• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Official GB for DSD DAC Signalyst DSCv2

Yep, I see.
Debian image can be installed from a USB flash drive with using serial port to interact with.

Check HQP settings (see tab 1 in attached picture) and try as a Backend - NetworkAudioAdapter IPv6 too.

Sorry, I have no other clues for now. Tomorrow I'll try to install Debian + Botic exactly as described in HOWTO and give feedback.

As a option you may try to write ready image
BBB_Botic.pmf - Google Drive
This will help to understand what the problem is.

Just did that. Nothing changed...Must be something really fishy going on because yesterday morning HQP was able to see botic device until realized that I forgot to install davinci… After that I did 3 times flashing from the same sd card I used before when worked and just 15 min ago flashed emmc from the sd card containing your ready SD image.
Ok Vit. Thanks and goodnight...to be continued...

I noted some of these....

To determine the problems of your measurements, it is necessary to specify your test conditions.
1. How was the test signal generated?
2. Which player did you use to play the test signal?
3. What settings were used when playing the file? (preferably with screenshots)
4. On which pins did you measure (between HOT and COLD or between GND and HOT/COLD)?
5. What device did you use to measure the output voltage of the output signal (multimeter, oscilloscope)?
6. Could you make measurements after the transformer without load (using the test signal files from link)?
barrows - Google Drive

1. Stereophile Test Disc 3, track 21, 1 kHz at -20 dBFS. Multiply the AC voltage by ten to get the output of the DAC/Player at 0 dB.
2. Audirvana +, oversampling to DSD 256 with 0 attenuation (I usually use -3 to -5 attenuation to avoid inter sample overs/clipping).
3. See 2. above
4. differential: + to -, no ground
5. Fluke 87 III DMM
6. Note that for testing purposes I have only Edcor 150/150 transformers wired up at this point, I am waiting for 1527XLs, I will test again when 1527XLs arrive as this will provide proper loading. Perhaps this is a problem, as I am not an expert in transformer coupling at all! With Edcors, the output after the transformer was 6 dB down from the reading before the transformers. Seems that 6 dB insertion loss for the Edcor is excessive as well? These measurements were made with the DAC plugged into a preamp (old PS Audio 6.1 pre with unknown input impedance).

RE: 1, above, this testing method always gives correct results when measuring balanced output from other DACs.

F...g VirtualBox Host-Only network messing up with multicast... Now it works. So NAA on BBB never was a problem...:D
Vit do you still have some spare pcbs but just for DCS part, as I don't have Ian's devices?

Very glad to hear :).

Vit do you still have some spare pcbs but just for DCS part, as I don't have Ian's devices?
Yes, no problem. Green PCB is only 0,5 USD + shipment (~ 3-5 USD). How many do you need? I can send at the same day, as to pinnocchio.

DSC digital connection

Hi,

I have received my DSC (thanks Alexey and VIt for organizing this) and it's ready to be connected to my BBB via Twisted Pear's Hermes-Cronus combo. Could anybody please point me in the direction of an explanation of the map of the DSC digital input connector and which pins have to be connected to the digital source?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Giulio

Hi,

I have received my DSC (thanks Alexey and VIt for organizing this) and it's ready to be connected to my BBB via Twisted Pear's Hermes-Cronus combo. Could anybody please point me in the direction of an explanation of the map of the DSC digital input connector and which pins have to be connected to the digital source?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Giulio

It's in the user guide.
Both Vit and I have created u.fl headers for DSC2 to make connection easier.
In case of Cronus, you will need to supply 3.3v to DSC2.

Last edited:
giulio, have look at UserGuide for 2.5.2 (DSC Amanero pinout) or HOWTO BBB-McFIFO-DSC. Link to both are in the first message of GB topic.
Post them here too
DSCv2.5.2 USER GUIDE.pdf - Google Drive
HOWTO - BBB+McFIFO.pdf - Google Drive

I can't help with Cronus/Hermes-DSC wiring, because don't have it. I think it is pretty the same as McFIFO-DSC.

It's pretty much the same except I didn't know from where to wire DSD_ON line from Hermes and at the end I connected it to 3v3... no pop or clicks, DSD512 works great. On Amanero I couldn't get more than DSD256 reliably, DSD512 always had some background noise. Amanero users must experiment themselves with the latest firmwares (most are undocumented), and especially with drivers for windows ...For windows, 1.0.62. is the latest that works OK, and CPLD_1080 and 1096c3w2 as firmware and for slave mode slave_for_CPLD. This was for sync mode and Buffalo III dac and Acko reclocking board.
Latest unofficial drivers for windows 1.0.63 didn't work for me regardless of firmware so went back to stable for sync mode and Buffalo.

It's pretty much the same except I didn't know from where to wire DSD_ON line from Hermes and at the end I connected it to 3v3... no pop or clicks, DSD512 works great. On Amanero I couldn't get more than DSD256 reliably, DSD512 always had some background noise. Amanero users must experiment themselves with the latest firmwares (most are undocumented), and especially with drivers for windows ...For windows, 1.0.62. is the latest that works OK, and CPLD_1080 and 1096c3w2 as firmware and for slave mode slave_for_CPLD. This was for sync mode and Buffalo III dac and Acko reclocking board.

Latest unofficial drivers for windows 1.0.63 didn't work for me regardless of firmware so went back to stable for sync mode and Buffalo.

W2 doesn’t support dsd512, there is a new firmware at the bottom dsd512x44x48, working well with slave also supports i2c.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on an order for some small PCBs to interface my TPA Cronus and DSC2 boards, with an isolator for the mute and DSD-on connections;

GgMcOV1.png

I've already loaded the BBB image that Vit provided, following his instructions without a problem, and it seems OK so I hope to have my DSC2 working as an HQPlayer NAA based system before too long.

I already have another BBB-based NAA that works very well at DSD512 and 76bKHz PCM into an ESS DAC.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on an order for some small PCBs to interface my TPA Cronus and DSC2 boards, with an isolator for the mute and DSD-on connections;

GgMcOV1.png

I've already loaded the BBB image that Vit provided, following his instructions without a problem, and it seems OK so I hope to have my DSC2 working as an HQPlayer NAA based system before too long.

I already have another BBB-based NAA that works very well at DSD512 and 76bKHz PCM into an ESS DAC.
I had this made: OSH Park ~
Just received it today, and I'll test it tonight.

Hi Vit and Pavel

I received my DSC 2.5 several weeks ago but I have been busy with other projects but finally found time to lash together a working system over the last few days. I am using my DIYINHK XMOS usb board as a front end (when Amanero works properly with Linux at DSD512 I will think about buying one) and the board outputs into my chinese eBay TVC.

SO far all I can say is .... WOW.

Dead quiet. I spent a lot of time trying to get no-DACs working with flip flops, transformers, etc. I was able to get great sound but always overlaid with a level of noise that I could never eradicate. But your board has the same great sound but NO NOISE. Fantastic.

Its Day 1, I need to listen to a wider range of music before I can post any fully formed opinions but so far so good and I am really happy. Well done with board!!! For the money its great value.