• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier card

Joined 2013
Paid Member
One fully built/tested for me please.

CFT; 2x fully built
nwboater; 1x fully built
bk856er; 2x bare PCB + 2x microcontroller
rol; 2x bare PCB + 2x microcontroller
paugie; 1x fully built
Nickk; 1x fully built + 1x bare PCB + microcontroller
reo; 1x fully built with feastrex driver in mind + 1 fully normal built + 1 soldered/tested TPA chip and microchip
Krede ; 2x bare PCB + 2x microcontroller
Darkstar52; 1x fully built
Joel Wesseling; 2x fully built
Atteren; 3x fully built
impuls60; 2x fully built
ronu9400; 1x fully built
canzld; 2x fully built
rhing; 1x fully built
shadowlight; 2x fully built
cogitech; 1x fully built
Hammett; 1x fully built
matt_garman; 1x fully built
kp93300; 1x fully built
linkfan; 2x fully built + 2x mounting hardwares if available
rsavas; 2x bare PCB + 2x microcontroller
planet10; 1x fully buil
pronk: 1x fully built

So everyone who's interested here, I'd like to take a poll of what you'd like for the output filter configuration. Then I can quote exact pricing for all 3 options:

- 4 ohm optimized
- 8 ohm optimized
- "official TI" (works with both, though not optimally)

The affected parts are through-hole and not hard to change, so if you buy a 4 ohm amp and decide later to use it with 8 ohm speakers you're not stuck.

I'll take 2 for 4 Ohm and 1 for 'offical TI"

What I would actually prefer is a 4th option - to add $X to the kit, have parts sent 4, 8, and Official and I will install when they are used in a project.

Welllllll, I dunno.

It's sooort of what I was lookin for so I guess I'll get one .... ;)

Gmarsh, I'm at a loss for words.
An exceptional job.
And my name on The Official Wiener and everything! :eek:

You sir, ARE DIY! :santa2:

CFT; 2x fully built
nwboater; 1x fully built
paugie; 1x fully built
reo; 1x fully built with feastrex driver in mind + 1 fully normal built + 1 soldered/tested TPA chip and microchip
Atteren; 3x fully built
impuls60; 2x fully built
ronu9400; 1x fully built
canzld; 2x fully built
rhing; 1x fully built
cogitech; 1x fully built
Hammett; 1x fully built
kp93300; 1x fully built
linkfan; 2x fully built + 2x mounting hardwares if available
rsavas; 2x bare PCB + 2x microcontroller
planet10; 1x fully buil
pronk: 1x fully built

AudioLapDance; 1x fully built, 8ohm

PS
...What I would actually prefer is a 4th option - to add $X to the kit, have parts sent 4, 8, and Official and I will install when they are used in a project.

Brilliant! (That pretty much completes my fully-configurable dream!) I think just 4ohm and 8ohm parts would cover it for most. Let's see if the Gman is up for it!

Will you be doing any measurements on the board before it is put into production?
It would be really interesting to see the difference compared to some of the cheaper TPA3116 China boards out there...

You've hit on the impetus--some sort of 'yardstick'. Full testing's the intended second-step for The Wiener.

Last edited:
To put costs on the output filters...

My 4 ohm: 10uH + 1.5uF
6 ohm / official TI: 10uH + 0.68uF
My 8 ohm: 15uH + 0.47uF
My 16 ohm: 33uH + 0.22uF

Inductor cost (all Ice Components 1D14A): $3.11/1, $2.40/50, $2.17/100

Capacitor cost (all Epcos B32529, 5%):
1.5uF: $0.956/10, $0.53/100
0.68uF: $0.633/10, $0.309/100
0.47uF: $0.462/10, $0.226/100
0.22uF: $0.465/1, $0.327/10

Right now the untaxed parts price is $40, of which $9.92 is the "official TI" output filter at board qty 25/parts qty 100. With tax and PCB, cost is $60 and $85 assembled/tested.

If I give everyone the full set of parts for 4/6/8 ohm operation, output filter part cost goes up to $21.62, so the amp is now $52 untaxed. With tax and PCB, we're at $75, or $100 assembled/tested. Dunno if everyone's willing to pay the extra 15 bucks for parts they'll probably never use...

If 13+ people want 4 ohm amps and 13+ people want 8 ohm amps, so I hit the qty 50 inductor price breaks on each side but not the qty 100 capacitor price breaks, 4 ohm amp output filter $13.42 (~$89.44 taxed/assembled) and 8 ohm output filter is $11.44 ($86.85 taxed/assembled)

Figuring out the best way to go here is why I'm doing the output filter poll.

Last edited:
Such a tease, isn't he? I guess that's why he has that name.

Anyway, bam! 25 orders. This group buy is officially going ahead.

So I might throw a wrench into this build. After spending some time calculating output filters for 4 ohms/8 ohms (just made a post on the class D forum about it) I may propose different output filter configurations optimized for 4 ohm and 8 ohm operation, which will give better HF frequency response.

This will affect the price slightly. Right now I use 1D14A-100M (10uH) and (0.68uF) at TI's recommendation, which works with both 4 and 8 ohms, but with HF attenuation at 4 ohms and HF peaking with 8.

For a 4 ohm load, ideally I'd use 1.5uF in the output filter instead of 0.68uF. 1.5uF is $0.956 qty 10 and $0.53 qty 100, 0.68uF is $0.309/pop qty 100.

For an 8 ohm load, I'd change the output inductor to 15uH and use 0.47uF. 0.47uF is slightly cheaper than 0.68uF ($0.462 qty 10, $0.226 qty 100). Inductors are the same price regardless of value, but are $3.11 qty 1, $2.40 qty 50 and $2.17 qty 100.

Dividing up the output filter options means I won't be hitting quantity 100 prices on those parts so the overall price will go up.

So everyone who's interested here, I'd like to take a poll of what you'd like for the output filter configuration. Then I can quote exact pricing for all 3 options:

- 4 ohm optimized
- 8 ohm optimized
- "official TI" (works with both, though not optimally)

Reo, you're getting 16 ohm optimized (33uH + 0.27uH) for your speakers :)

The affected parts are through-hole and not hard to change, so if you buy a 4 ohm amp and decide later to use it with 8 ohm speakers you're not stuck.
Reo, you're getting 16 ohm optimized (33uH + 0.27uH) for your speakers :)

If number crunching don't make you rich they will surely make you wiser. Thank you for sorting that out, i will try the 0.22 for testing also at my charge. Looking at this amp that i have, the inductors are partly misfits (330 + 0.68uH) .oh well weep and learn. Thank you for your worthwhile efforts.
Whatever cost derives it's at my expense naturally.

Attachments

• 2015-02-17_091644.jpg
    2015-02-17_091644.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
So here's what I'll do for prices for full amps, to keep things simple.

- 4 ohm, 6 ohm (TI config) or 8 ohm: $90 CAD for an assembled/tested board. For an extra $10 CAD I'll throw in a kit of alternative components so you can reconfigure your board to any of these 3 options.
- 16 ohm: $95 CAD for an assembled/tested board.
- Chassis mounting kit (thermal pad, standoffs, stainless M3 hardware) = extra $10
- Shipping for up to 3 assembled/tested boards to the US will cost $15 using "small packet air" service.

For shipping elsewhere or using a different shipping method, hop on Canada Post - Mailing, Shipping, Marketing, Shopping, Sharing, click "find a rate" and calculate the shipping cost for a 6x4x3 inch box, weight 1lb, from postal code B3Z1R3 to wherever you are. I can do UPS also, but haven't spent any time calculating costs on their site. Add $3 for packing supplies.

For bare boards:
- Bare PCB: $8.00
- Add programmed microcontroller, either in a bag or soldered to PCB - add $2
- Soldered on and tested TPA3118: add $15.

Shipping for bare boards is currently TBD - have to price envelopes. Once I nail that down later today, I'll start taking paypal orders for everything.

Expression of interest for TPA3118 amplifier card by gmarsh.

More housekeeping. Newcomers can add your info below to the growing list. Others edit as required. Don't know if we need output filter preferences here at this point?

CFT; 2x fully built
nwboater; 1x fully built
paugie; 1x fully built
Atteren; 3x fully built
impuls60; 2x fully built
ronu9400; 1x fully built
canzld; 2x fully built
rhing; 1x fully built
cogitech; 1x fully built
Hammett; 1x fully built