Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier, group buy #3 + "Wiener Pro" prototypes.
"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier, group buy #3 + "Wiener Pro" prototypes.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2017, 04:35 PM   #611
kenneth_obee is offline kenneth_obee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

More checking on the caps at output:
C11, C6 = 18.6v
C7, C8, C10, C6, C4, C3 all 9.4v
C23, C24, C26 = 20.8V
C25=29.4V
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture3.PNG (49.3 KB, 274 views)
Old 5th July 2017, 12:20 AM   #612
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Power up the amp, measure the voltage at the INPUT_x pins of the TPA - they should all float up to a few volts (AVDD/2, I think).

Also measure the voltage on the AVDD pin, DVDD pins and Vbg pin.

If any of these things are zero, or not right, power off the amp and measure for shorts at any of these pins to ground. Could be a blown TPA chip, or it could be something external.
Old 5th July 2017, 12:35 AM   #613
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsh View Post
Power up the amp, measure the voltage at the INPUT_x pins of the TPA - they should all float up to a few volts (AVDD/2, I think).

Also measure the voltage on the AVDD pin, DVDD pins and Vbg pin.

If any of these things are zero, or not right, power off the amp and measure for shorts at any of these pins to ground. Could be a blown TPA chip, or it could be something external.
Thanks Gmarsh.

I found a problem here: INPUT_D is just few mV, all other INPUTs are 3.xV
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture4.PNG (29.7 KB, 270 views)
Old 5th July 2017, 02:39 AM   #614
diyAudio Member

avdd=7.7v
dvdd=3.3v
vbg=1.2v
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture5.PNG (10.4 KB, 264 views)
Old 5th July 2017, 05:22 PM   #615
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth_obee View Post
avdd=7.7v
dvdd=3.3v
vbg=1.2v

I just replaced the 3250, the red led is gone. Unfortunately, it doesn't make sound.

I checked the voltage at input A to D. Input A to C are all 3.9V, however, input D is just 2.5V. When I turn off the power (open the ENABLE pins). Input A to C are 0v, Input D is -1.2V. Moreover, the +12v regulator gets warmer than before the 3250 is replaced. So it seems there's something wrong, may be the pcb trace?
Old 7th July 2017, 02:18 AM   #616
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Input D shouldn't be capable of going to -1.2V, there's no negative voltage applied to the TPA. Unless something's screwed up in the front end op-amp stage making it drive negative voltage into the amp, and the film cap for that input is shorted.

Remove the four film caps and measure their resistance, which should be well up into the megohms. Leave them off the board, power the board up and measure voltage on both the analog-stage and TPA sides of the footprint.
Old 19th July 2017, 05:06 PM   #617
ditimfuk is offline ditimfuk  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I would like to know what's the impact if wiener/wiener PRO drives speakers of impedance different from the filter matched.
Old 19th July 2017, 05:23 PM   #618
ditimfuk is offline ditimfuk  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Furthermore, is there a components list of the PRO filter for different loadings ?
Old 13th August 2017, 01:00 AM   #619
rhing is offline rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wiener PBTL and KEF LS50 Speakers

I've been away from this forum for some time as I've moved my family and home twice in 15 months in the spirit of career advancement. My current home is a modern townhome apartment in the Minneapolis, Minnesota suburbs, so space is rather limited and I had to put my beloved Klipsch Forte IIs in storage. For a few months, I was getting by with listening through my Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless headphones and iPhone, but that was wearing thin fast.

While I was on vacation a few weeks ago, I had an opportunity to audition a pair of KEF LS50 bookshelf speakers, and I was impressed with the liveliness, accuracy and coherency of these compact monitors. Surely at 85dB sensitivity and an impedance curve that can dip down to 4 ohms couldn't possibly work with my Wiener TPA3118 PBTL amp powered with a modified Astron regulated linear power supply. Well, fast forward to this weekend, and I bought a pair of the KEF LS50 speakers, and hooked them up. Now I also use an Audio Research LS7 tube linestage with gain in front of my Wiener PBTL amp, and I am amazed at how loud this system can play.

I have doctormord's TPA3255 amp board, and I plan to build this amp with a more powerful power supply once I re-establish my DIY lab. I'd really like to hear these KEF's driven by a higher powered Texas Instruments Class D amp. For now, I am quite surprised and extremely pleased with the rich presentation I get with the Wiener/KEF combo. Thanks again gmarsh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0534.JPG (102.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0535.JPG (41.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 13th August 2017, 03:28 AM   #620
hifix is offline hifix  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi rhing,
I've been wanting to listen to those for some time. Good to hear they are working out well.
Do they play well at that distance to the wall ?

Last edited by hifix; 13th August 2017 at 03:34 AM.

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier, group buy #3 + "Wiener Pro" prototypes.Hide this!Advertise here!