• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Folsom DIY7297 Amp & Antipole PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got my boards today, thanks Folsom! Gonna put it in this modushop case
iJZyglj.jpg

Jeremy,

I am really enjoying the Folsom amp. Loads of detail and very spacious presentation.

I do have a question about the volume control. My setup is:

Source: Arcam irDAC (Line output level 2.2Vrms)
Pre-amp: Creek OBH-22 passive preamplifier
Power Amp: Folsom Amp standard configuration (all parts from Mouser)
Speakers: TABAQ’s with Tangband W3-871 drivers (8 Ohms / 87 dB)

With this setup I can’t move the volume control past the 9 o’ clock mark without volume level getting too high.

Since the Folsom is only rated at 15 W/Ch, and the drivers are hardly high-efficiency, this is the opposite of what I had expected.

I am on 220V mains, but I am pretty sure I wired the transformer correctly. I have 22.2V DC coming off the Antipole. Heatsink on the chip hardly get warm to the touch.

It does not impact performance at all, but it still makes me wonder: is this normal behavior, or have I messed something up?

Cheers,

Laurens

I'm sure folsom will forward them to you in email.. he sent them to me after I ordered but mentioned it was in case they didn't come through already.. which they hadn't
edit: I'd offer to send them but don't want to pass out folsoms intellectual property without permission

I ordered all the parts a while back, and seeing that some where not immediately available I just thought "what the heck, there's too much to do anyway." So I'll get them beginning of next year. It also gives me some time to get the rest of the signal chain prepared, looking around at op amps for a pre stage just because I want to. Speakers have not arrived yet either. Will post when there's any progress on the amp.

Edit:
How are they on 4ohm loads?

Last edited:
You can test the antipole with no load. Just make sure that the voltage on it is down to nothing when you connect it to amplifier.

Voltage depends on the transformer used. If you have 15-16v transformer you should get 21-24v range.

Input bypass capacitors on the bottom of the board? No, not required.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.