• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USSA-5 PCB GB

Hi fab,

I am a bit confused as to what pcb does what, in the last few posts you mention the USSA5 and USSA5.2 use the same pcb. What is the difference in the 2 versions. I assume 5.2 is the latest pcb for the mosfet drivers?

Then there is mention of the USSA 5.1 for BJT drivers - have you published info on the BJT circuit and details of which transistors you are using?

In your opinion, which version is the best - maybe a hard question to answer, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Based on your answer, I might change from mosfet drivers to the BJT one.

Regards,

Gary..

Hi Brian
No you are not too late. Note that the USSA5 and USSA5.2 use the same pcb version.
I thought you already have USSA5 pcb?
Fab

Hi Fab,

A different 'Brian':)

Yes, I have one set - but want another for a friend, hence my confirmed interest. I take it that the UK postage will be the same as for my USSAPA boards? If so I will add that same sum to my payment.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Gary
I am sorry I made a typo. Ussa5.2 should have read ussa5.1 and yes they use the same pcb.
It does not matter which version (5 or 5.1) I am curious who wants to try out version 5.1 with darlington bjt as driver instead of mosfet since I need to update the build manual for this version.. unfortunately I only have one channel mounted of USSA 5.1 so I cannot really test for sound comparison. However, v 5.1 was fully electrically tested fine. I believe that meanie and Vunce Have offered to build the version 5.1 after version 5 to compare.

I will publish the differences in parts between USSA 5 and 5.1 since it will be faster for me than to publish the updated manual (which will be eventually updated).

Fab

Thanks for the update Fab, can you let us know the BJT parts difference before the pcb GB is closed in case I want to change my mind, but as you mention the pcb's are physically the same, so as I understand it there are not 2 different versions of the pcb to suit either the mosfet or BJT driver amp design - is that correct?

Hi Brian
No you are not too late. Note that the USSA5 and USSA5.2 use the same pcb version.
I thought you already have USSA5 pcb?
Fab

Yes, I have the original. Just starting the planning for the heatsinks/power supply/chassis. I’m trying to use parts I have in stock for this build. I want to support your efforts and also to compare BJT vs mosfet drivers going forward.

Brian