• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB Pass M2 Clone Boards with 120mm UMS spacing by Tea-Bag

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Excellent. It does have suprising bass. Do try on top.
Your speaker system sounds like mine, I use an OB Lowther.

Can you publish all resistor changes here for reference, now that it is working?

I want to edit the BOM if possible for these changes. It gets asked of me frequently.

Had the M2 on top for a few weeks. Good definition but darker and seemed rolled off on the top. Switched back to Aleph J on top and the outstanding female voices of Von Otter were back. Can build another Aleph J or an M2 with your mosfets. Not sure what to do. Do you have the B5 for crossover?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Scranton,
I don't have any experience with the Aleph J. I know some people do really like it.

The M2 might appear rolled off because the transformer is not listed about 20k. I am not sure.

My ears are over 48 years old not, so I dont think I can hear about 14k last I checked. If so, its other parts of my body, not my ears.

I do use a B5 for a crossover with the open baffle. But In my basement system I just use plain M2.

In my experience, the Harris was a 'smoother' less shrill option that the Vishay IRFP9240. I believe the distortion curve problems in those were possibly the problem. Well, it's all I changed to resolve the issue.

The Fairchilds that were put into the original M2 from screenshots of the M2 papa amp, I tried those, they are good as well, but they are not really available at all anymore unfortunately. They were not as smooth as the Toshibas when I tried both in a F5 in the past, but then I found the Toshibas dry and sterile. An M2 I don't think is either of those things, Toshibas or not.
I still believe the M2 signature is dominated by the transformer. I was only able to change the sonic signature a little with cap tweaking or resistor changes.

Query on Tea-bag M2 boards please... I am thinking about the grounding arrangement for my M2 which I have started building using Tea-bag's boards. Inspecting the boards I see that of the 6 mounting holes, one of the hole pads is connected via the thick ground trace from PSU-G via IN-G on the way. Thus, heatsink is likely to be connected to chassis at this point. I thought that the normal scheme was to connect chassis to ground (star or T off the +/- reservoir crossing) via RL-60 thermistor _only_ as per F5 manual PSU drawing. Should ground trace be broken near pad to avoid potential hum/noise? Or use an insulating mounting on that screw? Thanks.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Sorry, I meant ground is likely to be connected to chassis at this point.

I tested a board this morning. If we take a default board which is v-scored into two channels, the inner rings next to "Left Channel" and "Right Channel" are grounded. This is meant to ground a potential shield covering of signal transformer if one is used. However, this is a round hole. The square holes are meant for chassis connection. Are you testing from the square holes?

I didn't have much luck searching the thread so... I'm building up these boards, and the bournes potentiometer I sourced (from the BOM's recommendation) does not seem to correspond to the connections on the board.

- The pot has three connections. One of them lines up with a pad that is not connected, and one of the pads that is connected lines up with a missing connection on the pot.
- When you line up the pot with the pads, it appears to be a mirror image of the markings on the board.

Any clues as to what's going on?

Attachments

• IMG_20190505_124253.jpg
    IMG_20190505_124253.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_20190505_124307.jpg
    IMG_20190505_124307.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20190505_124328.jpg
    IMG_20190505_124328.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 328
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.