Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier, group buy #3 + "Wiener Pro" prototypes.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2017, 04:21 AM   #631
ChuckT is offline ChuckT
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtose View Post
ChuckT have you tried swapping in 33nF? If so, any results you could share?
First, I recall seeing a post somewhere where Gmarsh remarked the 330nF value was a mistake, I think he forgot to correct it in the schematic and continue on with the parts ordering.

I have replace the 330nF to 33nF but also the 8 x 220uF power supply caps with higher value of Panasonic FM caps at the same time. The result for the combo mod was an improvement in the bass, not sure about the improvement in the rest of the audio spectrum. But I would certainly recommend this mod (replacing both PS caps and 33nF)
Old 29th November 2017, 05:30 AM   #632
gtose is offline gtose  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
First, I recall seeing a post somewhere where Gmarsh remarked the 330nF value was a mistake, I think he forgot to correct it in the schematic and continue on with the parts ordering.

I have replace the 330nF to 33nF but also the 8 x 220uF power supply caps with higher value of Panasonic FM caps at the same time. The result for the combo mod was an improvement in the bass, not sure about the improvement in the rest of the audio spectrum. But I would certainly recommend this mod (replacing both PS caps and 33nF)
ChuckT, thanks for your impressions!
Old 30th November 2017, 12:33 AM   #633
DizRotus is offline DizRotus  United States
diyAudio Member

To connect the differential output of my Pono player to my TI TPA3255EVM, two jumpers need to be relocated from SE to DIF. Are there counterparts on the Wiener?
Old 30th November 2017, 04:22 AM   #634
diyAudio Member

Thanks to rhing, Rich, for promptly and expertly answering my question. I now have the “Wiener” TPA3118 playing in differential/balanced mode. Norah Jones never sounded better. I’m auditioning a pair of Klipsch KP-201 IIs I scored so my sister-in-law can surprise my brother at Christmas.
Old 30th November 2017, 09:47 AM   #635
diyAudio Member

Gary, aka gmarsh, provided me a handrawn schematic of how to connect the differential output of the Pono player to the Wiener and asked me to document the process. The schematic pdf is too large to be attached. Iíll try to work around that and post it later.

A photo is attached showing the initial balanced tests. With ~18v of battery power, the Wiener/Pono combo in balanced mode sounds spectacular with the Klipsch KP-201 IIs I just bought for my sister-in-law to surprise my brother on Christmas. He also has a Pono.

When we get together around Christmas, we can do a blind test of SE vs. DIFF, with the better hearing of younger test subjects. Balanced sounds better to me and Baranek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB6DE4A0-00EC-4AAC-AEB6-338FCBA59F7F.jpg (510.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 30th November 2017, 04:12 PM   #636
diyAudio Member

Here is the schematic Gary Marsh provided regarding differential/balanced connections to the Wiener. I'll soon be putting the board into a case to accommodate this hookup. It will only be used in balanced/differential mode. Thank you Gary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gmarsh_schematic_balanced.jpg (414.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 4th December 2017, 01:38 AM   #637
diyAudio Member

Default Differential/Balanced

Gary, gmarsh, was kind enough to personally respond to my questions regarding the utilization of the balanced/differential outputs of my Pono player.

Following the advice in his emails and using the schematic he drew (see above), I was able to successfully experience his excellent "Wiener" board in balanced mode.

At the time, he asked me to document my progress. I am just now getting around to putting it into a case. The attached photos show the almost completed results. I still need to get shorter screws to attach the Speakon terminals.

Gary mentioned that shorting plugs need to be inserted in the L- and R- RCA jacks when using the Wiener, as now configured, in SE mode. Intuitively this makes sense and , I think, explains why switching from SE to DIFF on the TI TPA3255EVM requires the relocation of jumpers, but the Wiener does not.

Can someone remind me how many watts the Wiener puts out into a nominal 8 ohm load? Is that number altered by SE or DIFF mode?
Old 4th December 2017, 01:52 AM   #638
diyAudio Member

Default Differential/Balanced

Gary, gmarsh, was kind enough to personally respond to my questions regarding the utilization of the balanced/differential outputs of my Pono player.

Following the advice in his emails and using the schematic he drew (see above), I was able to successfully experience his excellent "Wiener" board in balanced mode.

At the time, he asked me to document my progress. I am just now getting around to putting it into a case. The attached photos show the almost completed results. I still need to get shorter screws to attach the Speakon terminals.

Gary mentioned that shorting plugs need to be inserted in the L- and R- RCA jacks when using the Wiener, as now configured, in SE mode. Intuitively this makes sense and, I think, explains why switching from SE to DIFF on the TI TPA3255EVM requires the relocation of jumpers, but the Wiener does not.

Can someone remind me how many watts the Wiener puts out into a nominal 8 ohm load? Is that number altered by SE or DIFF mode?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171203_201315 (Medium).jpg (276.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20171203_201057 (Medium).jpg (229.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20171203_201048 (Medium).jpg (226.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20171203_201027 (Medium).jpg (267.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by DizRotus; 4th December 2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 6th December 2017, 10:30 AM   #639
diyAudio Member

I just realized the prior posts should have been posted in the “group buy #2” thread.

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier, group buy #3 + "Wiener Pro" prototypes.Hide this!Advertise here!