Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

GB for RTX6001 Audio Analyzer with AK5394A and AK4490
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 12th January 2018, 08:06 PM   #761
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

I connected my HD650 headphones directly to the RTX and selected the RTX in the System Preferences Sound control panel (iMac). Works right away.

However, unfortunately, volume control is limited to the physical switches on the RTX... A three-step volume control is a bit rough even for a tolerant dane like me

How come software like ARTA, REW etc. can adjust the output, but "music" software like iTunes etc.cannot?

The best USB DAC in the world, but with a 3-step attenuator

P.S. To my personal taste the lowest output level (-20dB) is actually quite pleasant
The 0dB is party time, and I did not even try the 20dB as I fear for my headphones.....

Old 12th January 2018, 11:24 PM   #762
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Thanks, then I will just need to figure out what’s wrong on my setup.

Old 13th January 2018, 04:36 AM   #763
cwtim01 is offline cwtim01  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

The first set of fix PCB that RTX sent me was loss in transit, but their support is great and they sent me a second set, which finally arrived yesterday. I'm impressed that they even prepare all the required wires with spares.

So I followed the instruction published by JensH and get the mod done today, it passed the test mentioned in post #686 and everything is working as expected. Now I'm tempted to try the transformer rotation mod of PaulBC.

I also tried listening to the RTX as DAC, works great with JRiver Media Center and it sounds very similar to my Lynx Hilo DAC, a very clean and neutral sound. I use a balanced headphone amp after the DAC, so volume control is not an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTX mod.jpg (577.8 KB, 194 views)

Old 13th January 2018, 04:39 AM   #764
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried the unbalanced outputs? Can sound play through these?

Old 13th January 2018, 05:34 AM   #765
diyAudio Member

Not playing any sound, even when checking the channels in the Audio Midi setup utility, no sound comes out. I am going to pull out the other unit to try.

Old 13th January 2018, 05:45 AM   #766
JensH is offline JensH  Denmark
diyAudio Member

@cwtim01
Looks good
Having a headphone amp is a good idea. I agree that 20 dB volume steps are a bit rough

@soongsc
The unbalanced outputs are just the (+) wire of the balanced output. So compared to the balanced output, the signal will be 6 dB lower. And the impedance is 50 ohm.

Old 13th January 2018, 06:29 AM   #767
diyAudio Member

Default GB for RTX6001 Audio Analyzer with AK5394A and AK4490

I am out of ideas. Two units no sound on two MacBooks. I checked the Audio Midi setup app while playing, when I start to play, the playback device symbol will jump away from the RTX, when I stop playing, it will jump back to the RTX. This is weird!
I am wondering, what data format should the RTX received? Integer or floating point?

Last edited by soongsc; 13th January 2018 at 06:35 AM.

Old 13th January 2018, 07:14 AM   #768
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac View Post
How come software like ARTA, REW etc. can adjust the output, but "music" software like iTunes etc.cannot?
The audio analysis tools adjust the amplitude of the test signal before sending the signal to the audio hardware. iTunes does not do that, but leaves the volume control to the operating system and the audio hardware itself. iTunes just tells the music playback system to set the volume accordingly. This function is implemented in almost all "soundcards" (often on the DAC chip, sometimes in the analog output stage).

Old 13th January 2018, 07:17 AM   #769
diyAudio Member

Jriver actually allows doing it either way.

Old 13th January 2018, 07:23 AM   #770
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soongsc View Post
Jriver actually allows doing it either way.
Did you try with using standard Apple software only? Maybe Jriver messed up / blocked the USB sound interface somehow? I had a similar issue with REW once.

I'd turn everything off (computer and RTX), disconnect USB cable, make sure no other audio intefaces are connected and no AirPlay devices within reach, restart computer and RTX, reconnect USB, and then try with iTunes without touching any other software first.

The next step would be to try with a non-Mac computer.

Closed Thread

GB for RTX6001 Audio Analyzer with AK5394A and AK4490Hide this!Advertise here!