• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Virtins MI Pro for RTX6001 autoranging/autoscaling & for soundcard end users

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Virtins, thanks for prompt re info on proposed auto-ranging. I think for now I will wait to hear from others as to how the spurious signals at range change are handled and to better understand to what extent 'auto-ranging on request' is of use for my purposes. I can imagine scenarios where it is useful but for me its about squeezing the max performance from the kit (I'm usually looking at maximally low noise kit with very low THD) by knowing the test gear and knowing what I'm looking for in the device under test. I guess that's where the engineering skill comes in.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi etlasr,
Waiting excludes you from the group buy.

You're forgetting that if there are issues with the switch points, they would correct it. Response from Jens on the RTX-6001 has been more than excellent. Remember, this group buy isn't really about a 10% discount at all. This group buy is all about getting the integration created, period. The discount is just a little sugar on the top, but don't lose sight of the actual objective here.

-Chris

RTX6001 Important news & beta testing notice

*** HOT NEWS ***

RTX6001 owners who do not join this MI Pro GB change in pricing policy effective immediately:

- This posting / policy in no way changes anything for current individuals who have signed onto the MI Pro GB or those who signed on prior to the end of July 2018. In effect, this new add-on policy change equates to MI Pro GB individuals getting the $99.95 USD RTX6001 add-on for free.

- For any individuals (e.g., RTX6001 hardware users) who purchases MI on or after 1 Aug 2018 (i.e., who are not part of this MI Pro GB) than the custom API for the RTX6001 will be an add-on cost of $99.95 USD (in addition to the normal cost of MI Pro).

- For non-MI Pro GB RTX6001 owners who purchase MI without the RTX6001 add-on than MI will only work with their RTX6001 and treat this hardware as a normal sound card, i.e., no autoranging nor autoscaling capabilities. This is the same as how any other 3rd party audio analyzer software currently works with the RTX6001, e.g., ARTA, REW, audiotester, HpW Works, SpectraPLUS-SC, RMAA, DAQARTA, etc.

- This change in policy as annotated above means that the custom API that allows MI Pro to control the RTX6001 hardware to allow for autoranging and autoscaling will no longer be bundled together with MI Pro after this GB ends, but will require the purchase of the RTX6001 add-on license on 1 Aug 2018 onward.

- Any individual who purchases the MI “full package” either as part of this MI GB (cost $449.95 USD) or on 1 Aug 2018 onward (cost ~$540 USD) will get all the MI add-ons, to include the RTX6001 API add-on too. Please see my posting # 93 for details on MI “full package” pricing during this GB vs. after this GB is over for details at: GB for Virtins MI Pro for RTX6001 autoranging/autoscaling & for soundcard end users - Page 10 - diyAudio (a $90 USD savings via the GB price vs. outside of the GB).

- Please note, discounted MI Pro GB offers are still available (we have 21 people signed-up for the MI Pro GB thus far). Please see my prior posting # 74 at: GB for Virtins MI Pro for RTX6001 autoranging/autoscaling & for soundcard end users - Page 8 - diyAudio Please note also the specific requirements to be considered to be signed up in posting # 74 too!

Beta testing of the custom API for the RTX6001 will take place in early July 2018 between Virtins Technology, Jens and Demian Martin (1audio) and me. Don’t expect to have lots of postings on how the beta testing is going during the first 2 to 3 weeks after beta testing begins. All of the comments on the API will be kept as business in confidence between the 4 aforementioned individuals as we work out any unforeseen issues (none are expected, but that’s the whole purpose of beta testing).

Once Virtins Technology feels that the custom API is working and stable, postings concerning the API’s functionality to the diyaudio forum group members will begin in more detail, (prior to the end of this MI Pro GB period).

The above changes are made to fiscally reward MI Pro GB individuals and are met to incentivize existing RTX6001 owners whom have not yet signed up for this MI Pro GB.

V/R,

MI Pro

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If the RTX-6001 integration was a $100 extra, it would be well worth while to anyone with one of these testers. That really does make the group buy a no-brainer.

I use the RTX-6001 every day. The integration will save me a great deal of time, and eliminate mistakes I tend to make the first time through. It's going to be a huge plus for me, and I suspect most other owners of the RTX-6001.

-Chris

The thing I do not like is asking for personal into before the GB is successful. I am also not exactly sure if I absolutely need this software. Maybe I should start asking questions to see how well it meets my needs?

From what I understand, the GB needs 42 people for it is be successful. We are half way there. I would provide personal information if the GB stands regardless whether this number is met.

The thing I do not like is asking for personal into before the GB is successful. I am also not exactly sure if I absolutely need this software. Maybe I should start asking questions to see how well it meets my needs?

From what I understand, the GB needs 42 people for it is be successful. We are half way there. I would provide personal information if the GB stands regardless whether this number is met.

Hello soongsc,

Please continue to ask questions to see how well the MI Pro software meets your needs. The latter is a large rational for this diyaudio forum GB anyway, i.e., so that you and others can ask such questions. We strongly encourage questions :)

As to your second question, the answer is “yes,” the GB will now go forward at this point even though we have not yet reached the magic # of 42. A decision was made to develop the API for the remote control of the RTX6001 via the MI Pro software and do so early (release beta version to beta test team I address in my posting # 143 at the beginning of July 2018).

It was simply deemed proper to develop the API and have it fully beta tested in the month of July 2018 so that once the payments came due in the first week of Aug 2018 the RTX6001 API would be ready for release.

Once that decision was made and even though we had not yet reached our magic goal of 42 GB orders, a decision was made to simply charge an extra $99.95 USD for the RTX6001 API as an add-on for any MI Pro orders made outside of the GB placed on 1 Aug 2018 onward. I am still of the firm belief that we’ll exceed the 42 MI Pro GB orders prior to the end of July 2018.

Since it has been decided to actually code the API for the RTX and to fully beta test it starting in early July 2018 the prior stated “must have” goal of 42 has been overcome by events, (instead of a “must have” goal, it is now just a desired goal to have 42 [or more] MI Pro GB orders prior to the end of this diyaudio GB period).

It would be crazy for Virtins Technology to spend the time programming the API for the RTX6001, beta testing and refining the code, if necessary, and then decide not release it, (since the work for the API for the RTX6001 will have been done already). Hopefully this explains the current state of affairs.

If you have any other questions please feel free to post them or email my AOL email address and I’ll do my level best to get your questions addressed.

V/R,

MI Pro

Hello Everyone,

In posting # 135 I had provided URL links to reviews of earlier versions of Virtins MI, please see: GB for Virtins MI Pro for RTX6001 autoranging/autoscaling & for soundcard end users - Page 14 - diyAudio. I had written to the ever friendly Editor-in-chief of AudioXpress Magazine (Joao Martins) concerning getting their permission to release Stuart Yaniger’s review of MI in the March 2016 issue of this magazine.

Mr. Martins was kind enough to send an email reply below and promised to make available the Virtins MI review in “The Audio Voice” (their weekly online newsletter). I wish to again give a big “thank you” and two thumbs up to Joao Martins for his superb assistance in this matter!

I the meantime, if we look at one of the URLs he provides in his email below Practical Test & Measurement: Sound Cards for Data Acquisition in Audio Measurements (Part 3) | audioXpress we see where Stuart Yaniger gives his thoughts and options in a sort type of executive summary on the following audio analyzer software: RMAA, AudioTester, ARTA, Virtins MI, REW, and HOLM Impulse.

Cut and pasted below is the executive summary by Stuart Yaniger giving his thoughts and options on MI in a comparison and contrast type of write-up vs. the other aforementioned audio analyzer software:

Virtins Multi-Instrument sports an amazing range of capabilities. Of all the software packages I tried for this article, it has the most features, the widest capability, the greatest flexibility, and the steepest learning curve. It is configured as a group of virtual instruments (thus the name), including a signal generator, a spectrum analyzer, a digital oscilloscope, and a multimeter. Add-on modules include a data logger and a LCR meter, as well as 3-D graphing capability. One of the interesting features is the library of windowing functions (which I will discuss in next month’s article) in .wav format so that you can customize or add your own window if you’re so inclined. In the month or so that I’ve had the Virtins package, I don’t think I’ve exploited even a tenth of its capability. The price for the standard edition is about the same as ARTA ($99.95). It is a tough choice but I bet that a year from now, after I’ve gotten a greater comfort level, this will be my go-to choice for software.

The above is a quick executive summary but the full article by Stuart Yaniger should be forthcoming due to the exceptional courtesy and generosity of Joao Martins in the upcoming issue of their wonderful online “The Audio Voice” weekly online newsletter. Remember, the above was written about the MI Standard, the MI Pro has far more features vs. MI Standard and it continues to add more worthwhile features all the time, e.g., GedLee Metric (Gm distortion), non-coherent distortion (NCD), the upcoming RTX6001 API, etc. Virtins Technology is constantly improving and adding additional worthwhile features to their already superb set of capabilities (and remember, all future updates for a given MI license type are 100% free for life too!).

By the way, please be sure to check out the Magzter platform URL link towards the bottom of Joao Martins email reply to me below i.e., great discounts on their online digital magazines.

V/R,

MI Pro
************************************​

Hi

Thank you for your email.

We normally make articles available online (for free) after some time, especially reviews.

In fact, the whole soundcard series by Stuart Yaniger is available online
Items about: Magazine Articles | audioXpress

In Part 3 of the series, Stuart quickly mentions the software tools he tried, including Virtins, here:
Practical Test & Measurement: Sound Cards for Data Acquisition in Audio Measurements (Part 3) | audioXpress

Normally, together with every single edition of The Audio Voice (our weekly newsletter)
The Audio Voice - Weekly Newsletter for audioXpress and Voice Coil Communities | audioXpress
We include a new article we make available online.
We’ll take your request and make the Virtins review available for next week’s edition.
We like to have the articles converted directly to html, which is searchable and much better quality (and in order not to encourage unecessary PDF sharing)
I will send you the link that you can share already starting this weekend.

As for the DIYaudio forum, yes most of us are there and there are multiple threads dicussing audioXpress content.
Both our technical editor Jan Didden and Stuart Yaniger, as well as many of our authors are members and regular contributors.

I’ll also send a note to Stuart for him to look at updating his review with the latest info.

Regarding AX subscriptions, we are renewing the digital distribution platforms we use, and there are some great deals out there.
One of those is the Magzter platform, which offers great discounts on annual subscriptions for the magazine
https://www.magzter.com/US/KCK-Media-Corp./audioXpress/Technology/
Help us spread the word.

Warmest regards

J. Martins
Editor-in-chief
www.audioxpress.com
https://www.facebook.com/audioXpresseditor
https://twitter.com/audioXP_editor
https://instagram.com/audioxpress

Last edited:
The first four questions that came off the top of my head:

1. Can I do software loopback measurements? Distortion, MLS frequency response and CSD, etc. This is an important aspect for determining whether any artifacts or issues are related with hardware, or software. This loopback should be conducted without any additional software like Virtual cables to avoid additional uncertainty in the loopback measurement.
2. Can measurements be done with a reference loop back input in order to take out the ADC effects? This is also an important aspect of understanding contribution of DAC to the measurement data when compared to pure software loopback.
3. If we know the contribution of sound card to the measurement, can we eliminate it from the final measurement of the DUT?
4. What is the resolution of CSD plots generated from MLS measurement? (time step per line)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi MI Pro,
That is amazing news. It really puts me at ease now as I know the program will fully interface to the RTX-6001. This is something I had desperately hoped for, and it come to pass.

So I'm in a great mood, very happy with this turn of events. Of course I'd like to see the number of committed people surpass 42 simply because it tells me that people can grasp the idea of what this means. I have to admit that I'm disappointed it didn't take right off as the benefits are so obvious. I really thought we would see the bulk of RTX-6001 owners seize this opportunity to magnify the effectiveness of the instrument.

If I had the money, I would definitely purchase the full version, but the Pro version along with the ability to program a test sequence will be an awesome package! I can't wait for it to be complete and ready for delivery.

Thanks so much to everyone who made this possible!!

-Chris

The first four questions that came off the top of my head:

1. Can I do software loopback measurements? Distortion, MLS frequency response and CSD, etc. This is an important aspect for determining whether any artifacts or issues are related with hardware, or software. This loopback should be conducted without any additional software like Virtual cables to avoid additional uncertainty in the loopback measurement.
2. Can measurements be done with a reference loop back input in order to take out the ADC effects? This is also an important aspect of understanding contribution of DAC to the measurement data when compared to pure software loopback.
3. If we know the contribution of sound card to the measurement, can we eliminate it from the final measurement of the DUT?
4. What is the resolution of CSD plots generated from MLS measurement? (time step per line)

Hi soongsc,

Thank you for your questions.

1. Very good point indeed. Software loopback is a very useful function to:

(1) Check the correctness of the software from end user’s perspective

(2) Check the correctness of the settings that the end user configures to measure certain parameters.

MI supports a few loopback modes at software level (in contrast to the hardwired loopback or loopback at sound card mixer level). To name a few:

(1) iA=oA, iB=oB (i.e. Input Ch. A = Output Ch.A, Input Ch. B = Output Ch.B)

(2) iA=oA, iB=oA (i.e. Input Ch. A = Output Ch.A, Input Ch. B = Output Ch.A)

(3) iB=oA (i.e. Input Ch. B = Output Ch. A)

The above (1) is self-explanatory. You can use it to check the correctness of the software or settings. (2) is designed for the purpose of checking dual-channel FFT measurement. For example, you can apply a user defined digital filter in the oscilloscope of MI to Ch. A only in order to obtain the Bode Plot of that digital filter. (3) is a sort of partial loopback, the input Ch.B is fed with the generated signal in output Ch. A directly by the software, while the input Ch. A is used to sample the live signal. One application of this mode is to obtain the impulse response through cross-correlation based on one-channel measurement method using stimulus such as MLS.

In additional to the above software level loopbacks, one can generate a signal from the signal generator of MI and save it as a WAV or TXT file, which can be subsequently opened or imported into MI for analysis.

2. Yes, MI supports the removal of the unflatness of the measuring device itself in magnitude frequency response measurement, and the gain & phase disparity in the two input channels of the measuring device itself in Bode Plot measurement.

After the loopback test, a frequency compensation file (or gain and phase compensation file) can be generated by right clicking the spectrum analyzer window in MI and select [Generate Frequency Compensation File (flat)]. This file can be loaded into the spectrum analyzer later to eliminate the adverse contribution from the measuring device itself.

3. Same as the above (2). MI supports up to two frequency compensation files (right click the spectrum analyzer window and select [Spectrum Analyzer Processing]>”Intra-Frame Compensation”>”Compensation 1” or ”Compensation 2”. One can be used for sound card, the other can be used for measurement mic, for example.

4. CSD function is currently not available. It may be added in MI’s add-on: Spectrum 3D Plot in the future, based on the existing spectrum 3D plotting facility in MI.

MI Pro, having reflected on the functionality and as an RTX owner I think I will sign up.

Great news, etlasr!

1- anatech
2- kevinkr
3- lemon
4- PH104
5- douggoldberg
6- bk856er
7- mlloyd1
8- tjencks
9- agdr
10- waltzingbear
11- Dennis Hui
12- jwilhelm
13- 1audio (Demian)
14- soongsc
15- jhenderson01075
16- jazid
17- lbud4
18- diyaudnut
19- SilentGrace
20- acg
21- Ghianni
22- etlasr

How to offiically place an MI Pro GB order

MI Pro, having reflected on the functionality and as an RTX owner I think I will sign up. Now all I need to do is find out what I need to do once I have rummage through the mountain on posts. Could take a while!!

Hello etlasr,

If you look at my 1st post to this MI Pro GB just under the top of the posting (under the “BLUF” paragraph) you’ll see two URL links. The one URL takes you to my posting # 74 and it addresses the question you’re asking, i.e., how to place your MI Pro GB order officially.

I am trying to make it simple to people by editing my 1st posting (I can’t modify any other postings after my 1st posting for they “lock” after about 30 minutes from my posting of them, but as the originator of this GB, I’m allowed to modify my 1st posting). Strangely, I’m not allowed to upload a newer Adobe PDF document however :)

As diyaudio member agdr has kindly taken care of part of the ordering process for you in his posting # 154 (thank you agdr :)

All that remains is for you to follow the 2nd part of my posting # 74 per the 1st paragraph of this posting, i.e., once you go to my posting # 74 you’ll see that the 2nd part ask you to email my AOL email address with your specific order (e.g., MI Pro alone, or MI Pro + an add-on or MI-Pro “full package”).

If you’re going to order MI Pro and 2 or more add-on modules, I would recommend you just purchase the entire MI “full package” to get all the add-ons for you’re basically at the same cost level anyway and you’ll save hundreds of $$$ vs. trying to buy MI Pro and each add-on separately.

Looking forward to getting your order to my AOL email address and please ask questions either on this GB posting forum or shoot me an email to my AOL address and I’ll get back with you ASAP.

Have a great day and welcome to the ever growing list of MI Pro GB purchasers :)

V/R,

MI Pro

Last edited:
Hi soongsc,

Thank you for your questions.

1. Very good point indeed. Software loopback is a very useful function to:

(1) Check the correctness of the software from end user’s perspective

(2) Check the correctness of the settings that the end user configures to measure certain parameters.

MI supports a few loopback modes at software level (in contrast to the hardwired loopback or loopback at sound card mixer level). To name a few:

(1) iA=oA, iB=oB (i.e. Input Ch. A = Output Ch.A, Input Ch. B = Output Ch.B)

(2) iA=oA, iB=oA (i.e. Input Ch. A = Output Ch.A, Input Ch. B = Output Ch.A)

(3) iB=oA (i.e. Input Ch. B = Output Ch. A)

The above (1) is self-explanatory. You can use it to check the correctness of the software or settings. (2) is designed for the purpose of checking dual-channel FFT measurement. For example, you can apply a user defined digital filter in the oscilloscope of MI to Ch. A only in order to obtain the Bode Plot of that digital filter. (3) is a sort of partial loopback, the input Ch.B is fed with the generated signal in output Ch. A directly by the software, while the input Ch. A is used to sample the live signal. One application of this mode is to obtain the impulse response through cross-correlation based on one-channel measurement method using stimulus such as MLS.

In additional to the above software level loopbacks, one can generate a signal from the signal generator of MI and save it as a WAV or TXT file, which can be subsequently opened or imported into MI for analysis.
Can I look at distortion and noise in the software loopback mode?

2. Yes, MI supports the removal of the unflatness of the measuring device itself in magnitude frequency response measurement, and the gain & phase disparity in the two input channels of the measuring device itself in Bode Plot measurement.

After the loopback test, a frequency compensation file (or gain and phase compensation file) can be generated by right clicking the spectrum analyzer window in MI and select [Generate Frequency Compensation File (flat)]. This file can be loaded into the spectrum analyzer later to eliminate the adverse contribution from the measuring device itself.
Can distortion contribution be removed? For example, if distortion shows up in software loopback, then is is possible to look at distortion contribution of the sound card?

3. Same as the above (2). MI supports up to two frequency compensation files (right click the spectrum analyzer window and select [Spectrum Analyzer Processing]>”Intra-Frame Compensation”>”Compensation 1” or ”Compensation 2”. One can be used for sound card, the other can be used for measurement mic, for example.
Again, is it possible to remove distortion contributions.

4. CSD function is currently not available. It may be added in MI’s add-on: Spectrum 3D Plot in the future, based on the existing spectrum 3D plotting facility in MI.
I will study the Spectrum 3D plot feature and see what it does. But lack of CSD and the CSD is an important feature that I use often. I need more lower noise and artifacts in this than what I use now.

Can I look at distortion and noise in the software loopback mode?

Can distortion contribution be removed? For example, if distortion shows up in software loopback, then is is possible to look at distortion contribution of the sound card?

Again, is it possible to remove distortion contributions.

1. Yes, you can look at the distortion and noise in the software loopback mode. Although the software generated sine wave is supposed to be ideal, i.e. no noise and no distortion, distortion and noise will still show up, but at a very low level if the measurement parameters such as sampling rate, test frequency, FFT size, window function, etc. are set correctly. The bit resolution (e.g. 8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit...), numerical calculation precision (e.g. 32-bit FFT, 64-bit FFT...), spectral leakage (determined by FFT size, sampling rate, test frequency and window function), ratio of sampling rate to test frequency (which determines whether quantization noise correlates with test frequency or not), etc. all play a part in the residual distortion and noise.

2. Nonlinear distortion contributed by the measuring device including software cannot be removed. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the residual nonlinear distortion of the measuring device itself is much lower than that of the DUT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.