"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier, group buy #3 + "Wiener Pro" prototypes. - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2017, 11:55 PM   #501
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
Thanks for the updates.
That does looked like a lot of work by hand.
It's a good bit of work, but I'm on the home stretch!

Ordered solder paste through work today, should have it in a couple of days. Brought the 3 Pro's into work to hot air rework but had too many other things going on, hopefully I'll get at them tomorrow.

The new solder paste is Chipquik stuff, 20 bucks CAD for a jar versus the 2-3 bucks/jar I've been paying for the cheap Chinese stuff. Guess I'll find out if it's better.
Old 10th January 2017, 01:54 AM   #502
bk856er is offline bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
It's a good bit of work, but I'm on the home stretch!

Ordered solder paste through work today, should have it in a couple of days. Brought the 3 Pro's into work to hot air rework but had too many other things going on, hopefully I'll get at them tomorrow.

The new solder paste is Chipquik stuff, 20 bucks CAD for a jar versus the 2-3 bucks/jar I've been paying for the cheap Chinese stuff. Guess I'll find out if it's better.
I predict fewer tombstones and bridges and longer shelf life.

BK
Old 11th January 2017, 12:33 AM   #503
patkwok is offline patkwok  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Update: Tigerfoo/shochu/patkwok are mailed out.
Thank you very much.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 LG-H990 發送
Old 11th January 2017, 03:29 PM   #504
diyAudio Member

Solder paste arrived today at work, in a bubble wrapped bag with a cold pack. That sure doesn't happen with the Chinese paste
Old 11th January 2017, 05:27 PM   #505
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Solder paste arrived today at work, in a bubble wrapped bag with a cold pack. That sure doesn't happen with the Chinese paste
Ha ha cold pack coming from China! You don't want it to freeze or get too warm for too long in shipping. I keep mine refrigerated and follow the "x hours of warmup to room temp before use" on the datasheet. I like the chipquik syringe format because there is less air exposure vs. the jars. I think I'm about a year past the expiry date and it's still functioning OK, but definitely thicker and a bit trickier to work with. Great shelf life for low volume users like me. Do a test run to make sure your oven profile is suitable for the different formulation!

BK
Old 11th January 2017, 07:53 PM   #506
diyAudio Member

I'm having a chat with the purchasing guys at work, we're talking about the solder paste I ordered when someone else mentions that the production line just threw out a bunch of expired stuff.

Just raided the chemical disposal cabinet, just got a couple 10ml syringes each of Nordson lead and lead free solder paste. The lead free expired at the end of December, the leaded expired a few days ago.

And even funnier, I ordered 5 jars of the cheap Chinese stuff last night.
Old 12th January 2017, 02:58 AM   #507
diyAudio Member

Managed to get the 3 Pro's reworked, so that's 5/11 of ChuckT's Pro8's done. 6 more Pro8s, a Pro16 and that order's complete!

Pasting four cards now using the Nordson lead paste. Oh man, fresh solder paste is so much better than the last of the Mechanic stuff I used...
Old 12th January 2017, 03:38 AM   #508
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Managed to get the 3 Pro's reworked, so that's 5/11 of ChuckT's Pro8's done. 6 more Pro8s, a Pro16 and that order's complete!

Pasting four cards now using the Nordson lead paste. Oh man, fresh solder paste is so much better than the last of the Mechanic stuff I used...
Score! Stored properly, don't worry too much about the expiration date. Even chipquik (forget the actual manufacturer) changed their datasheet recently to say ignore the date if the consistency is still right. Naturally in a production or regulated environment the date must be followed for compliance, but that need not apply to us.

BK
Old 12th January 2017, 04:48 AM   #509
diyAudio Member

And at 12:40am, reflow is complete on four more Pro's.

The Nordson paste worked much better, but it's got a pretty awful chemical sort of smell to it, especially baking in the oven. I'm using my Weller fume extractor to pull fumes away from the oven when it's going, but it didn't make much of a difference.

I considered trying the RoHS paste but I don't have lead free wire solder or good flux for reworking it.
Old 13th January 2017, 04:39 AM   #510
diyAudio Member

Brought last night's bare Pro's into work to inspect/rework, but was too busy to get that done.

Reflowed four more Pro's tonight, was much more careful stenciling and placing the TPA, and they came out fabulous, no solder bridges on the TPA. Fully assembled them tonight, never got a chance to test 'em. Assuming they work OK, and I can make 3 of the 4 bare cards from last night work, then ChuckT's order is done!

Hide this!Advertise here!