• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for currymanDAC & PSU Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RPi B+ and I2S DACs - works

Using I2S DACs on new Raspberry Pi B+ needs more as just a PCB redesign or using four jumper wires.
RPi B+ has changed I2S pins and different pinmux now.
Using current I2S kernel modules and I2S audio on RPi B+ will result in a hang of the system.

It needs a Rasbian Linux Kernel Patch.

I did it (modify three bytes in a kernel module) - it works:
Raspberry Pi B+ and RPi-DAC

As long as the I2S DAC does not need I2C control (e.g. Wolfson will not work with patch) - a patch on a kernel module is needed and will let your I2S DAC work on B+. (or compile the kernel with changes on source code, or please wait for an official new Rasbian release)

Hi Guys,

I've started assembling my Curryman DAC but I'm having some issues with the PSU that I could use some help with. I used the build as specified as the standard build in the build guide. I'm using a 9vac torroid for the small 5 vdc board and a 18vac torroid for the larger +/-14.5 vdc for the buffer. Under no load conditions I'm getting 8 vdc out of the smaller board, I'm also getting +14.5 vdc/ -18.5 vdc on the other PSU. I verified that all of the resistor values are as in the build guide, I replaced the both LM317,s and both of the 13v zeners with no change. I checked the board for shorts but haven't found any. I've attached some pictures so maybe someone can give me a pointer on what the check or can see something that I missed.

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• PSU top.jpg
    PSU top.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 432
  • PSU btm.jpg
    PSU btm.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 412
Hm, that's a tricky one...did you measure the resistors before soldering, and are you sure that the LM chips are no fakes? Once I was usig PRP resistors, and some had completely wrong values, which took quite some time to debug.
Good luck with finding the cause!

Ok so I figured it out. There is an error in the PSU build guide it lists IC1 and IC2 as LM317 and IC3 as LM337. It doesn't agree with the schematic, I should have followed the schematic and thought about things a little, need a LM337 for the negative regulator, not two positive regulators, duh. Lessons learned. Everything is functioning properly now, I should be listening to this DAC soon. I'll be comparing it to the Subbu DAC which I've got to has turned out to be a superb DAC after break in. Beats my Twisted Pear Opus DAC by quite a margin.

Paul

Joined 2010
Paid Member
assembly guide corrected version

Hi PJN

I am sorry for this error in the guide. Good that you finally got it.

I corrected the guide but it is not possible to edit my post from July 6th.

Attached you'll find the new version.

Maybe Ron can add this guide to post no.1?

kind regards, Daniel

Attachments

• curryman DAC PSU assembly guide v1.01.pdf
    691.8 KB · Views: 141
Hi Daniel,

No worries, I learned something. I just finished up my project today, sweet success. The DAC is playing as I type this. First impressions are good, but I'll let it burn in for a while before I do some serious listening. Thanks for a fun project.

Paul

Attachments

• Curryman DAC.jpg
    Curryman DAC.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 369
Paul,
great that you were successful; that was a nasty one. Always good to check if components are the correct ones when debugging, and after this looking for cold solder joint and everything else.
This dac is really a keeper, smooth, detailed and musical. That is with 3 Salas shunts at the moment, 2 for the USB board, and parts for separate 3.3 and 3.6 volt regs for dac and clock are on the way. If this gets better again, it would be insane. At least with my rig... 50$ amp, 50$ dac, old speakers from the 70ies - best sound I ever had in 15 years.

This dac is very, very good

Here's a few pictures of my PSUs feeding 3 Curryman dacs. The Minisharc gets its power from a Twisted Pear shunt in the case below. There's not much spare space as the case was originally going to be used for a pair of dacs, but has now grown to three, so it gets a bit toasty in there, but not any hotter than other dacs I've had.

The more I listen to this setup the more I'm impressed by the Curryman dacs. In my system they output to an 8 ch MSB volume control and then to 3 power amps driving Magneplanar MG2.5r and a pair of Linkwitz LX521 dipole bass units. The highs are beautifully detailed and realistic, individual voices on harmony vocals are distinct and in the room - it's been fun building the PSUs and even better to listen to the end results - nice one Daniel (and Joachim).
8AAgq3AQAAANZJREFUGNNjWAQB0wMYIAwoVRkunocsMHchZ79oJpJAToJs81QWJAGFXtPkNiQtarbctSYIQ0PTo5RiS9MWCSvasIAEhCbHWbmwadUZFhUk2tUsYkhS1psgyBgTHyLN0VMVkbuIYZ4cYzCzgG7J7IkyZardMxcxBM0qDORPMXNl6sgPs7D0cmPI0Gn3X1DBLOLAM80ja46xEcMiKe1oVr5qyWKmRhXv7HJ1oLV+Db4SYpOceOXNDTTq3UHO6Ux1dJ7CpdmlP8OzFer0+ZHW7E0t9n0+DIsAfnlqrIaTB4cAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Gordon
cheers.gif

Attachments

• curryman0184.jpg
    curryman0184.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 235
  • curryman0180.jpg
    curryman0180.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 275
  • curryman0173.jpg
    curryman0173.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 247
Hi,ares there some Boards left ?

I've decided to rationalise the number of projects I have on the go so I have three of the power supply PCBs, along with a number of the parts from the BOM, that are surplus to my requirements if anyone is interested in purchasing them. I'll put together a complete list of the parts I have and work out a price.

I also have some Block EL48 sized PCB transformers that might be useful to somebody as they will fit the Curryman psu boards: 10VA 2 * 9V (2 off) and 10VA 2 * 24V (2 off). 3Euros each plus postage etc.

Ray

OK, there seem to be a few stragglers who missed the GB and I'm pretty sure there are no more available parts currently so, having changed my plans, I've checked and can offer the following parts that I have surplus from this GB. I've no particular need to sell any of these items other than to help out anyone who may have missed out.

2 * Bare psu PCBs (both sections) - Had a quick look for what they cost originally but gave up, let's say 3Euros each.
1 * Bare psu PCB (both sections) plus most of the parts needed to assemble other than components related to setting the required voltages. No transformers. - 7Euros
3 * Bare psu PCB (smaller single-rail section) - 1Euro each
2 * Block EL48 sized PCB transformers 10VA 2 * 9V - 3Euros each
2 * Block EL48 sized PCB transformers 10VA 2 * 24V - 3Euros each

Postage will be additional and at cost.

PM me if interested.

Ray

Last edited:
Nice job Gordon.

Can I ask for a link to the chassis' you're using?

Ray

Thanks Ray - will get the wiring tidied one day - too busy enjoying the music right now.:)

The cases are made by a German company called Rose. It's called the Wavetronic and comes in several heights. Very well made and nicely finished. The front and back plates are not very thick and only come in silver even if you order the black and red version which is quite striking.
Here's their UK catalogue:

http://rose-enclosures.co.uk/cat/Wavetronic.pdf

The cases can be ordered from RS. The front and back plate are ordered separately as a pair.

I was a bit bored with the standard hifi cases so just wanted something a little different.
Gordon

I finally got my headphone amp that uses my Curryman DAC and several of the power supplies up and running and very nice it is too!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I get the i2s signal for the DAC from a DIYINHK USB input board (upto 192KHz 24bit).

The headphone amp boards were free from the vendor SiliconRay (in the Commercial section) and are class A amps based on a John Jinsley-Hood (JLH) design. They're running 12V supplies with 200mA bias; powered is from a couple of suitably configured Curryman power supplies, which only get a little warm.

First impressions, based on just a couple of hours listening are very positive. lots of subtle nuances coming through, nice and smooth but with weight and attack when required.

There's a little more info on my encounter with the amp boards over on the SiliconRay section if anyone is interested;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/sili...ree-jlh-hifi-headphone-amp-pcb-0-008-thd.html

Just as a little background, there is an element of sentimentality in my choosing to build the JLH boards. until his passing a few years back John lived just a short distance from me and I met him several times; he was always kind and helpful.

Anyway, many thanks to Daniel (aka Curryman) for the DAC and PSU boards and to Ron for facilitating this group buy; your efforts are much appreciated.

Ray

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thank you very much for the feedback and showing your project. Good to see such nice implementations. Very impressive case for a headphone amplifier :D
A friend also uses a JLH based design for his headphone amp and it sounds really good.

Such feedback is the food for further developments ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.