Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

GB for RTX6001 Audio Analyzer with AK5394A and AK4490
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2017, 10:10 PM   #591
etlasr is offline etlasr
diyAudio Member

I will be making a template for the screen using aluminium (i.e. the side of a used beer can) before I cut into my limited stock of mu-metal so if that piece of aluminium works as well as the results I have achieved with mu-metal then its QED for capacitive coupling and wont have to use mu-metal.
Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM   #592
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It is very likely to be electrostatic (capacitive) coupling. I am not sure how much of an issue this will be with a low impedance external source connected to the input. The improvement shielding brings may be worthwhile for those of us measuring devices with higher source impedances.
Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM   #593
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

The input impedance is high enough that very little current will be circulating so very little magnetic field to couple. The beer can should be fine. However aluminium is a real PITA to solder to. If something from this list would work it would be great: RF Shields | DigiKey
Old Yesterday, 03:15 AM   #594
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

If you are dealing with an electrostatic issue, then copper should be fine. Sheet or thin PCB material should work I would think.

-Chris
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM   #595
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etlasr View Post
I will be making a template for the screen using aluminium (i.e. the side of a used beer can) before I cut into my limited stock of mu-metal so if that piece of aluminium works as well as the results I have achieved with mu-metal then its QED for capacitive coupling and wont have to use mu-metal.
Try a tin can.
It is a tin plated steel can that is easy to solder to.
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM   #596
etlasr is offline etlasr
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Try a tin can.
It is a tin plated steel can that is easy to solder to.
I use aluminium (beer can) just to make a template to get the shape right (its a bit of cut and try as its too awkward to access to measure up) but if I get the shape right it will just sit in the ground clips provided on the pcb so no soldering required so if aluminium works as an adequate (capacitive) shield then job done.
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM   #597
etlasr is offline etlasr
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
It is very likely to be electrostatic (capacitive) coupling. I am not sure how much of an issue this will be with a low impedance external source connected to the input. The improvement shielding brings may be worthwhile for those of us measuring devices with higher source impedances.
I certainly recognise that leaving the inputs floating is an unrealistic testing scenario so did a very quick test with a shorted input, there was a reduction in cross talk as expected but still there hence experiment with a simple shielding configuration.
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #598
acg is offline acg  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Christmas Schedule

Hi Jens,

Just wondering what the plans are over Christmas regarding further orders? My RTX must be due soon for invoicing (#56) but it is summer holidays here and most businesses shut down for at least a couple of weeks but I don't know if that happens in your part of the world (definitely not summer there!). Should I expect a delivery in the next month? If so, I'll have to arrange for the neighbour to look out for it while I am at the beach (tough life).

Cheers,

Anthony
Old Today, 07:27 AM   #599
canvas is offline canvas  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Just got the package. However, DHL still charged me $14 for their pre-paid tax service! (They were paying $53 for my tax and charged me $14 for that) With the T/T transfer, the total surcharge comes to $71. If RTX really want to do do business with end users, you got to offer more choices for customer, including payment method and carrier. Speaking of the pre-paid tax service, UPS is $3 and Fedex is free of charge here. It seems DHL is the most expensive, and for that reason I will never choose them as my carrier in the future.

Poting
Old Today, 03:20 PM   #600
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Poting,
Watch out for UPS, they are BRUTAL with charges. They are the most expensive carrier in Canada.

-Chris

GB for RTX6001 Audio Analyzer with AK5394A and AK4490Hide this!Advertise here!