• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Group buy

I got the parts for 45/49 SC cut Driscoll, and I soldered to the board. But none of board works properly. It jumps between 70-80MHz, but no stabile frequency. What can I do? I try to set the half voltage on C3 but the max is 2,2V instead of 3V at the end of the trimmer turns.

2V2 on Q1 collector seems to be too low. I have had similar problem in this situation, the oscillator does not start.
You should try a 100k trimpot, if you have one, or a 68-75K and check again the operating point.
I don't believe that the problem was related to the MMBT hfe, I have tried several parts without any problem.

2V2 on Q1 collector seems to be too low. I have had similar problem in this situation, the oscillator does not start.
You should try a 100k trimpot, if you have one, or a 68-75K and check again the operating point.
I don't believe that the problem was related to the MMBT hfe, I have tried several parts without any problem.

I havent 100K smd trimer, so I soldered out the trimer and I soldered in a fix 100K resistor. I have fortune, it gives about 3V on C3. But nothing changed, not start the oscillator...

I havent 100K smd trimer, so I soldered out the trimer and I soldered in a fix 100K resistor. I have fortune, it gives about 3V on C3. But nothing changed, not start the oscillator...

If it does not start anyway the problem is the gain of the active device that does not overcome the crystal losses.
It's very strange because my 45/49 MHz crystals start with all MMBT I have tried.
You could try moving back to the BFR182, or increasing the value of the capacitor C2 to 2.7/3.3 pF, or better with a trimmer capacitor 1-10 pF if you have one.

If it does not start anyway the problem is the gain of the active device that does not overcome the crystal losses.
It's very strange because my 45/49 MHz crystals start with all MMBT I have tried.
You could try moving back to the BFR182, or increasing the value of the capacitor C2 to 2.7/3.3 pF, or better with a trimmer capacitor 1-10 pF if you have one.

I 'll try to get parts. I found just 3-10pF trimmer first. My question: Is it enough the NP0 smd capacitors tolerance 5%? Usually I found it instead of 1%.
Are there any passive components to try changing on board, other R, C? Or just the C2 would be the problem?

I 'll try to get parts. I found just 3-10pF trimmer first. My question: Is it enough the NP0 smd capacitors tolerance 5%? Usually I found it instead of 1%.
Are there any passive components to try changing on board, other R, C? Or just the C2 would be the problem?

For total tuning flexibility you also could temporary replace C1 and C3 with trimmer capacitor.

I'm working on a discrete DAC and I would use the best crystal (reasonably) available.
For the DAC I need only low frequencies oscillator, 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz, so there is no reason to start from crystals at high frequencies dividing down by a large factor.
I don't care about the bit clock, since it comes from an FPGA starting from the local oscillator at 50 MHz. Once the FPGA has fed the shift registers of the DAC it will be stopped, avoiding interference with the word clock.

Since the lower the frequencies of the crystal, the higher its Q and theoretically the lower the phase noise, I would use 5.6448 and 6.144 MHz.

Then I decided to start a new GB to see if we can meet the MOQ for such that crystals at lower frequencies as possible.
In order of preference:
1) SC-Cut 5.6448 and 6.144 MHz
2) SC-Cut 11.2896 and 12.288
3) AT-Cut 5.6448 and 6.144 MHz

I m looking the Driscoll manual, but it dont include the 5/6 MHz SC cut crystal parts in BOM. Is the Driscoll board can use without modification of the circuit what we using now? Where will be the list of the parts what need for it? Or you are testing and designing it just in near future?

5/6 MHz SC-Cut crystals have not yet been tested because we have not met the MOQ for these frequencies. So the BOM does not provide any values for the above frequencies.

I think the Driscoll circuit will work also for 5/6 MHz Sc-Cut, but to confirm I have to test them.

Have you got bare Driscoll PCB at home yet?
I maybe join GB with a 5MHz SC, I hope it will work.
How many are the MOQ, 10 pcs? I saw there is low interesting this time...

Update the GB. It will be long long time to reach MOQ I think, no serious interesting:(

andrea_mori: 3 x SC-Cut 5.6448 MHz + 3 x SC-Cut 6.144 MHz + 3 x SC-Cut 11.2896 MHz + 3 x SC-Cut 12.288 MHz + 3 x AT-Cut 5.6448 MHz + 3 x AT-Cut 6.144 MHz

rickmcinnis: 1 x TWTMC-D finished with AT-Cut 22.___ MHz

gabor80: 1 x SC-Cut 6.144 MHz + 1 x Driscoll board

Hi Andrea,

Formerly you wrote that you have spare 45.1584 and 49.1520 SC crytalls.
Is these SC crystals are functional with Driscoll board?
45.1584 MHz 3rd overtone MOQ
49.1520 MHz 3rd overtone MOQ

Yes, they work correctly with the Driscoll oscillator board with component values indicated in the last BOM.
Theoretically they should work with the MMBT5179 bjt, in practice seems that this depending on the manufacturer batch, so you can use the NE85633-R25 or the BFR182 as the active device.

If someone was interested, the following parts are available:

Crystals:
3 x AT 12.288 MHz fundamental
1 x AT 24.576 MHz fundamental
2 x AT 33.8688 MHz 3rd overtone
1 x AT 98.304 MHz 5th overtone
1 x SC 22.5792 MHz 3rd overtone
1 x SC 45.1584 MHz 3rd overtone
1 x SC 49.152 MHz 3rd overtone
4 x SC 90.3168 MHz 3rd overtone
6 x SC 98.304 MHz 3rd overtone

Finished boards:
1 x TWTMC-D finished with AT-Cut 98.304 MHz
1 x TWTMC-P finished without crystal
1 x TWTMC-D finished without crystal
1 x TWTMC-D&D finished with rect.filt./regs./switch.logic (15V-3V3)

Are these 2 crystals available? I want to buy both.

Stock update

Are these 2 crystals available? I want to buy both.

Sorry, I forgot to update the list, the above crystals are no longer in stock.

Follows the updated list:

Crystals:
3 x AT 12.288 MHz fundamental
1 x AT 24.576 MHz fundamental
2 x AT 33.8688 MHz 3rd overtone
1 x AT 98.304 MHz 5th overtone
4 x SC 90.3168 MHz 3rd overtone
6 x SC 98.304 MHz 3rd overtone

Finished boards:
1 x TWTMC-D finished with AT-Cut 98.304 MHz
1 x TWTMC-P finished without crystal