Component Kit for Ultra Fast Diode Bridge. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2004, 07:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Component Kit for Ultra Fast Diode Bridge.

Right, I tought I would set this up in a new thread, as the old one for the PCB order is getting rather bussy now.

I have been having a look about at putting together bits for a comonent kit for this project now and I ahve come to a point where I need peoples oppinions on what to do.

Basicaly, I can get together the heatsinks, capacitors and resistors needed for one rectifier PCB for 4.50 (as long as there is enough intrest to hit the price breaks at 100+ unit quantities, so that would be 25 kits). This would include:

four heatsinks (around 9degc/w, at 50.8mm in length)

four 100nF, 250V metalised polypropylene X2 Capacitors

four 100 ohm 0.6W, 1% metal film resistors

Obviousley, I will still be including all of the terminal lugs with the boards, so this would provide everyting but the diodes. Which leads me on to my main point of concern; basical these diodes are quite expensive unless we want to buy a lot of them all at once (if there was enough intrest to get up to 25 kits worth of diodes - 100 of them - this would bring the price down to about 1.50 each, or 6.00 per kit).

Now, what I would like to know from people is who would be intrested in the kits without the diodes (for 4.50 each), and who would be intrested in kits with the diodes (about 10.50 each). If people would state their intrest here, allong with how many of each (or either) they would be intrested in it can give me some idea as to wether or not this would be feasable to organise.
Old 17th March 2004, 08:03 PM   #2
SineEra is offline SineEra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

BP
Interested in the whole lot from source please.
Are the other items, caps and resistors the best quality as I am not skimping on anything to do with my Aleph X, would rather wait another month and get the best available.

I presume the diode is the BYW99W-200.

thanks

Simon
Old 17th March 2004, 08:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Interested in 2 full kits with diodes.

Boy, your prices are great! Even with the cr@ppy exchange rate at the moment.
Old 18th March 2004, 07:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I ordered boards from you but at these prices I would like component kits as well!
Depending on the current spec of the diodes I would be in for either 2 complete and 4 kits without diodes or 6 complete kits.
I would like to use these in my Pass Aleph 5 clones and my gainclone. Current spec for the gainclones is not so critical I guess. But for the Aleph's I need about 20Amps, are the diodes up to this?

Regards,

Jarno.
Old 18th March 2004, 10:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi, sorry about that, I did forget to mention which diodes I was supposed to be going for. The ones I had looked at getting are the ST microelectronics BYW99W-200 dual fast recovery diodes in a TO-247 package which I believe are the same type as used in all current PASS power amps (so they should be fine for an Aleph 5).

The only minor problem that I can envisage with this group buy is that there are large lead times on the haetsinks for this kit. I have come up with two possible sources so far, but they are slightly different sinks, and at different prices (but hopefully I should be able to get the majority at the lower price, so it won't effect the overall kit price, but I guess I will just have to deal with that as it comes).

Also, SineEra, whilst the resistors are not quite 0.1% dale's, they are good quality 1% 0.6W metal film types from TruOhm and should be more than good enough for what they do. same goes with the caps, which are also good quality items (with the added benifit of being X2 rated, so they are strong enough to sit on a live 240V mains line without being damaged).
Old 18th March 2004, 01:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default I'll take three

Andrew -

Three kits w/o diodes, but my paypal account is sucked dry. Does a money order work?
Old 18th March 2004, 01:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

What sort of money order? I think there is an american express 'shop' not too far from here and I'm not too sure what services they offer so it may be possible, but it will most likely be at least a few more days 'till I know if there is enough intrest to go ahead with the order (probably for the kit with diodes if the replies so far are anything to go by) so you don't need to be in too much of a hurry for now.
Old 18th March 2004, 02:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigparsnip
What sort of money order? I think there is an american express 'shop' not too far from here
You might also look at Western Union BidPay if there is a large enough request for alternate payment means. Their fees are higher than PayPal, but it's the buyer that gets dinged for the extra cost, not the seller.
Old 18th March 2004, 02:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly

You might also look at Western Union BidPay if there is a large enough request for alternate payment means. Their fees are higher than PayPal, but it's the buyer that gets dinged for the extra cost, not the seller.
I've never seen the value in Bidpay. Basically you pay a huge fee in order to have someone else cut a money order and mail it for you. How is this any better than me mailing a money order myself, other than the e-mail notification? We'll work something out, if the group buy comes together.
Old 18th March 2004, 03:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pkpickard

I've never seen the value in Bidpay. Basically you pay a huge fee in order to have someone else cut a money order and mail it for you. How is this any better than me mailing a money order myself, other than the e-mail notification? We'll work something out, if the group buy comes together.
Do not take this as an endorsement of BidPay, I don't like it. But having priced it out a while back, I know that if you need to get a money order somewhere fast, it is about the same cost and more convenient than buying a money order and paying for express mail too.

Hide this!Advertise here!