GB for currymanDAC & PSU Boards - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2014, 01:59 PM   #211
Jogi is online now Jogi  Germany
diyAudio Member

Paul,
great that you were successful; that was a nasty one. Always good to check if components are the correct ones when debugging, and after this looking for cold solder joint and everything else.
This dac is really a keeper, smooth, detailed and musical. That is with 3 Salas shunts at the moment, 2 for the USB board, and parts for separate 3.3 and 3.6 volt regs for dac and clock are on the way. If this gets better again, it would be insane. At least with my rig... 50$ amp, 50$ dac, old speakers from the 70ies - best sound I ever had in 15 years.
Old 4th August 2014, 09:25 PM   #212
riddim is offline riddim  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up This dac is very, very good

Here's a few pictures of my PSUs feeding 3 Curryman dacs. The Minisharc gets its power from a Twisted Pear shunt in the case below. There's not much spare space as the case was originally going to be used for a pair of dacs, but has now grown to three, so it gets a bit toasty in there, but not any hotter than other dacs I've had.

The more I listen to this setup the more I'm impressed by the Curryman dacs. In my system they output to an 8 ch MSB volume control and then to 3 power amps driving Magneplanar MG2.5r and a pair of Linkwitz LX521 dipole bass units. The highs are beautifully detailed and realistic, individual voices on harmony vocals are distinct and in the room - it's been fun building the PSUs and even better to listen to the end results - nice one Daniel (and Joachim).Click the image to open in full size.
GordonClick the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curryman0184.jpg (113.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg curryman0180.jpg (103.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg curryman0173.jpg (75.8 KB, 98 views)
Old 8th August 2014, 01:33 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

Hi,ares there some Boards left ?
Old 8th August 2014, 02:32 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddim View Post
Here's a few pictures...
Nice job Gordon.

Can I ask for a link to the chassis' you're using?

Ray
Old 8th August 2014, 02:44 PM   #215
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taccodude View Post
Hi,ares there some Boards left ?
I've decided to rationalise the number of projects I have on the go so I have three of the power supply PCBs, along with a number of the parts from the BOM, that are surplus to my requirements if anyone is interested in purchasing them. I'll put together a complete list of the parts I have and work out a price.

I also have some Block EL48 sized PCB transformers that might be useful to somebody as they will fit the Curryman psu boards: 10VA 2 * 9V (2 off) and 10VA 2 * 24V (2 off). 3Euros each plus postage etc.

Ray
Old 8th August 2014, 03:30 PM   #216
diyAudio Member

OK, there seem to be a few stragglers who missed the GB and I'm pretty sure there are no more available parts currently so, having changed my plans, I've checked and can offer the following parts that I have surplus from this GB. I've no particular need to sell any of these items other than to help out anyone who may have missed out.

2 * Bare psu PCBs (both sections) - Had a quick look for what they cost originally but gave up, let's say 3Euros each.
1 * Bare psu PCB (both sections) plus most of the parts needed to assemble other than components related to setting the required voltages. No transformers. - 7Euros
3 * Bare psu PCB (smaller single-rail section) - 1Euro each
2 * Block EL48 sized PCB transformers 10VA 2 * 9V - 3Euros each
2 * Block EL48 sized PCB transformers 10VA 2 * 24V - 3Euros each

Postage will be additional and at cost.

PM me if interested.

Ray

Last edited by nautibuoy; 8th August 2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 9th August 2014, 10:51 AM   #217
riddim is offline riddim  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibuoy View Post
Nice job Gordon.

Can I ask for a link to the chassis' you're using?

Ray
Thanks Ray - will get the wiring tidied one day - too busy enjoying the music right now.

The cases are made by a German company called Rose. It's called the Wavetronic and comes in several heights. Very well made and nicely finished. The front and back plates are not very thick and only come in silver even if you order the black and red version which is quite striking.
Here's their UK catalogue:

http://rose-enclosures.co.uk/cat/Wavetronic.pdf

The cases can be ordered from RS. The front and back plate are ordered separately as a pair.

I was a bit bored with the standard hifi cases so just wanted something a little different.
Gordon
Old 19th August 2014, 09:37 AM   #218
tuo is offline tuo  Finland
diyAudio Member

A little typo in the BOM in the latest PSU assemble guide: C15 is listed as 220uF/35V while the schematic and the PCB have C18 instead.
Old 16th September 2014, 05:55 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

I finally got my headphone amp that uses my Curryman DAC and several of the power supplies up and running and very nice it is too!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I get the i2s signal for the DAC from a DIYINHK USB input board (upto 192KHz 24bit).

The headphone amp boards were free from the vendor SiliconRay (in the Commercial section) and are class A amps based on a John Jinsley-Hood (JLH) design. They're running 12V supplies with 200mA bias; powered is from a couple of suitably configured Curryman power supplies, which only get a little warm.

First impressions, based on just a couple of hours listening are very positive. lots of subtle nuances coming through, nice and smooth but with weight and attack when required.

There's a little more info on my encounter with the amp boards over on the SiliconRay section if anyone is interested;

★★Free JLH Hifi Headphone Amp PCB, 0.008% THD★★

Just as a little background, there is an element of sentimentality in my choosing to build the JLH boards. until his passing a few years back John lived just a short distance from me and I met him several times; he was always kind and helpful.

Anyway, many thanks to Daniel (aka Curryman) for the DAC and PSU boards and to Ron for facilitating this group buy; your efforts are much appreciated.

Ray

Last edited by nautibuoy; 16th September 2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 17th September 2014, 01:20 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for the feedback and showing your project. Good to see such nice implementations. Very impressive case for a headphone amplifier
A friend also uses a JLH based design for his headphone amp and it sounds really good.

Such feedback is the food for further developments

Hide this!Advertise here!