• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

xrk971 Pocket Class A Headamp GB

Hi, Needtubes. I was indeed waiting to hear your full report. I am interested in two boards as well, once the design is finalized. Do you have any audible background noise with your setup?

No audible noise. Amp is silent with battery or USB power. I'll get around to measuring it in a couple days to check for issues I can't hear.

I think my long test leads caused oscillation, which created the audible squeal from the chip that I reported before. Or maybe the alkaline batteries. No noise anymore when in my amp, with a lithium ion cell, and fairly short connections everywhere.

Added pads for an offboard inductor, gave the R7 array its own ground return line, and added bleeder resistors for the output caps :).

DCA v5.png

Could anyone tell me how long their 9v batteries last before they run out of juice? I've noticed distortion after approximately 2H. Does this make sense?

Using non rechargeable 9 Volt elements agree about the about 2 hour use, what is sensed thereafter i won't directly call a distortion but some kind of less pleasing sound stage, maybe at some stage it leads to audio able distortion but at that stage mine had been replaced, by the way think it happens for me when element reads about 7,5 volts stage and cans used were 64ohms.

Could anyone tell me how long their 9v batteries last before they run out of juice? I've noticed distortion after approximately 2H. Does this make sense?

I went through a box of amazon 9v because eight on amazon was the same price as two from the store and I needed one for my smoke alarm. That seems a bit low to me but maybe on the low end of the spectrum. Bear in mind my led doesn't work so maybe that helps. I never timed how long the batteries lasted because I always planned to replace them with lithium and a usb charger.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for your responses. I used one Alkaline and one li-ion (somehow my two li-ions don't work in this configuration). Would the 1200mAh version of EBL li-ions work?

The li-ions have a well known issue upon startup. You may have missed it. They have a smart micro controller and power control PCB on board (yes, inside every Li rechargeable battery except RC car ones) that monitors current and shuts the battery down if it thinks you shorted the ends. In the Pocket amp, dual 2200uF caps appear as short due to in rush current at turn on. Hence battery promptly shuts down. Try clicking power switch 2-3 times on-off and it will stay on after 2-3 times. Because it partially charges caps each time.

If you run the LiPo system with cap Mx, the cap Mx ramps current up slowly so this doesn’t happen. Sounds like adding alkaline in series does same thing.