Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

NDK NZ2520SDA oscillators group buy
NDK NZ2520SDA oscillators group buy
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2017, 04:11 AM   #151
Ben Mah is offline Ben Mah  Canada
diyAudio Member

I suggest practice. SMD resistors are cheap for practising your hot air soldering.
Old 2nd December 2017, 11:37 AM   #152
Lorien is offline Lorien
diyAudio Member

Hello Jack! Thank you for confirming the delivery of your SDAs! If it does help you, I'm using both soldering iron and hot air station to solder those tiny parts!
The temp on both is set at 330 degrees centigrade but frankly I have no clear idea if the actual temp is matching the one displayed on the gears. Either way, I'm usually cleaning the place where the oscillators will be soldered, in case there was an older solder there, especially the ones mostly based only on tin.
I'm mostly using the Sn63/Pb37 solder wire due to low melting point and solder wick to clean up the old solder. After that I'm cleaning the place with isopropyl alcohol and put some new flux in there. After that I'm using the soldering iron with a small tip to make four "new" solder bumps on the places where the new part will be soldered. The idea is to keep the bumps equal so that your oscillators be soldered as parallel with the PCB as possible.
Do not make those bumps too high because you can end up with shorts! Not to mention that the metallic package of the NDK oscillators will love to take a 'taste' of that melted solder!
After that, the NDK oscillator will be kept in place with tweezers and use hot air gun to heat up the place. Remember to NOT keep the air nozzle straight above the part! You have to heat up the surrounding copper pads as well by moving the nozzle in circular form. When the bumps under the SDA oscillators are melt then your part will get self-centered above the footprint.
Basically you can move the part with hot air flux. Speaking of air flux, my station is set around a scale of 2.5 from 6 (maximum).

As you can see I'm not using solder paste of any kind because in my experience, the solder paste does not make a good bundle with hot air station! there are some exceptions though but most of the good results are involving preheaters as well... but, in my opinion, you don't need those for your work!
I hope it helps!

EDIT: I forgot to say that the nozzle tip I'm using is rather small, I guess it has the diameter of the NDK SDA itself. This way I can work on small areas without affecting the surrounding parts too much (by temperature). If the nozzle you're using does have a bigger diameter then you can compensate by rising the value of the air flux and then by rising the temp.

Last edited by Lorien; 2nd December 2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 2nd December 2017, 03:02 PM   #153
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Lorien: Thanks for the tips.

I am happy to report that soldering the SDAs are successful!

I took a different approach as my hot air rework station is still in transit so I tried using my Hakko hot tweezers to solder the SDAs. I tined all 4 pads with solder, placed the SDA on top, and then use the hot tweezers to clamp the SDA to place it in-place while heating up the pads at the same time.

The SDAs survived despite being heated by the hot tweezers at 350C directly for about 5 seconds. While I am at it I also soldered two Crystek 957 - super easy by comparison.

I verified the oscillators by connecting them to a lab power supply at 3.3V and then used a scope to check the output (see attached).

One question: The Ian adapters have three sets of pads on the underside for decoupling caps. I installed just one cap of 100nF supplied with the adapter. Is that sufficient?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2240_Small.jpg (230.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2244_Small.jpg (271.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 8th December 2017, 01:33 PM   #154
m.massimo is offline m.massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

I'd like to thank Lucian for the excellent job at replacing NDK in my WaveIO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X1_new_201712.jpg (75.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg X3_new_201712.jpg (73.5 KB, 64 views)
Old 11th December 2017, 09:51 AM   #155
Lorien is offline Lorien
diyAudio Member

Hello Massimo! With welcome!

NDK NZ2520SDA oscillators group buyHide this!Advertise here!