• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Bruno Putzeys Balanced Preamp - Group Buy Part 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I've added myself for one "assembled board" and one regulator, I think that I understand what I'm getting! I understand that I'll need to get some more components to make it work, but I'm not at present sure what they are, but I can probably work it out from this thread, and previous threads... When will this happen, who do I send money to, and how?

Good choice. You will not be disappointed.
It's a perfect fit with the Mdac.

This was my first build, only took an evening to populate the board.
Fitting into a case was less easy, I mounted all the XLR I/O on the rear with short connections to the PCB.

Xavier is running the group buy, I'm sure he will PM you.

Hi Jem,
You're down for one assembled board and one set of (there are 2) regulators for that assembled board.
The "assembled" covers all surface mount devices, the SMD resistors, mini MELF resistors, opamps, caps, etc.
To complete the board, you need a bunch of through-hole components which are very straight forward to solder. You just need to ensure that the caps and regulators are of course soldered the right way around :)

See attached PDF detailing components. I'll add this to the first post too.

Attachments

• hypex-preamp-BoM.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 112
Hi Jem,
You're down for one assembled board and one set of (there are 2) regulators for that assembled board.
The "assembled" covers all surface mount devices, the SMD resistors, mini MELF resistors, opamps, caps, etc.
To complete the board, you need a bunch of through-hole components which are very straight forward to solder. You just need to ensure that the caps and regulators are of course soldered the right way around :)

See attached PDF detailing components. I'll add this to the first post too.

Many thanks - plenty of through hole soldering experience, but hands too shaky now for SMD (and I'm lazy...)

ETA? When do I pay?

Jem and all,

I've now requested an updated quote from Quick Circuits for bare boards and SMD-assembled boards. I will fix the quantity to 20 bare, 70 assembled.

Once I get the updated price, I'll provide final pricing for bare boards, assembled boards and hypex regs. They require 15 days lead time, so looking at dispatching towards the end of January.

Payment would be between now and posting out, but no need just yet as I don't have the boards.

Payment would be by bank transfer if in UK or by Paypal, but if the latter, please use send to friends and family or Paypal gift so there aren't any added fees. If you can't do that, then I'd suggest adding 3% or whatever the cost is to cover for the fees.

I'll provide a full invoice (with VAT if in EU) which will include payment details. :)

Similar to last time, I'd ask everyone who wants something to confirm quantities and their details by emailing me ( HypexPreAmpGB -at- xavbroadcast dot co dot uk ) the following (copy / paste into email and fill in):

Forum username:
Email address (if different from sender):
Full name (and/or company name):

Number of bare PCBs: 0
Number of SMD-assembled PCBs: 0
Number of pairs of Hypex regs: 0

EU VAT number (if applicable):

Full Invoice address (including postcode, area, country, etc):

Delivery address if different to invoice one

Jem, I haven't offered this as it would just get too complicated. I'm fairly sure all the parts are available from Mouser or Digikey. We would save on postage, but it's too much work for me to sort out and allocate components for every package.

I'm updating the first post now I have final pricing for the boards :)

Jem, I haven't offered this as it would just get too complicated. I'm fairly sure all the parts are available from Mouser or Digikey. We would save on postage, but it's too much work for me to sort out and allocate components for every package.

I'm updating the first post now I have final pricing for the boards :)

Thought that would be the case, it's just that I always seem to end up ordering from three different places and then find a cheaper source! However, the BOM is quite small in this case anyway, so I should cope ok.

Thanks. It's just relatively complex as it stands with the various permutations of bare, assembled and with/without regulators.

When I did this last time, I spent days on sorting out the logistics and accounting. I'm hoping to streamline now with new tools for sending out the proforma invoices...

Still, the post office hates me!

Edit: first post now updated. Please re-read it for all details, final pricing, instructions, etc. Thank you :)

Are there any plans to group buy the through hole components? Has anyone found a single source for all the bits, e.g. Farnell, and collected the parts numbers. I always seem to end up buying from multiple sources and then I find out I could have done a better deal at XYZ...
first board used the melf power input current limiting resistors.
These are reputed to have extra overload capability compared to ordinary smd resistors.

On my second board I swapped out the smd/melfs for 600mW leaded resistors.
A pair of series connected 1r0 giving the equivalent of 2r 1.2W have a rated current capacity of 770mA and the short term transient overload will be at least double that. They will survive start up from cold repeatedly.
The pair of metal film resistors standing upright on the PCB fit onto the two melf solder pads.
Whereas the tiny melfs will be much less and ordinary smds even lower.

I just thought that adopting a low rated smd for current limiting did not make any sense. So I changed it to a resistor type that can survive start up.
And there's space next to the input capacitors to make the change.

There is a lot of discussion that ordinary smd are not suitable in this location, because of the current demand at start up. Melf improves things a little bit. Why use 1/8 W, or 1/4W when one can use 1.2W with the same formed helix around the ceramic substrate?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.