• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Baby Huey PCB

Any W.I.P. to share?

First of all; Marc, I hope you have recovered and your back is feeling better.

Then, has anyone already started building their amps? I am still building up the courage to get started, and some work-in-progress posts would help me get moving.

Thanks,

Laurens

Hello,

I am very pleased to see the interest of more members who missed the first GB and I don't want to leave them without any feedback, therfore I could make a new one in January if there is enough demand :)

Let start a new list...

medisinmannen 2 PCB
borys 2 PCB
reaper996 2 PCB
otiscampbell 2 PCB
ilorev 2 PCB

total 10 PCB

Please confirm your interest and the qty you want, for the price, it depend of the qty, the last GB was for 80 boards and the price was 11.00 € plus shipment... If the qty is less it could be around 20.00 €

For those who already ordered I have sent some building information but some lost them and asked them again therefor I have added them to this message :)

Cheers,
Marc

Attachments

• Building recommendations EL34 Amplifier 1 oct 2017.pdf
    775.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Connecting the Amplifier 3 oct 2017.pdf
    129.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Adjusting the Amplifier 3 oct 2017.pdf
    126.5 KB · Views: 166
One stereo set for me

Hello,

I am very pleased to see the interest of more members who missed the first GB and I don't want to leave them without any feedback, therfore I could make a new one in January if there is enough demand :)

Let start a new list...

medisinmannen 2 PCB
borys 2 PCB
reaper996 2 PCB
otiscampbell 2 PCB
ilorev 2 PCB

total 10 PCB

Please confirm your interest and the qty you want, for the price, it depend of the qty, the last GB was for 80 boards and the price was 11.00 € plus shipment... If the qty is less it could be around 20.00 €

For those who already ordered I have sent some building information but some lost them and asked them again therefor I have added them to this message :)

Cheers,
Marc

Hi,

I want an stereo set for me.

Thanks Marc,

Merry Christmas fo all

Hi jorge,

I know some people who have built the amplifier with the Toroïdy EL34PP and like it, but I agree 6.6k seem a little bit high for an EL34 push pull, this will be more compatible with 6L6 tubes... There is an other transformer from Toroïdy with a 4k primary inductance, which will accept higher current, the KT88PP :
TTG-KT88PP TOROIDY - Transformateur: de haut-parleur | TME - Composants electroniques and it can be a good choice with a less than 400 V power supply.

Cheers,
Marc

Hi,

I would like to update the list since there is one more candidate for two PCB : jcastellano :)

medisinmannen 2 PCB
borys 2 PCB
reaper996 2 PCB
otiscampbell 2 PCB
ilorev 2 PCB
mkm 2 pcb
papavienneau 4 pcb
gwrskien 2 pcb
jcastellano 2 PCB

Total 20 PCB

Regarding his question about Baby Huey EL34 PCB power supply, 225 V AC is OK but a little bit low, after rectifier we will have about 310 V DC, I will recommend at least 250 to 275 V AC which will give 350 to 385 V DC... This will be the maximum if you are building the amplifier with 400 V capacitors !

For the bias and the MOSFET, 50 to 60 V will be perfect, you can also use a transformer with two 24 V secondaries (easier to find) and connect them in serial to have 48 V AC... A small power of 10 VA will be enough.

For the heater I recommend to use a switching power supply either directly from the main (115 or 230 V) or from a lower than 25 V voltage secondary. There is a lot of Chinese switching power supply on internet at very low price :) If you want to make or to use a linear regulator you need 8 to 9 V AC secondary. The current will depend of the output tubes, from 5 A to 10 A for amplifier from 6V6 to KT88 (see photos, the first one give up to 10 A from main, I use it with satisfaction with EL34 and 6CA7, the second one give up to 4 A, it is used for only one channel 6V6, and the last one is announced at up to 8 A but I did not test it at such a level ?) !

Best regards,
Marc

Attachments

• Ampli EL34 avec switching.JPG
    Ampli EL34 avec switching.JPG
    385.9 KB · Views: 511
  • Ampli 6V6 avec reg 6.3 V.JPG
    Ampli 6V6 avec reg 6.3 V.JPG
    393.9 KB · Views: 464
  • Small chinese power supply.JPG
    Small chinese power supply.JPG
    398.5 KB · Views: 461
Hi,

Thank you for your interest in this amplifier, it is the result of several iterations from a thread started more than 10 years ago by Ian (gingertube) EL84 Amp - Baby Huey :)

The purpose of this PCB is to make a nice sounding amplifier without using very expensive "boutique" audiophile components and requiring only external power and output transformers since all rectifier and filtering part is already integrated to the design !

I have received one more request from Jacques in Belgium, who was already one of the first to build this amplifier, for 2 more PCB :

medisinmannen 2 PCB
borys 2 PCB
reaper996 2 PCB
otiscampbell 2 PCB
ilorev 2 PCB
mkm 2 pcb
papavienneau 6 pcb
gwrskien 2 pcb
jcastellano 2 PCB
pchw 2 PCB
jacques 2 PCB

Total 26 PCB

Cheers,
Marc

Hello,

Since we have now nearly 30 PCB in demand, the price will be 15 € piece for this quantity (it is a little more than the 11 € of the previous GB but the qty was higher at 80 boards !) if there is much more demand it will be possible to reduce the price a little bit. Shipment should be about the same :
- France : 3.33€
- Europe : 8.23€
- Others destinations : 9.48€
There could be some minor modification since postal cost may change after the 1st of January ? There will be an additional charge of 3€ for packaging and shipment cost like in the first GB. Please you can send me your email and post address by PM, I will send you Paypal invoice (I learn how to use it with the first GB :)) or if you want you can pay by bank transfert if you ask for it...

I will keep the Group Buy open until the first week of January since the subcontractor is closed during holidays and the boards will not be available before mid of January anyway, this will give a chance to the last interested hobbyists to place their order... Don't miss the GB this time since I don't plan to make a third one for this amplifier, may be an other for the Merlin Blencowe RIAA amplifier and his power supply, if there is enough demand?

About the FIRST GB I would like to make a final status since we are now working on an other one and I want to clear the first one :) Here is the list of shipped and received PCB :

silvercosworth 6 shipped received
rongon 2 shipped received
scd 2 shipped received
leejh 6 shipped received
manniraj 2 shipped received
carrier bag man 2 shipped received
matejsirk 6 shipped received
rene 6 shipped received
sigfire 2 shipped received
fabian85 2 shipped received
rpeter 2 shipped received
sylvain 2 shipped received
acccruz 2 shipped received
big cheese 2 shipped received
potepuh 2 shipped received
lucylu 2 shipped received
zman01 2 shipped received
cambe 2 shipped received
tomlang 2 shipped received
dieterk 2 shipped returned
overtheairbroadcast 2 shipped no feedback
faa 4 shipped no feedback
abszero 4 shipped received
lordoff 2 shipped received
mituisho 2 shipped received
Lutto 2 shipped received
Kroma 2 shipped received
samsie 2 shipped no feedback
pcan 2 shipped received
collux 2 shipped received

As you can see most people received their PCB except "dieterk" the PCB were returned to me by the post, I send him an email but I got no answer, Dieter if you read that please contact me by PM to tell me what I should do ?

Three others buyers did not announced that they have received the PCB : "overtheairbroadcast" in Canada, "faa" in Philippines and "samsie" in Hong Kong, but I think they received the package because it was not returned !

If you have made some progress on the assembly of your amplifier, we would like to get some feedback from you :) and if you have some questions don't hesitate to ask, we will all be very happy to help you.

Cheers and Merry Christmas :D
Marc