6 FO-Felix boards but a lot more components to connect.
Would you prioritize the amplifiers and digital sources and leave the rest un-filtered?

This is my list:

- 200W power amp
- 400W power amp
- 400W power amp
- AV processor (Meridian 861)
- AV switch (Meridian HD621)
- Chromebox Asus Media Player (source)

I was thinking on a Felix for each of these, but that means that the rest is left OUT:

- TV
- Sattelite BOX streamer
- Router 1
- Router 2
- Cooling Fans

Should i group the digital devices in 1 Felix ?
Thanks

Jeremy,

I have 6 FO-Felix boards but a lot more components to connect.
Would you prioritize the amplifiers and digital sources and leave the rest un-filtered?

This is my list:

- 200W power amp
- 400W power amp
- 400W power amp
- AV processor (Meridian 861)
- AV switch (Meridian HD621)
- Chromebox Asus Media Player (source)

I was thinking on a Felix for each of these, but that means that the rest is left OUT:

- TV
- Sattelite BOX streamer
- Router 1
- Router 2
- Cooling Fans

Should i group the digital devices in 1 Felix ?
Thanks

I would want to plug it all in. I would start with sources, then digital stuff, then low power amp, then high power amps. IME nearby noise generators can drag the sound down of a lot of gear. My turntable plugged into a filter improves my whole stereo, and there is no connection to the tonearm.

You could group the non-audio stuff but the more filtered it is the better. That means lower ampere comocos, so you may not be able to plug in as many to a single filter.

Make what you will of it. Capacitors in series with signal sound different, particularly depending on what's driving them. These findings are consistent with the tid bits of clues everywhere you try to find information, especially including subjective.

Then when you put Teflon capacitors in conditioners they sound different than PP counter parts. Why? The only difference is in the 3rd harmonic, as far as anyone knows. It looks small but has been consistently audible for people buying the conditioners.

Then when you put Teflon capacitors in conditioners they sound different than PP counter parts.

It would be very strange if they sounded the same.

By different you mean worse?

I have an incomplete impression of teflon caps, based on only two makes, none of which were the universally praised Venhaus caps. For this reason i find it hard to generalise... perhaps some of them do sound good.

That's a hard distinction to make. Usually if something sounds different and someone assumes it could be better, they just go with the assumption that it is indeed better. If they later remove said things or switch they may find their true preference. At least you see this all day in the audiophile world.

In a power conditioner the cap is attenuating noise from line to neutral. The properties of telfon vs PP in this application are not much different. The basic capacitance will dominate the situation. Where they differ is in 3HD distortion, and Teflon's SRF may be low enough to act like a short for some high frequencies. The odds that the Teflon isn't contributing 3HD and or exciting some frequencies by actings like short, are pretty remote if it sounds obviously audibly different. Why? Because unless you're comparing 10uf teflons to 0.01uf PPs then there just isn't a reason to account for the difference otherwise.

The odds that the Teflon isn't contributing 3HD and or exciting some frequencies by actings like short, are pretty remote if it sounds obviously audibly different.

This is the only point where we disagree. Care to put numbers on the "3HD" level?

Which is the signal that gets distorted? What are its parameters? It is obviously proportional to the load modulating the current draw, but what kind of amplitude do you expect when an amp is running at close to maximum power? What about at a really low power? Or if the load is not an amp but a source, as these caps are equally audible supplying power to sources? What if the load is a constant current draw amp - would you expect the caps to suddenly become transparent?

Once you put the numbers you will realise that the amplitude of the signal which may get distorted is tiny, the distortion products of the caps at best are -140db below this tiny amplitude and they get further reduced by all the downstream PS filtering and by the device psrr. So, how much water can this theory hold?

It's not a theory that they sound different. Many reviewers and customers have posted about it. They aren't series, or in the path of the signal, so I don't follow your "transparent" comment.

The frequencies that are affected are highly parasitic and don't play by the rules that 50/60hz does.

There is one going on already...

Right now I have ordered one that I can assemble and show off. It's taking awhile for him to get to it. If I don't hear from the guy doing the CNC I'll bug him after another week or so. I'm hoping that will when people see it, that'll be the convincing point.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.