• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Interest for GB for MarcelvdG valve DAC

Would it not make sense to pursue the non-valve version of this design which the designer views as comparable in performance at much lower cost?

Perhaps there will be more interest.

Marcel have you done a GB for your sand version?

You mentioned it was also published somewhere I believe? If I’m remembering correctly, where can I find it?

PS I don’t wish to detract from or minimize what is obviously a very interesting, thoughtful and high performance design.

I simply think the cost is prohibitive to most.... and if performance isn’t compromised from a lower cost, more environmentally friendly option it should be considered as a viable alternative if this GB can’t get off the ground.

Last edited:
I haven't started a group buy for either version, Leadbelly started this thread for the version with valves.

Anyway, you can find the technical details of the solid-state version on this forum, 74AHC02 and 74AHC08 DAC with 97 dB(A) dynamic range The solid-state version is less expensive than the valve version, but it still cost me around 500 euros. Almost half of that is due to the FPGA module. The four-layer board is also expensive when you order only one of them, like I did.

With the single-ended version you can half the size of the (single-layer) reconstruction filter board, half the number of potcores and almost half the number of polystyrene capacitors. The four-layer main board stays as is, though. Rough estimate: maybe 100 euros less than a balanced version without output transformers, 100 euros plus 274.92 dollars (plus taxes) less than a balanced version with output transformers.

See pages 4 to 8 of the attachment for the filter options.

Attachments

• ThevalveDAC_PCB.pdf
    245.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Other ideas to reduce costs, most of which require some serious redesigning:

A. Make a native DSD version with raw DSD interface; this eliminates all digital signal processing, so you don't need an FPGA module anymore. The obvious disadvantage is that the DAC can't play PCM anymore. (The disadvantages of DSD compared to PCM are ultrasonic noise, unsuitability for editing and the inability to dither it properly.)

B. Keep the digital signal processing, but port it to a cheaper FPGA module.

C. Use smaller potcores.

D. See how far you get with only two PCB layers. I have no idea what noise floor this would lead to, though.

If you read the whole thread, you'll see that the group buy had dwindled to only include the board set, as the numbers and logistics just didn't make sense for FPGA or transformers.

If one was so inclined as to redesign for lower cost, the only target worth attacking is a lower cost FPGA port. Is there a more radical option, such as something as commoditized as a Raspberry Pi? Is there some high horsepower development board out there, say with daughterboard FPU or whatever functions might be required?