• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TDA1541A non-o/s DAC PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I was thinking about how many of you would be interested for the TDA1541A non-oversampling DAC board. It would comprise the CS8412 receiver and probably the AD844 common base I/V and would be double sided board with silk screen and solder mask. So, the overall conception would be very close to that you can see in my site. However, Elso’s reclocker will not be included but I could try to make the additional mounting of the Elso’s own reclocker board as easy as possible. Eventually, reclocker driven by the canned oscillator could be included if there are more of those interested for this option, but I will not, for now at least, make both the boards with and without it. I/V could be also made using discrete transistors thus having better specs but this would also add somewhat to the overall complexity.

Price will depend on the quantity i.e. on the way the things with this thread will look in the next few days (or weeks).

Anyone interested? None? :xeye: Tens of thousands? :bigeyes: ;)

Pedja

So, I have not remained alone here, not bad…

As said, the I/V will be probably based on the AD844 as common base stage. I have found it excellent sounding and extremely simple to build. In this case one can use also any classic (single) opamp based I/V, only the I/V resistor should be soldered across the different points.

Another option is the usage of the discrete common base stage with better specifications (it will not be one of those posted by Jocko and Rudolf), but I first should be sure the sound worth more work (will have the results during next week).

As about the other I/V stages I think I can not say anything better but that the existing I/V could be anytime bypassed so you can use one of your own.

The board will be certainly intended for one TDA1541A only.

Pedja

If you think about adding reclocker later and don't want to compromise the main board design, you could make it in such a way that the small reclocker board is mounted on stand offs, on the main board, and can be added or removed anytime. Connections could be made with any sort of headers and pin connectors and if not used, certain pins wuld be just shorted.

Peter Daniel said:
If you think about adding reclocker later and don't want to compromise the main board design, you could make it in such a way that the small reclocker board is mounted on stand offs, on the main board, and can be added or removed anytime. Connections could be made with any sort of headers and pin connectors and if not used, certain pins wuld be just shorted.
Yes, that is the idea, something like daughterboard above the main board. Signals paths could be short whether the reclocker is used or not.

I'm in Pedja...

I also have been a regular to your website and DAC evolutions(not to mention all the others). I would never try to build one on my own, but with your PCB I'd do it in a heartbeat.

After watching the overwhelming success of BrianGT's Gainclone group buy, I bet we've got another winner as soon as people hear about it..

Pedja, good initiative !!!

I am interested in two boards. Have been looking at a good PCB-design for a TDA1541 recently and after browsing through your web-site (especially your 1541 project) I had the plan to email you about the availability of PCB-boards.
Is the board you mention in this thread a new design or the one you have already available. Is it an idea to allow for different kind of ASR's, as I think besides SPDIF or I2S, an USB type of input would be nice.
What about using Elso's design using the AD8561 before the input of the CS8412.

Henk

PS: your web-site is well documented and it is hard to imagine you do this for hobby. It has a very professional look.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Since I gave up designing an *excellent* pcb for TDA1541A I am in for a few boards. The board you show at your website would be good as it is ( at least it looks very good at the pictures ! ). Will your new board be totally different or will it be based on that one apart from the concept ? Please do consider the use of an input transformer with CS8412, my guess is that you'll like it as much as I do.

A second suggestion is to integrate the power supplies ( except transformers ) on the pcb avoiding wiring. Inexperienced participants sometimes have hum after putting a DAC together and integrating power supplies would be a solution for that. It's just an idea ;) ( using RCA connectors directly on the pcb for input and outputs could be a suggestion too with the same objective ).

If you need help I would be delighted to help you out with the layout as long as you do the TDA part :D

Calimero said:
Is the board you mention in this thread a new design or the one you have already available.
jean-paul said:
Will your new board be totally different or will it be based on that one apart from the concept ?
The new board will be based on the previous project and will be made in the same spirit. ;)

Calimero said:
Is it an idea to allow for different kind of ASR's, as I think besides SPDIF or I2S, an USB type of input would be nice.
If done without the reclocker it would be done that way to be able to accept one. So, of course, can be used for I2S directly, but I did not think about the USB compatibility. With flip-flops included on the board one can experiment with different can oscillators. I yet have to decide about this.

Calimero said:
PS: your web-site is well documented and it is hard to imagine you do this for hobby. It has a very professional look.
Thanks. I did not do it professionally until now but this may change soon. As about the look of the site, it takes some time to design it, but once the layout is made, it can be easily filled with the content (as it arrives).

Pedja

jean-paul said:
Please do consider the use of an input transformer with CS8412, my guess is that you'll like it as much as I do.
I must say I did not try the input transformer previously. Since at this moment it would take some time to do that, it would make all the process certainly slower.

A second suggestion is to integrate the power supplies ( except transformers ) on the pcb avoiding wiring. Inexperienced participants sometimes have hum after putting a DAC together and integrating power supplies would be a solution for that. It's just an idea ;) ( using RCA connectors directly on the pcb for input and outputs could be a suggestion too with the same objective ).
Else than the reclocker for which I am still not sure what to do (if I read correctly the previous posts, the “modular concept” could be preferable but from the experience I know that the much of possibilities rarely lead to the much of the executions), the board will accept all the parts except the mains transformer(s). The output connectors will be at the upper right corner of the board (where they conventionally belong) but the situation with the S/PDIF input is not that simple. While I was designing the first board I have spent some time rotating and moving the chips trying to finish with S/PDIF input at the same side of the board, but the result always was worse for many other things. Finished with what you could see. The input could be still routed anywhere using the board, but in the previous case, considering the distance, I have decided to use the coax.

If you need help I would be delighted to help you out with the layout as long as you do the TDA part :D
Thanks for the offer. Actually there are not a lot of things that still have to be decided and then all should go relatively fast. I think I tried hundred options for routing around 1541 – none is perfect. The way Peter did it is probably the best I saw but it needs skills/nerves/time...

Pedja

Nuuk said:
Hello uncle Pedja ;)

I have been looking at the Scott Nixon 1543 kit. Is your 1541A a better sounding DAC and if so how much more complicated would it be to put together for a complete DAC novice?
Hello uncle Nick, :cool:

You could make both for the price of one conventional CD player and be the first who will report about that. :idea:

Seriously, this is the interesting question, you in fact left me without some resolved answer. So, it seems I could not offer you more than this few facts/thoughts.

Firstly, I have never heard Scott’s DAC but I do have something like that made with slightly different parts. Scott’s layout (done with a help of the others on the Chip Amp Forum some time ago but it is finally his own design) is excellent and I must say here he was the one who helped me when I was designing my own board for TDA1543. I firstly wanted to buy his one but he had the problem with the e-mail account at that time; when he answered after some time I have did a lot of work already and he offered me the help to finish it, yes, for free, and he was a great help for me then.

TDA1543 DAC is the gainclone among the DACs, it makes you not to forget the line between the engineering and the designing with the goal of the good sound. At one side it is as simple as the DAC can be and at the other not a lot of that will sound better. I know many that simply can not think seriously about the TDA1543 and they are very wrong.

I still certainly prefer my TDA1541A with reclocker and I/V I am using now to the TDA1543 with passive I/V, but I have also put much more effort into it.

This project will not require any special skills to build but the things might be clearer if you wait a bit to see the way it will look definitely. Anyway, feel free to ask further if the answer was not acceptable... ;)

Pedja

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.