• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Linear regulator PCB (LM317, LT1085, LM338, LT1083)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey folks!

This is GB for linear regulator PCB. Standard linear regulators can be used such as LM317 and all others that have same pinout. You can use it as preregulator, regulator for your gainclone, preamp, tube heater etc... PCBs would be in black with gold plated holes. PCB size is 50mmx50mm and can accept TO-220 and also TO-3P regulator package. I've made something similar in the past but the PCBs weren't so nice as they would be now in black color, also configuration for symmetrical PSU is now simpler to configure it.
Cost for one PCB would be 2€ and priority shipping(worldwide) would be 3€ for up to 5pcs, I will also post other shipping rates. Add your ID and qty require as indicated.

mravlca

UPDATE 6.4.2015:
Please follow this link for latest version: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/254981-linear-regulator-pcb-lm317-lt1085-lm338-lt1083-5.html#post4283994

Attachments

• scheme.JPG
    scheme.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 6,680
  • PCB.JPG
    PCB.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 6,619
  • LM_LT_top_black_edition.jpg
    LM_LT_top_black_edition.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 6,343
  • LM_LT_bottom_black_edition.jpg
    LM_LT_bottom_black_edition.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 6,190
Last edited:
You don't seem to have any means of physically mounting these PCBs, I can't see any holes for stand-offs or is the intention to hang it off the regulator device pins, if so I don't think that is a good way of going about it.

Ray

Hi Ray,

yes, I could add some mounting holes to the PCB, many times only small heatsink is needed and therefore is much easier to install this PCB.
But currently as I see it, it is not much interest in this PCB, so I doubt that I will go into production, maybe with cheaper option (green PCB, HASL and lower quantity).

Best Regards,
Ales

You don't seem to have any means of physically mounting these PCBs, I can't see any holes for stand-offs or is the intention to hang it off the regulator device pins, if so I don't think that is a good way of going about it.

Ray

Ok. So after a while I took some time and modified the PCB in a way that mounting holes are present. I have also reduced diameter of filter capacitor from 35mm down to 30mm, which is still big enough for most of 10.000uF/63V capacitors.

Regards,
Ales

Attachments

• LM_LT_standoff.JPG
    LM_LT_standoff.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 5,583
Hi niss_man!

I ordered some PCBs but because there is lack of interest I ordered standard production, without gold plated holes but still in black color. Also I made a few more changes* to the board. When they will arrive I will let you know.

*I added 2.54mm pitch header for xh connectors or to put it in breadboard. If someone will use multiple boards for different voltages, then you can make a note on the white square indicating which voltage you have set. Also there is better via clearance from the edge of the board.

Best Regards,
Ales

Attachments

• LT_LX_bottom_up.jpg
    LT_LX_bottom_up.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 938
  • LT_LX_top_up.jpg
    LT_LX_top_up.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 1,268
PCBs arrived

So first batch of PCBs have arrived. I still need to test if they work, hopefully that will be done by the end of the week. Also I will try to post pictures how to connect everything and varieties of use. Also all shipped PCBs will be packed in vacuum bags as can be seen on picture.

BR,
Ales

Attachments

• LT1085 (1).JPG
    LT1085 (1).JPG
    411 KB · Views: 1,333
  • LT1085 (2).JPG
    LT1085 (2).JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 1,373
  • LT1085 (3).JPG
    LT1085 (3).JPG
    431.1 KB · Views: 948
PCBs are tested and working as expected. So anyone interested PM or write here in the thread.

BR,
Ales

I saw on your blog that you are using the TI TPA chips a lot. Have you placed this regulator after an SMPS for comparison to just using power directly from SMPS or transformer? Not sure if that is your intention or one of them at least but wondering what it might add to my build....

I saw on your blog that you are using the TI TPA chips a lot. Have you placed this regulator after an SMPS for comparison to just using power directly from SMPS or transformer? Not sure if that is your intention or one of them at least but wondering what it might add to my build....

Hi!

I am powering this regulator directly from transformer. I haven't made any comparison when this PCB is powered from SMPS or transformer. Though SMPS has much bigger noise than linear regulators. Meanwell power supplies have usually 150mV noise on 24V output.

Best Regards,
Ales

Since this GB isn't going as planed, I've put this PCBs on ebay if someone is more comfortable to buy it from there.
Low Noise Power Supply PCB for LT1083 LT1084 LT1085 LM317 LM338 1pcs TPA3116 | eBay

BR,
Ales

Hey mravlca,
Im trying to understand power supplies and am interested in building one as a project and im sure a question like this could have many answers but what makes your pcb a "low noise power supply." As well how might it compare to other power supplies which seem to use far more components and are more expensive. Im interested in a low noise somewhat hi quality power supply but i guess what im getting at is, if you were to tell me one power supply which cost $30 to build was 99.9% as good as one which cost $125, well i would say the .01% loss in quality is acceptable. On the other hand if it was only 80% as good as the more expensive power supply i might feel spending the extra money was worth it. Im looking at building a power supply in lieu of a cheap SMPS im currently using so looking for an upgrade and not just to build something comparable to my SMPS. Note i make no judgements about your pcb, in fact i really like how simple and straightforward it seems, but im interested in whether your aim was simplicity over absolute quality or quality and simplicity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.