• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Simple High Performance DC Coupled Class A HPA with sub PPM THD

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
GB Status Update....

The boards are about halfway completed. Now undergoing solder mask application then ENIG next.

Badboygolf16v - 2 sets, Paid
Dabore84 - 2 sets, Paid
funch - 1 set, Paid
kartk - 1 set, Paid
Yourownbuzz - 1 set plus Aksa Lender Pre TH and 2SA1837's, Paid
BabyDontHertzMe - 1 set, need PayPal address
Stellarelephant - 1 set, Paid
passive420 - 1 set, Paid
Pinnocchio - 1 set, Paid
vvs7 - 2 sets, Paid
Gwrskien - 1 set, Paid
Ernesternest - 1 set, Paid
jwjarch - 2 sets, Paid
ermine22 - 3 sets, Paid
Morde - 1 set, Paid
S610adam - 2 sets, Paid
*pstech - 2 sets, Paid
Silasmellor - 1 set, paid
ravid - 1 set, Paid
Malvin 1 set, Paid
*Hallcon83 1 set, Need PP address

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Very good and timely question. I need the raw parts list auto-generated by Eagle from JPS64. Then I will take a crack at filling in main details like value and ratings, materials and package. If you or anyone would care to help and populate the Mouser/Digikey part numbers and even a shopping cart for the group, that would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I’m about half way through the BOM. My goal is to either have one BOM for the HPA and one for the Preamp or somehow organize a single spreadsheet to incorporate both. Let me know if you guys prefer one over the other. Once I have a draft I’ll send to X for review.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, separate BOMs would make things clear, but is more work for Jwarch. Let me and JP know if you have any questions about a particular part. I am terrible at making BOMs because 90% of the stuff I have on hand in my drawers already or I grab the nearest alternative. There are some specific things for the PSU of this amp though that are not run of the mill items, like the 4uV LDO voltage regulators and dual rail DC-DC converter. I am really excited about this PSU, and can see how it can be useful for a lot of other preamp/HPA projects as it presents a convenient way to get ultra-clean (battery-like) dual rail +/-18v power at moderate current of 310mA from a 12v wall wart.

Thanks for the vote funch. I would agree with the separate BOM’s but I haven’t populated all the parts yet from the initial list. Once I have that done I’ll see how much extra work it is to separate and back check each BOM.

Thanks X. I think I’ll have a few questions once I get to the last 10-15 parts. I have to say though, I’ve been getting pretty good at this BOM stuff over the last year or so. So good that I have parts lined up for about 10 projects now. :eek:

This was in this month's electronics magazine. Didn't search up the cost of the Ics but the title was "using two cheap ICs to generate +-15V" (intended to be used for amps).
What do you guys think?

Attachments

• _20180713_232028.JPG
    _20180713_232028.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 335
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This was in this month's electronics magazine. Didn't search up the cost of the Ics but the title was "using two cheap ICs to generate +-15V" (intended to be used for amps).
What do you guys think?

Thanks for this - sort of what JP and I were already thinking. We have in fact, implemented the following in another project as a +15v source, and were looking to make a dual rail version. I did not know that you can the output of two units from same input to get a dual rail. The output must be isolated from the inputs for this to work.

attachment.php

The PCB's have completed manufacturing and have been shipped. I should have them by Monday.

Attachments

• DC-DC-15v-converter.png
    DC-DC-15v-converter.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
SHPA BOM - First Pass - DO NOT USE YET

Hi X,

Here's the first pass on the BOM for your review. I took a few liberties here and there. Also a few things have already gone out of stock in the last two days. I have already selected comparable components in most cases. The items in RED need still need some attention. Also, this is the full BOM. It has not been separated yet.

-Jon

Attachments

• 2018-07-12 - S-HPA-BOM-Rev_01-DO NOT USE YET.zip
    15.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Hey guys. Looking for any alternatives I can find for the Traco DC/DC converter. The Traco is $41 by itself. I noticed there is a Traco that is $1 cheaper that uses 24V input. Could this be substituted for the 12V input Traco? $1. Big deal. I know. But there is also a MeanWell DC/DC that is only $20, half the cost of the Traco! Problem is, it doesn't fit on the PCB. Would hookup wire be an alternative here or does that defeat the advantage of the PCB mount DC/DC? Here's a link to the MeanWell. Very similar specs to the Traco. Just a few less mA on the output current.

MeanWell 24V Isolated DC/DC Converter