Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier card
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2017, 11:12 PM   #821
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

One possibility is a flex cracked decoupling ceramic capacitor next to the chip which shorted the supply. I guess the amp was not fused? For the cap to be cracked it needs some force from either an impact/hard drop or some kind of pcb tension due to mounting.

Another suspicion is that those parts get destroyed by voltage resonance between the decoupling caps while driving the amp into clipping.
Old 18th July 2017, 01:40 AM   #822
jorem is offline jorem  United States
diyAudio Member

Cleaned it up a bit, a few smd components fell off. I took the thermal pad off the back and theres a little indentation sticking out away from the back of the board. The TPA3118 chip looks fine actually. May have been some smd component off to the side? The big flat piece of copper on the top side looks like its the top layer of the PCB coming off.

It had been playing fairly loud all day, but likely did get jumbled around a bit. The board was in the hammond case so it seemed somewhat protected from things bumping into it.

more pics - TPA3118 - Album on Imgur
Old 18th July 2017, 02:52 AM   #823
jorem is offline jorem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormord View Post
One possibility is a flex cracked decoupling ceramic capacitor next to the chip which shorted the supply. I guess the amp was not fused? For the cap to be cracked it needs some force from either an impact/hard drop or some kind of pcb tension due to mounting.

Another suspicion is that those parts get destroyed by voltage resonance between the decoupling caps while driving the amp into clipping.

Missed your post... It unfortunately was not fused. I need to add an inline fuse from the battery. Didn't notice any clipping before it stopped working. I think you're probably on to something with the capacitor that blew, that seems to fit since I hadn't fused the board.
Old 18th July 2017, 07:05 AM   #824
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The bulging/sticking out on bottomside is the area around the three holes/via's ? May indicate nothing, may indicate pcb area that got hottest ???

Next to tpachip you had 3 smd's decoupling pvcc, now 1, the smallest is still there, biggest is laying next to pcb, middle one is also next to pcb, or did it go to pieces ? A little above those 3 there was one rotated smd, decoupling avcc, went to pieces or is laying next to pcb now ?

May indicate nothing, may indicate ceramic that got hottest ???
Old 18th July 2017, 09:56 AM   #825
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hard to tell but seems like it was the cap on the AVCC rail.
Old 18th July 2017, 01:37 PM   #826
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

The thin projected particles stratum on the others components and the relatively large affected surface seems to indicate something brutal and fast.
Can it be an PCB shorting (a via can touch the Ground plane when the PCB is very hot and the copper is dilated) ??

Last edited by silverprout; 18th July 2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: and instead of ans
Old 18th July 2017, 02:22 PM   #827
diyAudio Member

My Wiener's have soldered, visably soldered, bottom 3118 heatpad, this one in pics is newer, so maybe was in oven, not handsoldered like mine? Or else heatpad wasn't soldered ???? Are there other pics from bottomside second version ?
Old 19th July 2017, 07:12 AM   #828
diyAudio Member

(3rd ceramic I missed, is on pcb, left of tpa, inputside)
Old 5th August 2017, 02:51 AM   #829
paugie is offline paugie  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Good morning sorry to barge in on trouble shooting problem.

I have been powering my Weiner with a 19.5 laptop brick.
Now I have come across a person who can build me a regulated linear power supply rated at 5amps at 19 -20VDC using an LM723, for what I feel is a reasonable price. (approx $20)

Would it make the Weiner sound better?
Old 5th August 2017, 04:09 AM   #830
bk856er is offline bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paugie View Post
Good morning sorry to barge in on trouble shooting problem.

I have been powering my Weiner with a 19.5 laptop brick.
Now I have come across a person who can build me a regulated linear power supply rated at 5amps at 19 -20VDC using an LM723, for what I feel is a reasonable price. (approx $20)

Would it make the Weiner sound better?

For the standard Wiener I had a strong preference for a linear regulated supply over laptop bricks and even audio-grade SMPS. Even a very basic linear regulated supply was better, but eventually I used my favorite AMB sigma-11, which is a very nice PS indeed. So I would say YES try a linear regulated supply!

Now, the Wiener PRO version seems to be less picky about PS and for me sounds great from a (very) large 19.5V laptop brick. Different beast.

BK

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier cardHide this!Advertise here!