• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Folsom DIY7297 Amp & Antipole PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was listening to my Class A amps and needed a nice Class AB chip amp to compare, and so dusted off my glued-on-a-plank Folsom TDA7297 amp. I upgraded the cheap no-name MKT input caps to Wima 2.2uF 100v MKP's, shored up the connections from the amp to the banana jacks with solder joints, soldered on a PCB mount RCA jack, and soldered on a 5.5mm coaxial barrel jack for a 24v 5A SMPS. Listening to it now on my 10F/RS225 FAST speakers. It's a very nice sounding amp! I think the TDA7297 internal topology is a quasi-complementary output stage, which helps impart it with, I am guessing some nice H2 dominant harmonic profile.

Here are some photos of the revisted amp with some improvements. I put on a fresh TIP42 BJT for the cap Mx. The heatsink there may be a little small, and will be upgraded to a larger one soon. I am using a little fan-cooled GPU cooler fed by a 7812 with a resistor to get the speed way down for silent operation. One way to do this is to run flying leads on the cap Mx BJT and mount it on the GPU cooler heatsink as well - plenty of capacity left as it is not even warm with the fan running. Keeps the amp nice and compact. Amp is absolutely silent with ears pressed to speaker cone.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Running a SMSL Sanskrit 10 DAC from Win10 PC and playing tunes from a playlist on Amazon Prime HD.

Attachments

• Folsom-TDA7297-revisted-01.jpg
    Folsom-TDA7297-revisted-01.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 1,258
  • Folsom-TDA7297-revisted-02.jpg
    Folsom-TDA7297-revisted-02.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 1,236
Last edited:
I'm planning on trying out dsp active crossover and bi-amping.. what gain does this amp have? my bass amp is iceedge 1200as2 with 25.8db gain so I guess i need to know for level matching.. this one will be used to run my 94db sensitive fullrange for only tweet/midrange duties

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.