• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for currymanDAC & PSU Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
*GROUP BUY IS CLOSED*

Hello there!

You can buy the great curryman DAC directly from miniDSP but with shipping costs near to the price of the DAC itself, curryman and I decided to initiate a groupbuy for the curryman DAC for the "European" folks only.

Not only the curryman DAC but also really good and cheap LM317/337 based PSU Boards delivering all the needed currents for the curryman DAC will be offered here.
You will only get the PSU PCBs and need to get all the elecronic parts for the PSU by yourself (See Reichelt BOM at the bottom). The PCBs are 2-layered and the surface is HASL finished (chemically tinned and not lead-free).

The PSU Boards will be also shipped internationally. So all of you who bought the currymanDAC directly from miniDSP could get the compatible PSU Boards. The shipping conditions are around 4-5 € with airmail envelope (no Tracking).
But as I mentioned, the currymanDAC itself will only be available for europeans through this GB.

So I made a GoogleSpreadsheet where all of you who are interested into getting a currymanDAC and PSU Boards can insert their diyaudio - Board NickName and wished quantities of the curryman DAC and the PSU Boards from the drop-down lists. Please do not modify the grey colored columns.

I think I will leave the groupbuy open for about 2 or 3 weeks and then get the costs calculated after closing the group buy.

Btw: E.g. you could use the curryman DAC directly with a Raspberry Pi or with the Amanero USB-I2S Board.

I will offer paying with PayPal and normal Bank transfer. All the Informations you will get through pm after the groupbuy is closed.

Following a calculation example:
The costs for the curryman DAC with 10 DACs reserved through the GroupBuy will be around 38€ per currymanDAC + Shipping costs.
With 20 it will be around 36,30€ per currymanDAC + shipping costs.

If you would buy one curryman DAC directly from miniDSP you will need to pay around 63€ including the shipping costs.

Summed up:
10 Boards => ~ 38€/currymanDAC
20 Boards => ~ 36,30€/currymanDAC
PSU Board => ~ 8€ (8€/board 10pcs; 6€/board 20pcs; 4€/board 50pcs)
Electronic Parts for PSU (BOM) => ~ 21€
Shipping DAC => around 8,60€ (European small DHL packet), For german folks: only 4,99€.
Shipping PSU PCBs => around 4-5 € (international), around 2€ for german folks.
PayPal fee => 1,9% + 0,35€

DOCUMENTATION:

Google Spreadsheet for the GB
Read and understand the entire post before adding yourself to the spreadsheet.

LINK to currymanDAC Information (minidsp.com)

Reichelt BOM for the PSU Boards

PSU Board (Layout, Scematics, 3D Render) click to enlarge.

Greetings from germany! :drink:
Ron

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi all,

the PSU boards can easily supply several DACs. I am using them with 3 DACs and four shouldn't be a problem either.

Both supplies (5V and +/-15V) are on a single board but this can be easily separated in order to be more flexible with the placement.

Just a few words to the schematic in order to avoid missunderstandings: The board was developed with some flexibility in mind. It will take two different transformer sizes (EI42 or EI48 for +/-15V and EI30 or EI38 for the 5V part), the bigger ones are in the BOM. Furthermore the BOM includes low noise 13V zener diodes (D11/12) for fixed ~+/-15V and two green LEDs (D9/10) for ~5V, however you can also use pots here for variable output. The attached schematic shows all options. I will set up a small build guide for the buyers :)

@mrsavage: Boards will be ordered when we have the information how many we will need, so no problem :D

regarding the user comment on miniDSPs homepage with respect to badly matched FETs: This was indeed a problem in the beginning of the first batch but this has been completely solved. Besides a revised matching procedure each single board is now tested also with respect to DC offset. Not what you can normally expect at this price level ;)

kind regards, Daniel

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm keen to get a few Dacs, but just did a little check and ordering 3 direct from miniDSP comes in at $120 + $30 shipping is the group buy actually cheaper?
The benefit from the group buy is indeed the biggest when you need just one and if you need other parts from miniDSP GB probably isn't worth at all.
But keep in mind import tax! In Germany it's 19% to all, e.g. 1 DAC + shipping = 70$ ~ 51€ + 19% = ~61€ :eek:

kind regards, Daniel

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Can I conect he digital audio out from a CD-player to this DAC?
Well, probably not that easy. The DAC has I2S inputs while the CD-Player probably has optical or coaxial SPDIF output. You'd either need a SPDIF to I2S converter or you implement the DAC into your CD Player as an upgrade if you can grab the I2S signals (if available). The latter requires some deeper knowledge of electronics ;)
In your case e.g. the Subbu DAC is a good choice. Not sure if some are still available :scratch:

kind regards, Daniel

Thanks Curryman,

I'm keen to upgrade my miniDSP 2x8, and eventually will want all 8 channels running through a dedicated DAC.

I have read the manual online, but still unsure how 1 would connects to the 2x8 board, or 4 if I wanted all channels?

Mods, please move this if this is cluttering up the group buy thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.