• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

EU: Router circle jig 56mm-420mm in 1mm step

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I was in the need of a new circle jig as I upgraded to a DW625. The only options I found were from Jasper but they`re in inches. I wanted a precise one so I went on designing a CAD file and passing it on to a laser cutting facility. Here are the features:

- it can cut diamaters starting from 56mm to 420mm with a 12mm diameter cutter. If you exchange the cutter to a 6mm one, it will do 50mm to 414mm.
- step is 1mm in diameter
- it will have engraved numbers and legend
- the holes are not exact - I have added an extra 0.25mm to the radius as most chassis have +/- tolerance and I found it neccessary as speakers otherwise get stuck and are hard to fit in, especially after spraying
- holes are for the DW625 but I can add other routers as well, just ask. I will need some scan or drawing of your base. You can also drill the holes required later yourself using a piece of copy paper to mark the holes and transfer them onto the jig.
- material will very likely be 3mm aluminium-magnesium alloy which is harder. I wanted steel but laser guys said it will bend due to the temperature from the many holes so was abandoned as an idea.
- laser precision is +/- 0.3mm
- it has an option at the other end (auxiliary handle) to screw a handle or add a counterweight so end doesn`t lift off.

The best price offer was for EUR 44.51 per jig if I buy 4. For more, price will be slightly cheaper, but not much.

Are there any of you interested in buying a template so we can share costs? Aluminium is light, I think postage to anywhere in the EU will be around EUR10 but will doublecheck as it is wide and will need extra support on both sides to avoid bending due ot being hit while in transport.

The jig design is attached as a pdf. If anyone thinks it can be done cheaper somewhere else, I would be glad to use their facility. If you require or have suggestions for corrections, I am open minded to apply and improve the design, just let me know :)

Attachments

• Router_jig.pdf
    253.7 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
God dag,

Yes, indeed I would prefer 4mm. The alloy is pretty tough but my own preference would be for either steel or POM plastics. Steel cannot be drilled by laser due to its tendency to bend. The later (POM) is the best material but is quite pricey. Its tough, very wear resistant (it is often used for the production of gear box elements), feels greasy to the touch so will run smooth and is rust and glue resistant. But is expensive :D If more people show up interested, I think I can modify the file to get 6 pieces out of a 50cm x 100cm sheet of POM which will costaround 14.64 per jig produced (material alone, cutting should be similar so I think we an fit in EUR50 per unit).

Polyoxymethylene - Wikipedia

Nisbeth, can you, please, copy the base of your router - screws and opening on a sheet of A4 in real size so you can send me the copy as a pdf which I can print real size and transpose to the jig?

Last edited:
Hi Uwe,

It is 10mm away of the hanger hole, at 3-4mm thickness thats pretty stong but I think your point is how easy to hang it would be this way, so I moved it further to the edge. :) I have added the reworked file and also another addon I will include - connecting lines between the holes for easier navigation.

Attachments

• Router_jig.pdf
    262.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Ok, I added another extra - close to the hanger there are 4 holes which are slightly smaller - 2.3mm and 3.2mm in diameter and will be threaded to accomodate 3 and 4mm bolts. As these bolts are used as the guiding element, this way they can be stored on the jig itself and the thread will keep them in place.

Will add the connecting lines between holes tomorrow when I have some more time :)

Attachments

• Router_jig.pdf
    264.4 KB · Views: 149
I have also the Bosch

Hi Jorge,

can you forward a copy of the base of your router?

Can we agree on the material too (that`s to all interested), I will phone the laser facility in a few days, I need to add the lines for easier navigation.

1. POM
2. Aluminium alloy

Hi Mario,

I also have a Bosch router, mine is POF1200AE but has the same base as the POF1400ACE.

I am in doubt about the material, I use the jig barely, once in two years more or less...so I am not concerned about being durable...so just to make a decision, I would prefer aluminium. But if the rest of the groupbuy chooses the POM...it’s ok for me.

Regards,

Jorge

I don`t know if we can make 7, give me a chance to check it. Chance is I will make 8 so one will go on sale here or on ebay. I will let you know today, Henrik.

It takes a bit longer - I had to have this jig with my by the weekend but I need to visit a local Bauhaus and confirm the design fits exactly the Bosch models. Nisbeth sent me a scan and two rullers for scaling but I want to verify and I will do it today. This evening I will apply any adjustments to the files if needed (depends on how well it fits the actual POF1200) and will forward the file to several companies to gather offers.

The aluminium type would be 5083. It is among the strongest (without quenching, which may also cause the material to bend) and has good anodizing properties. Some of the strong types are not very accommodative to anodization so it has to be 5083. I used makeitfrom.com for comparison and some university research on chemical and corrosion resistance. 2024 has slightly higher Brinell strength but is not as easy to anodize and is very susceptible to chemicals. 5083 is considered marine grade and has excellent chemical and corrosion resistance at the cost of slightly reduced strength. However, it can receive deeper anodizing which I believe will make ti even stronger than the 2024 which appears to form very thin anodizing layer. 7075 was the best but it cannot be anodized and has copper and zinc which make it more reactive to some chemicals.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.