• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for RTX6001 Audio Analyzer with AK5394A and AK4490

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duties are just a very minute part of the importing charges for shipments to Canada. When I purchase PC boards from China DHL charges me more for the import fees than the actual shipping, and none of those fees are duties. It's even more painful if you have your own import broker. They charge the same money, but you need to do their paperwork for them and everything sits at customs for an extra week and a half.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
While there may be no duties, there would be sales taxes, which I have no
problem with. Where things get nuts is the courier companies laying
on processing fees, on top of brokerage then usury on the sales tax amount owing...

A year or so I got something through FedEx, where I got one bill for the
package and then a second bill (with all the additional crazy fees) for the
collection of the first bill. (The two bills came at the same time.)

With the post office, you pay a minimal flat rate processing fee and the sales taxes
applicable. No highway robbery.

the Carrier is already paid for an International delivery. That should include their costs of International processing.
They don't need an extra for a fee they have already been paid for.

I am sure this is not part of the contract between the Exporter and the Carrier.
We should be able to put a stop to this.
How?

It happens with imports into the UK. Even when the tax due is zero, the Carrier still claim their extra fee.

As goods are imported into a country customs wants documentation on contents as to materials, country of origin and UL approvals, ect. This is the loophole that allows the carriers to rape and pillage. There is next to nothing required on the paperwork. I know this because I've been forced by the theives to do the paperwork for them many times while still paying them for it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dennis,
Our postal system works as well as any courier does. Better than some, less damage than companies like UPS (oops!). Even if it took an extra week, I would still prefer to use the postal system.

Even the US postal system has been greatly improved. Not as good with tracking, but their damage rate has dropped. It still takes a long time for a parcel to wind it's way through their system. I have heard that the English post is also excellent, and likely most EU countries would be similar.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Keep smiling Andrew, the effects of the extra charges will be devastating over here. You are about to hear a great moan and cry from our North American members. Couriers have this charge fairly fixed between them, so one is as bad as the other for these charges.

This price fixing must be against the law in some way. When asked for an explanation, I was told that the charge was for ... paperwork! It is insane. I'd love to turn the tables on those companies some day.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Different situation here in the U.S. import tariffs are small if levied at all, and tariffs/brokerage fees are usually collected in arrears, and have not been significant in relation to the value of the item in question. (DHL and UPS.. I have never had to pay a tariff or brokerage fees on something that came in the mail)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dennis,

Even the US postal system has been greatly improved. Not as good with tracking, but their damage rate has dropped. It still takes a long time for a parcel to wind it's way through their system. I have heard that the English post is also excellent, and likely most EU countries would be similar.

-Chris

IMVLE this is only true of packages going to Canada which has always lead me to believe that the problem is on your side of the border or customs. When I buy stuff in Canada it gets here in 3 or 4 days at most. Except during the Christmas holidays inexpensive 2 - 3 day priority mail takes 1 - 3 days from anywhere in the country. I have never, ever had something damaged by the USPS which is why I use it so much. I'm a big fan, and the people in my local post office are the best.

(I don't use parcel post, in most cases it is much slower and is not always available to a specific destination, Fedex or UPS are used in that case)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kevin,
USPS has damaged and lost packages for me. When I want to track a package, I don't see anything until it hits our border. Later USPS comes up with a trail. The package that went missing did so in New York. USPS could track it there and no further. It would have been nice to get that Heathkit transistor tester (I collect them). It was an IM-30 I think.

Recently I was able to track a package coming up USPS from California. It went to all kinds of places and finally made it here in about 2 weeks. Once it hit our side, I had it in 2 days including customs processing.

Same for shipping down to the States. I can track a package until it hits the border. Then I don't see anything until about a day after it arrived. I'm pretty sure USPS has issues. It might be as simple as the sheer volume of products it moves, I don't know. All I do know is that in the last couple years, it has been a lot better than it was.

Internal mail is fine here, as I'm sure it is for you Kevin. It's the bloody border. We may as well have a wall that you have to throw packages over.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I expect that invoices will be sent out early next week, hopefully Monday.
Whether all invoices will be sent at the same time, I don't know at the moment.

Production is progressing. I have attached a picture of some of the assembled units. The last things that need to be done are final adjustments/check and packaging.

Attachments

• RTX6001 production.jpg
    RTX6001 production.jpg
    976.6 KB · Views: 417
Status
Not open for further replies.