• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Folsom DIY7297 Amp & Antipole PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Discharge resistor for Antipole

Hi Jeremy,

I am planning to order the parts from Mouser coming weekend, but I have two questions on the discharge resistor:

1. Would mouser p/n 71-PTF5610K000BYEK be suitable (I just picked the first 10K through hole resistor I could find),or can you give me a recommendation?

2. Does the discharge resistor go on to the Antipole board on the resistor symbol next to the diodes? (I know it is the only available location, but noobs need confirmation...).

Thanks and take care,

Laurens

Anyone got some build pics to post?

This one is looking pretty nice, over at AC.

this discharge resistor interfere with the quality of sound??
why isn´t it on the boom list?

thks..

No ill effects. The amp usually discharges the caps VERY quickly, but some may have circumstances. The Antipole is designed to be used in lots of applications, not just the DIY7297.

Hi Jeremy,

My heatsink and thermal paste are supposed to be delivered to me today / tomorrow, so I will be populating the boards this weekend.

So by Sunday, I will have music - or magic smoke...

I will try to post some pictures once the amp is up and running.

Cheers,
Laurens

My build: good news and bad news

So this weekend I built my Folsom 7297 Amp and Antipole

The good news:
Everything came together without major issues
I haven't let any magic smoke escape
No breakers were tripped

The bad news:
Hardly any sound from either speaker using my phone as a source. Only when the volume is on maximum, you can hear music very, very softly.

I ordered the standard BOM from Mouser, I only added the discharge resistor 71-RN65D-F-10K. I simply soldered this on to the board, no switch or nothing.

Now, can anyone help me with trouble shooting? I have 18.5V AC coming into the Antipole, but I do not get a consistent DC voltage coming out of it (I assume the rectification takes place within the Antipole).

I have attached some pictures of the current status, in the trial setup.

Any help would be appreciated,

Laurens

Attachments

• Folsom 1.jpg
    Folsom 1.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 310
  • Folsom 2.jpg
    Folsom 2.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 305
  • Folsom 3.jpg
    Folsom 3.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 303
Can I get some bottom pictures?

It is possible the epcos naked silver caps are shorting the antipole.

Your input caps are mounted at the wrong end, the blue ones, dont know about the mkp's under it. Basically on the top ones they are connected to the same trace. The very first hole thag is not the inout for wires, is the hole connected to input wires. All proceeding holes are connected to the chipamp.

Thanks Jeremy,

Yeah, now that you point it out, it is pretty obvious the input caps are mounted in the wrong holes :eek:. I will start by repositioning them.

For the Antipole, I am now wondering if I actually put my DMM to DC setting when measuring the output...

Will make the changes this evening an post and update plus some pictures of the underside.

Cheers,

Laurens

SUCCESS!!!

Jeremy,

Many thanks for your sharp eye. After I got home I de-soldered the input caps and put them in the correct position, hooked everything up, and...
-
-
-
-
MUSIC!!!

After you pointed my foolishness out I really don't understand what I was thinking to put them where I did...

The amp has been playing in my living room for about an hour now, and I am really surprised and impressed with what 2 x 15 Watts can do.

Tomorrow I will hook my pre-amp up for decent volume control. Will report back in the weekend.

Thanks for a very nice product and for all your support.

Take care,

Laurens

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.