Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

GB for Virtins MI Pro for RTX6001 autoranging/autoscaling & for soundcard end users
GB for Virtins MI Pro for RTX6001 autoranging/autoscaling & for soundcard end users
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2018, 09:16 PM   #21
MI Pro is offline MI Pro  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hanning vs. Hann naming & Thank you to Alan :-)

Hello Everyone,

Based on Alan’s posting (# 18) in this MI Pro GB forum, I have contacted my Virtins POC (the main programmer of MI, i.e., a person with a PhD degree in engineering) and he stated the below:

Dear MI Pro, thank you for notifying me about the “Hanning” issue. This actually made me open my dusty DSP book used in the university. It used ”Hanning”, which pronounced the same as its translated Chinese characters “汉宁. I always think Hann is a short form of Hanning ;-). See the link here:

Hann (Hanning) window - MATLAB hann

Having said the above, I will change “Hanning” to “Hann” in the MI software and in the MI manual. The software will be updated in the next week.

So thank you goes out to Alan for making this salient point!

V/R,

MI Pro
Old 3rd June 2018, 07:31 PM   #22
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi All,
I'm actually very surprised there aren't more takers for this package. The integration alone is worth $200 easy, that's as an add-on if you buy the regular package at list!

At this point I'm wondering if people aren't actually grasping the importance of integration between the software and hardware. People, this is HUGE!

-Chris
Old 3rd June 2018, 07:55 PM   #23
PH104 is offline PH104  United States
diyAudio Member

I’ll be signing up tomorrow- just need to study the options tonight.
Phil
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:04 PM   #24
bk856er is offline bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi All,
I'm actually very surprised there aren't more takers for this package. The integration alone is worth $200 easy, that's as an add-on if you buy the regular package at list!

At this point I'm wondering if people aren't actually grasping the importance of integration between the software and hardware. People, this is HUGE!

-Chris
I'll likely join in. There is a lot of detail to digest and the closure date is not near. There are important decisions to make about the options and $$ involved. I started to extract the signup table in pdf and haven't yet figured out how to easily get the table into an email, for example. I suspect there will be more takers who, like me, need a bit of time to get all the ducks lined up!

BK
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:30 PM   #25
modmix is offline modmix  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk856er View Post
takers who, like me, need a bit of time to get all the ducks lined up!
like me...
I did try MI a while ago - lot of features... lot of unexpected results... lot of questions...
The "package game" didn't make it easier to decide... Got the impression I shloud buy the full package - difficult...
Having an USB stick seems to be required...
Above .pdf states: "(just don’t lose your MI Pro USB dongle )." - what in case the stick gets lost or doesn't work anymore for whatever reason?
TIA
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:58 PM   #26
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi everyone,
Yes, I needed to look at the various add-ons to decide too. In the end, I already have a good LCR meter, so all I would need is the package called "Device Test Plan". If I were to get the packages for speaker work as well I would buy the complete package. I'd love to, but I can't afford it right now. The basic package offered is the "Multi-Instrument Pro", with integration to the RTX-6001 and the USB dongle. Should you lose it I would guess that it would cost $40 to replace along with some discussion to prove you had the packages to begin with.

Hi BK,
Quote:
I started to extract the signup table in pdf and haven't yet figured out how to easily get the table into an email, for example.
I wondered about that too. But I use Thunderbird, and it allows me to create a table. So I copied the table headers and filled in the information in the cells below. MI Pro said it was easy to follow. I'll try and attach the table to this post as a cut and paste ...
Quote:
Name
Address
email
# Lic
# Add on Modules
# full pkgs
Chris Bridge
<Address>
<Email>
1 - (4) Device Test Plan
Of course this was nicely arranged in a table with the headings and the information underneath. I removed my address and email address from this example. I imagine you could just line it up the way it pasted here, but put your information on the same line as the heading.

As I mentioned earlier, I bought ARTA, and while it works fine there is a lot it doesn't do, and you have to set each test up and run it manually. A real PITA compared with what MI will do. So my budget is already shot with the price of ARTA. I guess I'll try and use ARTA for something, otherwise it's money down the tubes for being able to use the RTX for only a few months. In a perfect world, MI Pro would have been available at the start with the integration for the RTX. It just didn't come down this way.

I'm very excited about this software. I can hardly wait until the GB is done and the software development is finished!

-Chris
Old 3rd June 2018, 10:21 PM   #27
Lbud4 is offline Lbud4  United States
diyAudio Member

I am likely in as well but I fear the lack of a perceived deal will keep the GB small. The automation is reason in itself but people have a hard time paying for software which is crazy because that is where a good portion of the value resides. Would love to have the automation for the RTX.
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:41 PM   #28
MI Pro is offline MI Pro  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Virtins will assist you with tech spt if you have problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmix View Post
like me...
I did try MI a while ago - lot of features... lot of unexpected results... lot of questions...
The "package game" didn't make it easier to decide... Got the impression I shloud buy the full package - difficult...
Having an USB stick seems to be required...
Above .pdf states: "(just don’t lose your MI Pro USB dongle )." - what in case the stick gets lost or doesn't work anymore for whatever reason?
TIA
Dear Modmix,

Thank you for your posting / comments. If you had unexpected results and questions when using MI in the past I would respectfully request you post them here or send an email to my AOL address and I'll follow-up with you or have Virtins themselves post a response.

As with any good measurement protocol, any results one obtains should be able to be replicated (provided the settings / test conditions are all the same). Vitrins is VERY good about technical support to their customers, but even if you were using a trail version and ran into a result you were not expecting / had questions, etc., please feel free to post your MI settings and test conditions in as much detail as possible, and Virtins will get involved and see if they can replicate the issues and/or help you to solve it. They really stand behind their products they sell with superb technical support, so please feel free to post to this forum or send emails to my AOL or to Virtins directly and they'll help you sort it out.

With respect to the "best buy," it is far less expensive to buy the MI "full package" all at once on the GB for a 10% discount vs. buying MI Pro and then all the add-ons via this GB (you'll save hundreds of dollars by doing so). If however, you don't need all the add-ons, than it would of course be less expensive to purchase MI Pro alone or perhaps one MI add-on via this GB instead. If you end up buying MI Pro via this GB and two MI add-ons, it would simply be less expensive and smarter IMO to go for the MI "full package" instead. Not sure if this is clear or not, if not, please post again or send me a message so I can try to assist you.

With respect to the lost of the USB dongle, it is the same for me for other USB dongle protected programs I own / use, e.g., LinearX LEAP v5.x, FilterShop, LspCAD v6.x, etc. (if I loose them, I have to buy the programs again - - well, not the case with LinearX since when Chris Strahm died in Nov 2016 LinearX went out of business, but you get the point). I will ask Virtins about the issue if your USB dongle isn't smashed, crushed but for some reason stops to work (I am fairly certain that so long as it wasn't physically damaged, you could mail the defective one in and get a replacement in exchange, but I will have to verify that).

Wishing you a great day over in Germany!

V/R,

MI Pro

Last edited by MI Pro; 4th June 2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Formatting error
Old 4th June 2018, 12:43 AM   #29
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

GB for Virtins MI Pro for RTX6001 autoranging/autoscaling &amp; for soundcard end users
I have elected to get the same options as Chris, I did think about the RTA option, but decided I don't need it at this time.

Being able to run a suite of automated tests is appealing.
Old 4th June 2018, 10:40 AM   #30
modmix is offline modmix  Germany
diyAudio Member

GB for Virtins MI Pro for RTX6001 autoranging/autoscaling &amp; for soundcard end users
Dear MI Pro,

thanks for your kind answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Pro View Post
results one obtains should be able to be replicated (provided the settings / test conditions are all the same).
In the trial phase I tried as much as possible to learn or to try out - at the expense of the documentation. Therefore, I am currently unable to provide any unexpected results in detail. Sorry.
Quote:
Vitrins is VERY good about technical support to their customers, but even if you were using a trail version...
Good news - I did not know that at the time.
Hope, I'll find another pc to execute another trial - will let you know of outcome, if any relevant.

Quote:
With respect to the lost of the USB dongle, it is the same for me for other USB dongle protected programs I own / use
Would be my first dongle protected program
Getting a spare dongle within decent time rather than buying the entire package again might be an option...

BTW: on my notebook there is no USB port left - is dongle and mouse connected via usb hub feasible?

Best Regards
Ulli

GB for Virtins MI Pro for RTX6001 autoranging/autoscaling &amp; for soundcard end usersHide this!Advertise here!