Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

GB Pass M2 Clone Boards with 120mm UMS spacing by Tea-Bag
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2018, 01:22 PM   #351
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano35 View Post
Just a quick update for my build:
I keep forgetting to order the right amount or always missed some parts. Thus...no testing yet.

I reused my humongous 10uF red Wima from the other project. (almost as big as the Edcor transformer)

I am tempted to try Gold/silver oil for 0.1uF and 1uF bypass caps after listening to my friend's Whammy headphone amp which was equipped with 2 expensive Gold/Silver oil caps.
That really shocked me: extreme clarity, 3D feel, romantically beautiful; only that the bass is a bit too much for my age.

The boards are very nice; my solder gun might be too hot and made some brownish burn marks around.

That's it! more to come later.
I don't want to discourage anyone from tweaking. It took me some tweaking to come up with the recommended components I listed.

I did not find changing the input caps around in the M2 to alter the sound too much. I am not certain why. I assume the Edcor dominates the signature sound. Changing the Mosfets was big, signal resistors a little. The Wima bypass I used over the Elna 10uf may have brought a little more air to it. It may be that the Elna and Edcor are both a little lush, so kind of adds to the smoothness, but may harm resolution ??

I know this. Because of hot weather, I took the M2 out of office system (which I use a yamaha 9.1 receiver on currently.) and went to use the speaker outputs off the Yamaha....Such a loss of sound quality, its sterile tone deaf and generally uninvolving. It does however keep the M2 from overheating my office space when it is 30c outside.
Salas Boards 2018#1 On Order | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits In Stock, PM | M2C Boards, PS and transformers Available PM | Sony VFET CSX2 AL boards In Stock
Old 30th May 2018, 03:40 PM   #352
dewdrop is offline dewdrop  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
I don't want to discourage anyone from tweaking. It took me some tweaking to come up with the recommended components I listed.

I did not find changing the input caps around in the M2 to alter the sound too much. I am not certain why. I assume the Edcor dominates the signature sound. Changing the Mosfets was big, signal resistors a little. The Wima bypass I used over the Elna 10uf may have brought a little more air to it. It may be that the Elna and Edcor are both a little lush, so kind of adds to the smoothness, but may harm resolution ??

I know this. Because of hot weather, I took the M2 out of office system (which I use a yamaha 9.1 receiver on currently.) and went to use the speaker outputs off the Yamaha....Such a loss of sound quality, its sterile tone deaf and generally uninvolving. It does however keep the M2 from overheating my office space when it is 30c outside.
Thanks for helping us save money! It is good that you have tried so that we won't have to. ;-)

What about opting for the Audio Note tantalum resistors? Will that make a positive impact?

Can't wait to build mine.
Old 5th June 2018, 10:52 PM   #353
BRN is offline BRN  United States
diyAudio Member

I’m going to use a DIYA power supply that I have with this amp. I want to know if I can use an AnTek 400VA 20V transformer and want to know if I can use it or do I need an 18V transformer?
Old 5th June 2018, 11:11 PM   #354
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Eleven percent greater supply voltage means eleven percent greater power dissipation(*) that the heatsinks must radiate into the air. Do you plan to increase the heatsink area by eleven percent?

(*) since the optocoupler bias circuit used in the M2, guarantees the amplifier's DC bias current remains rock solid and constant. Voltage rises 11% but current remains the same --> power dissipation rises 11%
Old 6th June 2018, 12:29 AM   #355
diyAudio Member

I was going to use the Dissipante 4U 300mm chassis, but it sound like I would need the 5U. I don’t want to go deeper.
Old 6th June 2018, 12:46 AM   #356
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The 4U 300 will be fine with 11% more heat than the standard voltage.
Old 6th June 2018, 01:58 AM   #357
diyAudio Member

Mark, 6L6,

Thank you. That sounds great.

Brad

GB Pass M2 Clone Boards with 120mm UMS spacing by Tea-BagHide this!Advertise here!