• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AKSA's Lender Preamp with 40Vpp Ouput GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That’s a good video. Fortunately, soldering a few resistors is not that hard. You need good tweezers and if your eyes aren’t what they used to be, magnifying goggles. You can apply solder to one pad first. Then hold part with tweezer and place on pad while heating it with iron tip. Then take tweezer and press down on part while reheating solder to make it sit flush. The solder other end. I find that solder paste works quite well with an iron if you don’t want to use a hot plate. It allows all solder to be applied before placement of parts. Just hold part down with tweezer while heating one end.

Look for SMT tutorial videos by Sparkfun. They are pretty good too.

That’s a good video. Fortunately, soldering a few resistors is not that hard. You need good tweezers and if your eyes aren’t what they used to be, magnifying goggles. You can apply solder to one pad first. Then hold part with tweezer and place on pad while heating it with iron tip. Then take tweezer and press down on part while reheating solder to make it sit flush. The solder other end. I find that solder paste works quite well with an iron if you don’t want to use a hot plate. It allows all solder to be applied before placement of parts. Just hold part down with tweezer while heating one end.

Look for SMT tutorial videos by Sparkfun. They are pretty good too.

Yes, that process is something I've seen on other videos. I saw a good one on drag soldering somewhere before, it was the inspiration to try SMD.

There is just something about the one I posted that makes it all seem much less daunting, it's some kind of calming effect voodoo, plus he explains a lot of what I assume are good practices, something you don't always find (I call it "expertosis" = the expert forgets what it was like not to know what he knows).

I ordered (two) cheap eBay SMT practice kits ... it's just a board with a bag of probably reject or super-cheap parts. It was something like $6. I will tackle that first, and maybe that will be enough to carry on with actual important parts. I have pretty much everything used in that video (and two HAKKO irons), except for the hot air rework appliance, but hopefully I won't need it.

If I ever decide to start working with reflow, what kind of hot plate or toaster oven do you think I would need?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It could probably be made to work if you solder it to the TH pads SMT style. But agree, JP’s BOM has the wrong part. I will take a crack at soldering it with SMT pins onto TH pads.

I tried to make it work - it won't so don't try it.

Here is the correct part:

TE Connectivity Part No. 2178710-8

2178710-8 TE Connectivity | Mouser

I need to update the BOM spreadsheet on post 1 with the attached file.

Attachments

• AKSA-LENDER-X-MB_PL_04_01_2018.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 891
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
GB Status Update - some changes, please read

GB #2 Closed
Thimios - 1 set SMT, Paid
Pinnocchio - 1 set SMT, Paid
Mituisho - 1 set SMT, Paid
Alurudin - 1 set TH, Paid
muthumuthiah - 3 sets all TH, ship all with order from GB #1, Paid, address confirmed
jwjarch - 1 set TH, Paid
jwjarch - 1 set of TH daughterboards only, Paid
jwjarch - 1 set SMT 0805/1206 (shipment to be combined with above), Paid
*** briansz - 1 set TH + 1 set TH daughterboards only, Paid ** changed from 2 full sets TH **
steefdebruijn - 2 sets TH + spare set SMT daughterboards, Paid
jmc207 - 2 sets: 1 TH and 1 SMT; +1 spare set TH daughterboards, Paid
marcus22ch - 2 sets SMT, Paid
vanofmonks - 1 set TH, Paid
pfisl - 1 set TH, Paid
neoinc - 1 set TH, Paid
redarc12 - 1 set of TH daughterboards only, Paid
gtose - 1 set SMT 0805/1206 version, Paid
Vunce - 1 set TH plus 1 spare set of TH daughterboards, Paid
Malvin - 1 set SMT 0805/1206, Paid
arthur - 4 sets, 2 TH & 2 SMT, Paid
cowneko - 1 set SMT 0805/1206, plus DZT5401 & fjv1845 set, Paid

---- List for GB #3 - Still Open ----
*nania - 1 set SMT, Invoice sent - need payment please
Pierre QuiRoule, 1 set TH, Paid
jugi63, 1 set TH, Paid
bk856er, 1 set TH, Paid
ft0601, qnty 2 complete sets TH, Paid
press57, 1 set TH, Paid
Skip Pack, 2 sets TH, Paid
Schlomoff, 1 set TH, Paid
vitalica - 1 set TH, Paid
*Jean Paul - 1 set TH, Please send PayPal address

I am printing shipping labels and double checking the contents for accuracy. Man, this is really taking a lot of time, especially with folks who have multiple orders... Will go to post office later today to drop off a lot of shipments.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
GB Status Update

GB #2 Closed
Thimios - 1 set SMT, Sent
Pinnocchio - 1 set SMT, Sent
Mituisho - 1 set SMT, Sent
Alurudin - 1 set TH, Sent
muthumuthiah - 3 sets all TH, ship all with order from GB #1, Sent
jwjarch - 1 set TH, Sent
jwjarch - 1 set of TH daughterboards only, Sent
jwjarch - 1 set SMT 0805/1206 (shipment to be combined with above), Sent
briansz - 1 set TH + 1 set TH daughterboards only, Sent
steefdebruijn - 2 sets TH + spare set SMT daughterboards, Sent
jmc207 - 2 sets: 1 TH and 1 SMT; +1 spare set TH daughterboards, Sent
marcus22ch - 2 sets SMT, Sent
vanofmonks - 1 set TH, Sent
pfisl - 1 set TH, Sent
neoinc - 1 set TH, Sent
redarc12 - 1 set of TH daughterboards only, Sent
gtose - 1 set SMT 0805/1206 version, Sent
Vunce - 1 set TH plus 1 spare set of TH daughterboards, Sent
Malvin - 1 set SMT 0805/1206, Sent
arthur - 4 sets, 2 TH & 2 SMT, Paid * waiting for correct street addrwss*
cowneko - 1 set SMT 0805/1206, plus DZT5401 & fjv1845 set, Sent

---- List for GB #3 - Still Open ----
*nania - 1 set SMT, Invoice sent - need payment please
Pierre QuiRoule, 1 set TH, Sent
jugi63, 1 set TH, Sent
bk856er, 1 set TH, Sent
ft0601, qnty 2 complete sets TH, Sent
press57, 1 set TH, Sent
Skip Pack, 2 sets TH, Sent
Schlomoff, 1 set TH, Sent
vitalica - 1 set TH, Sent
*Jean Paul - 1 set TH, Please send PayPal address

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I tested out the Aksa Lender pre with my VHEX+ amp by Vzaichenko today. It sounds excellent and gives reasonable volume control even with regular 30dB gain power amps. What's interesting is the improved noise/hum performance. I used to have a 1mV rms noise hum/hiss signal on the outputs with no music playing. Now when connected to the Aksa Lender pre (still same CD player source), the hum is gone! The output noise on the VHEX+ now measures 0.1mV and I can't hear any hum at all with ears pressed to the cone. So that was a fantastic result. The amp sounds even better now with this preamp driving it. Great dynamics and easy authority to power through complex passages and still sound clear. Bass from my sealed 8in RS225 woofers has great articulation and slam.

Last edited: