• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for RTX6001 Audio Analyzer with AK5394A and AK4490

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gluca,
I think someone is trying to organise a group buy to see if they can get a discount. Keep your eyes on these threads to find out.

Even at their list price, from what I have seen of this unit you can't beat that price. The construction is excellent (looked at the shield mounting clips). Saving up for one of these is definitely worth while if you need a tool like this. The alternative is an Audio Precision, and that costs 4 ~ 5 times the list price here.

-Chris

Closer to 11 times the price for a APx555.

Actually, down to 0.00006% with output at -25, amp at 20dbv, and input at 1dbv.

99vEqkf.png

Last edited:
I have to admit that THD+N measurements from Audio Tester is very tricky... Attached are the settings I used for the measurement at post #613.
Thanks for sharing.
Would pls indicate which Sound DLL you use.
Reason why I'm asking: I never got AudioTester working with ASIO Sound Version - no sound is send to the sound card (eg. Lynx L22, Steinberg UR12) => no measurement.
Would be great to have that sorted out before my RTX6001 arrives ,-)
Ulli

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for sharing.
Would pls indicate which Sound DLL you use.
Reason why I'm asking: I never got AudioTester working with ASIO Sound Version - no sound is send to the sound card (eg. Lynx L22, Steinberg UR12) => no measurement.
Would be great to have that sorted out before my RTX6001 arrives ,-)
Ulli

When was the last time you updated audiotester? I had a lot of problems with an earlier version of V3 on both win 7 and XP with ASIO and audiotester, there may have been a bug.

The ASIO driver bundled with the RTX software at least in windows 10 seems rock solid, I've not had any problems with audiotester or Arta using ASIO.

I have been using a relatively old version of Audio Tester v3 (Build 20), and it worked OK for most functions, including ASIO, except for unreliable THD+N readings.

I just downloaded the latest Build 27, installed it and ASIO doesn't work properly (cannot select sample rate, and AudioTester crashes after ASIO is selected) anymore. I downgraded back to Build 20 and then everything worked as before.

It seems the build does have an impact. Unfortunately the AudioTester website does not allow downloading of earlier builds, otherwise it maybe worth to download the different builds and see which one works best for a particular PC.

Last edited:
I made a quick test with AudioTester V3, RTX at my default 0dB/0dB setting, got -122dB THD @-15dBFS.

At 20dBV/10dBV setting, reached -130dB THD (output @-10dBFS).

Thanks for publishing your results. I have now tried all sorts of in / out combinations on loop back and the best I can get so far is a THD of about -123dB which is of course impressive but will keep looking as it seems quite a bit short relative to reports of e.g. -130dB.

but will keep looking as it seems quite a bit short relative to reports of e.g. -130dB.

Some observations I had:
  • 44.1kHz will give lowest THD, than other sampling frequencies.
  • Disabling the other channel during measurement will give a significant difference.
  • My left channel is better than my right channel.
Anyway, the spec says typical of -124dB so you're very close already. And figures like -130dB are not always repeatable (I got -130dB this morning, but the 3H rise a bit in the afternoon and now I only get -129dB, or I might have damaged the generator while accidentally connecting an external generator to the RTX output port - was intending to connect it to the input for calibration)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Some observations I had:
  • Disabling the other channel during measurement will give a significant difference.
Anyway, the spec says typical of -124dB so you're very close already. And figures like -130dB are not always repeatable (I got -130dB this morning, but the 3H rise a bit in the afternoon and now I only get -129dB, or I might have damaged the generator while accidentally connecting an external generator to the RTX output port - was intending to connect it to the input for calibration)

You are right that using only one channel reduces the distortion. This is related to the ADC, where one AK5394A handles both channels. If one channel has no signal, the distortion on the other channel is lower. So for very critical measurements this can be a way to get the best performance.

You are right that using only one channel reduces the distortion. This is related to the ADC, where one AK5394A handles both channels. If one channel has no signal, the distortion on the other channel is lower. So for very critical measurements this can be a way to get the best performance.
Does the same applies to the DAC's? If so, it might affect a two tone IMD test, where one tone is generated by 1st DAC and the other tone is generated by the 2nd DAC. A Waveterminal X192 for example, fails in this respect (more or less), as it suffer from too much nonlinear cross-talk (see also DiAna, 7th line).

Cheers, E.

To all,
NB: The limitations on the demo version of DiAna has been relaxed
a bit. Now, it's more user friendly. Please give it a try. See: DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer

Some observations I had:

The lowest I can get is about 0.00005. How are you disabling the other channel?

My suggestion. Jensh can produce a new ADC - standalone for this purpose ( with one channel only with lowest Distortion product)!
Let us explore what we can do with RTX including software for reliable FFT with noise/distortion numbers. I am rather learning to set these different software correctly to identify the one that would be useful to my needs.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Its possible to "bond" the two channels of the AK5394a together. You can even use 2 or more chips. You need a bit of DSP magic to implement this. You will get an SNR improvement and possibly some distortion improvement. Its a lot of complexity initially and the AK5394a is a pretty expensive chip to start with.

Adding a suitable notch filter will get better results and be a lot easier if what you want is measured results.

Very few audio products approach this level of performance so your entering "Distortion Nut" territory. Interesting but really not that useful. I have a "time nuts" level clock thats within something like 50 nS but its meaningless in reality to me.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I agree with Demian. If you really want to measure low levels of distortion, a notch filter is the way to go.

I assume that the increased distortion, seen when driving both channels, is due to some on-chip crosstalk, but I have no way of knowing/verifying for sure.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
balanced vs. single ended

I did a few measurements to compare the use of balanced and single ended interconnections between the RTX and Victor generators, and the RTX detector. The measurements were taken first with balanced interconnects and then with single ended, without changing anything else.

The first two are using the RTX generator (i.e. loop-back) and the second two with the Victor.

Balanced is more pleasing to the eye, even if the actual THD and THD+N measures do not change dramatically.
Nevertheless, I seem to have quite a lot of common mode junk around here....

Attachments

• RTXBalBal.png
    RTXBalBal.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 242
  • RTXSeBal.png
    RTXSeBal.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 237
  • VictorBalBal.png
    VictorBalBal.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 235
  • VictorSeBal.png
    VictorSeBal.png