• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for TPA3116/8 PBTL bare pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DUG,

Please cancel my request for 2 x boards and 2 x kits.

After checking all my equipment, I realised that I don't have any speakers with a low enough impedance to get any benefit from the PBTL configuration of these boards.

Thanks

Do you have 2 more boards for me with chips soldered just like the 2 I have, they might be joined on 1 pcb, I don't care. I do have speakers for PBTL, I just need 2 PBTL boards per speaker I heard today and the DUG's drive hybrid electrostatics better then pbtl hiampmini's :D

So I'm hoping to start putting my boards together pretty soon, although I still need to order most of the parts.

For the 3116, wondering if I should put some thermal paste on the thermal pad? First time I've soldered a SM part with a thermal pad like this.

Randy

I use a flux pen and apply to all the pads I am about to solder but especially where there are multiple, finely spaced pins.

There are some great tutorials around and I strongly recommend checking some out - sorry I can't find the one I found really helpful. This made the biggest difference for me.

You do need thin solder, I got 0.46mm diameter, flux pen as I mentioned, fine solder tip on your iron, fine tweezers and a good magnifying system, especially for these small chips. Oh also good quality solder wick - I used gootwick.

I have been doing quite a bit of SMD soldering over the years and never happy with the results especially on chips like the 3116. But this time I got it right, only made a couple of solder bridges which were easily wicked away.

Found the tutorial http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/Surface_Mount_Soldering/101
http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/Surface_Mount_Soldering/Tools/

Last edited:
The 3116 part has a thermal pad on it, and the PWB has a corresponding thermal pad which looks like it wants to mate to it.

We use parts with thermal pads like this at work. It is intended to be installed with a hot air soldering machine and solder paste. But I have neither, so that's not going to happen. :)

Maybe I'm being anal, but I'll probably put a very thin amount of thermal goo on the board, can't hurt.

Randy

Do you have 2 more boards for me with chips soldered just like the 2 I have, they might be joined on 1 pcb, I don't care. I do have speakers for PBTL, I just need 2 PBTL boards per speaker I heard today and the DUG's drive hybrid electrostatics better then pbtl hiampmini's :D

2 boards or a pair (joined)? Let me know I have both still.

With 2 IC's installed / tested.

I will put you on the list.

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.