• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Folsom DIY7297 Amp & Antipole PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
19v SMPS

Hi Jeremy,

Beginner's question: Can I use a 19V SMPS to feed the Antipole in stead of a transformer, or would you advise against that?

I have a bunch of old 19V laptop chargers laying around and I wondered if I could possibly put them to use in this project.

Thanks in advance,

Laurens

Thanks for your replies, Jeremy and XRK.

@ Jeremy: Understood, you don't recommend it

@ XRK: Interesting recommendation, but considering my skill level I am trying to make the build simper. Your suggestion would add more items to the equation. for that reason I prefer not to go that route.

So, I will stick to the "stock" configuration for the first build. Maybe for the second one I will be more brazen...

Cheers,

Laurens

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Honestly - this is as simple as you can get - connect a few wires, no soldering. Maybe one item more, but probably a lot cheaper too.

Yes, you can skip the mains trafo, the antipole PSU board and its expensive MUR diodes, caps, huge 22mF caps, and diode snubber caps.

Alternatively, for the more adventurous, you can also add an easy cap multiplier that can be made P2P with $3 in parts. The Cap Mx drops voltage by 4v relative to input so you get 15v out but -50dB ripple rejection added.

Simply connect 19v SMPS brick wires to +/- input and output of DC step up, then output of DC step up to Juma's easy peasy cap multiplier for super noise free PSU. It's not called "easy peasy" for nothing.:)

Here is schematic - input voltage is on left and output on right. Output is simply 4v less than input. But DC step up gives variable voltage so set step up to 18v + 4v or 22v and Cap Mx will give you a rock stable ripple/hum free 18v until the cows come home.

Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance Multiplier

Attachments

• Juma-cap-mx.png
    Juma-cap-mx.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Yes, you can skip the mains trafo, the antipole PSU board and its expensive MUR diodes, caps, huge 22mF caps, and diode snubber caps.

Alternatively, for the more adventurous, you can also add an easy cap multiplier that can be made P2P with $3 in parts. The Cap Mx drops voltage by 4v relative to input so you get 15v out but -50dB ripple rejection added.

Simply connect 19v SMPS brick wires to +/- input and output of DC step up, then output of DC step up to Juma's easy peasy cap multiplier for super noise free PSU. It's not called "easy peasy" for nothing.:)

Here is schematic - input voltage is on left and output on right. Output is simply 4v less than input. But DC step up gives variable voltage so set step up to 18v + 4v or 22v and Cap Mx will give you a rock stable ripple/hum free 18v until the cows come home.

Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance Multiplier

The problem with a regular capacitor multiplier is that it looks like a 1500uf cap or so, where as the KMR looks like an infinite capacitor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.