• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, this is what we’re looking at.

I've only ever heard of one or two full linear ATX PSUs, and this is the only one that I know you can even buy. Though there are a lot of other things going on power wise on the motherboard, there have been many reports of people powering either parts of their Audio-PCs or the entire thing with linear PSUs and hearing good results. Hopefully this is something we can use to make our computers a higher quality, digital transport.

So, I’ve started a Group Buy for a group of Linear ATX PSUs from Teradak. Teradak provides aftermarket linear power supplies for many different products and has a history of working with audiophiles to make custom units for their various components.

Below in the pricing you will see the 3 different units; the ATX 210, ATX 275, and ATX 350. All three versions share most internal parts besides the transformers. Teradak has confirmed that all three sound the same and produce similar ripple. Sorry, I don’t have the numbers on hand. The only thing that will define your choice is how much power you need today for simple music playback, or DSP, Room Correction, and Conversion, or if you ever see yourself re-purposing your AudioPC into a home-theatre PC down the road and need more power for a light GPU.

Beyond these units being a Linear ATX power supply, there are 2 things that make these Linear Power Supplies even more special than the very few that are even out there:
(1.) They have all necessary, standard ATX rails & connectors: +12V, +5V, +3.3V, +5VSB, -12V
(2.) They’re not “dumb”. They have the proper start-up/power-on sequence to allow an ATX spec motherboard to turn on with the push of the power button. No hassle.

And because this is a Group Buy there are some other special goodies that you won’t be getting in any other order.
(1.) Special Internal Wiring: the addition of a +5VSB MOLEX (always on, even when the PC isn’t)
– specifically designed for a trickle-charger for a battery supply to go “off grid”
– could also be used to power a low-power SSD or PCIe USB card if you have an off switch
– includes a MOLEX-> 2 x SATA adaptor
(2.) Special Internal Wiring Choice: either (A) or (B) coming directly off the regulator
(A) 3 x SATA or
(B) 2 x SATA + 1 x MOLEX
(3.) Special Group Buy Colour: Sand-blasted(matte/powder-coated) Black Aluminum
– we can only have this if we get 10 units in the GB, if not it’s the standard brushed black
– we’re only 2 confirmed units away from this right now.
– not available on any other Teradak products; looks very handsome and matches the Streacom matte black finish very well.

With those extra bits the Teradak has given us, these Linear PSUs are basically the answer to all of my searching and DIY’ing for a proper, and not $5000 like a custom Paul Hynes, linear computer-ATX power supply for the past 2 years. And once finding them and getting some feedback, I thought to take it to a Group Buy to help more Audiophiles get access to something that might really help step up their computer source quality game.

Here is a link to Teradak’s OneDrive account with pictures of the standard ATX-210/275/350. Keep in mind our colour will be better and we have a few other wires coming off the loom.
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1eb7...re&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&authkey=!Aup2AKzO-lzXYuc

Now for some #s.

Shipping Info:
Regular price for ATX Supply 210/275/350 = $XXXUSD + shipping(~$150USD) to USA.

Their Sales Rep Michael said the ATX's shipping weight is around 12kg and shipping to the USA is the most expensive, meaning that every other location will cost less than that. Right away we're already looking at a discount. And, it's a better deal if you get 2 units :)

Current, Special Group Buy Shipping:
For 1 unit = $108 to USA(max cost)
For 2 units = $152 to USA(max cost)

Secondly, Teradak will balance our shipping costs so that everyone in the Group Buy gets the same discount, no matter where you're buying from. This doesn't mean the shipping costs will be averaged, but that everyone will get a special shipping rate(%) and pay a less than usual. Michael said once the Group Buy is finalized that I need to email him a list of our addresses and then he'll reply with what the final shipping costs will be.

Shipping cost will depend on 2 things:
#1 - Where you live (how far they have to ship it)
#2a - How many people we can get to participate in the Group Buy
2b - the more people we get to go in on this, the better the shipping rate Michael said they can give us. So, spread the word.

Group Buy Pricing:
Initially Teradak and I weren’t sure how many people we could get, so Michael established a mix and match, 3 tier pricing scheme.

We’re currently in tier 2, with 8 confirmed units. With just 4 more units we’ll move into tier 3 for the greatest discount.

There is only 1 Group Buy, but the buyers can pick whichever power supply(and connected price) they need. In the end our total number of units (ATX 210 + 275 + 350) will be added together and that will dictate which prices we pay for each kind of unit. And don’t forget about the shipping deal too, the more buyers we get the greater shipping discount we’ll all get.

Group Buy prices for Linear ATX PSUs:

ATX 210:
Regular Price - $545USD + ~$150 shipping to the USA

4-6 units - $490 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)
7-11 units - $450 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)
+12 units - $410 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

ATX 275:
Regular Price - $635USD + ~$150 shipping to the USA

4-6 units - $580 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)
7-11 units - $520 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)
+12 units - $480 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

ATX 350:
Regular Price - $725USD + ~$150 shipping to the USA

4-6 units - $660 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)
7-11 units - $610 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)
+12 units - $560 each + shipping(max $108/for 1 or $152/for 2)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FAQs about our Special Group Buy units:
1. Warranty: 1 year parts and labour on unmodified and un-physically damaged units.
2. Colour: Sand-blasted(matte) Black Special Group Buy colour.
3. Internal Wiring: 1 x ATX 20+4-pin, 1 x CPU 4+4-pin, and 1x VGA 6+2-pin
4. Special Group Buy Internal Wiring: either (A) or (B) wired directly from the regulators
(A) 3 x SATA connectors
(B) 2 x SATA + 1 x MOLEX connectors
5. Special Group Buy Additional Wiring: 1 x MOLEX 4-pin from +5VSB
- always on, could be used to trickle charge a battery. Has only 2-3A current.
- Includes MOLEX-> 2 x SATA adaptor
6. Voltage: Buyer needs to specify either
(A) 100-120 @ 60Hz (North America and Japan style)
(B) 220-240 @ 50Hz (Europe and China style)
7. Special Shipping Rate: There is already a discount, which you can see, but the more units in the Group Buy the lower the final shipping cost. I’ll PM you about the final cost at the end.
8. Back Plate for connecting DIN inlet to PC: As you can see from the pictures, there are 2 back-plates for mounting the input DIN to your PC. You can only pick one size.

Big:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Small:

Instructions for Purchasing:
1. Teradak accepts Paypal and wire transfer.
2. Only post in ONE site’s Group Buy thread. I have listed this Group Buy on multiple websites.
3. If you want in you need to post here in the thread with how many units and what version (210/275/350)
3. You also need to PM me a few specific things:
(i) Your name and address
(ii) Which version (ATX 210/275/350) you want
(iii) How many units you want
(iv) What your voltage requirement is (120v or 230v)
(v) Whether you want (A) 3 x SATA or (B) 2 x SATA + 1 x MOLEX, from the regulators
(vi) State whether you want the small size or big size back-plate for mounting the DIN connector to your PC.
(vii) Confirm you’re aware of the additional shipping costs that I will tell you later

Group Buy Closing Date:
November 30th is the closing day. I have a very hectic work schedule from mid-October until the end of November, so during that I time I will do my best answer questions and keep the multiple threads up to date, but I won’t have the time to do the closing admin until then. When work slows down at the end of November I’ll close the Group Buy and finalize all the details with Teradak and let everyone know.

Please see the previous discussion thread for more details. From page 3, post 73 onward is about the Group Buy.
TeraDak Computer linear power supply - Page 3

Last edited:
updates to the GB list.

Group Buyers List: (as of Sept 27, 2014)
1. Ben-M - Confirmed - 2 units - ATX 350 - ComputerAudiophile.com
2. " "
3. Camel - Confirmed - 2 units - ATX 350 - ComputerAudiophile.com
4. " "
5. Shahed99 - Unconfirmed - 1 unit - ATX 210 - ComputerAudiophile.com
6. Lowlands - Confirmed - 1 unit - ATX 275 - ComputerAudiophile.com
7. Elberoth - Confirmed - 2 units - ATX 275 - ComputerAudiophile.com
8. " "
9. _JL_ - Confirmed - 1 unit - ATX 350 - ComputerAudiophile.com
10. fmak - Confirmed - 1 unit - ATX 210 - ComputerAudiophile.com

*pending the confirmation of 1 buyer, we now have enough to get the Special Group Buy sand-blasted colour option.
*just 2 more units and we'll be in the best pricing bracket :-D Don't forget that the more units we get in on the GB, though, the better shipping discount we'll get.

Group Buyers List: (as of Oct 11, 2014)
1. Ben-M - Confirmed - 2 units - ATX 350 - ComputerAudiophile.com
2. " "
3. Camel - Confirmed - 2 units - ATX 350 - ComputerAudiophile.com
4. " "
5. Shahed99 - Unconfirmed - 1 unit - ATX 210 - ComputerAudiophile.com
6. Lowlands - Confirmed - 1 unit - ATX 275 - ComputerAudiophile.com
7. Elberoth - Confirmed - 2 units - ATX 275 - ComputerAudiophile.com
8. " "
9. _JL_ - Confirmed - 1 unit - ATX 350 - ComputerAudiophile.com
10. fmak- Confirmed - 1 unit - ATX 210 - ComputerAudiophile.com
11. Sligolad - Confirmed - 1 unit - ATX 210 - jplay.eu
12. Rainer Weber - Confirmed - 1 unit - ATX 350 - jplay.eu
13. Rurika - Confirmed - 1 unit - ATX 210 - ComputerAudiophile.com

**With this we've crossed the necessary 10 units for the Special Group Buy sand-blasted colour option AND we've crossed the necessary 12+ units for the best pricing options on all PSUs! Thanks a lot, guys!

Now with the more Group Buyers we get the better deal on shipping we'll get :-D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.