• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Salas Folded Simplistic Phono PCB

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Salas Boards GB Ends 12/9/2018

The last GB for the end of the year has started and will close out on 12/9/2018.
If you have signed up on spreadsheet previously, I should have private messaged you by now on next steps.

So, to get in on GB please sign up on spreadsheet and then private message me. Any questions, private message me.

Hello old friends!
It has been quite some time since I have been around here. My passion has been reignited and so am looking for a project. My wife brought out an old turntable and said can we play records? Well you know what that means. . .
I put some of my gear back together including my fabulous DCB1 as the front end. That brings me to this thread, if Salas has aphono pre, then I want it. It seems that I missed the December 18 buy, if there are any boards, kits, parts available I would be happily interested and/or I will patiently wait for the next. Please, please, and thank you!!
Billyk

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello old friends!
It has been quite some time since I have been around here. My passion has been reignited and so am looking for a project. My wife brought out an old turntable and said can we play records? Well you know what that means. . .
I put some of my gear back together including my fabulous DCB1 as the front end. That brings me to this thread, if Salas has aphono pre, then I want it. It seems that I missed the December 18 buy, if there are any boards, kits, parts available I would be happily interested and/or I will patiently wait for the next. Please, please, and thank you!!
Billyk

I will private message you.

Thank you for putting this together. After a few months, spent today working on this project in earnest. I have a few questions about the kit parts, thanks in advance for your guidance:

1. I only got 2SK369BL in my kit, do I need 4 for Q1 and Q2? Do all 4 need to be matched or can I do matched for Q1 and matched for Q2? I am using MM cartridge and I see the note that I only need one pair for that. Do I use it in Q1 or Q2?
  2. My kit came with 2x 2SA970BL's and 6x BC560C. The way that I am reading it, it is preferred to use the two 970's in Q3Z and ignore Q3Y and the 560's. Is that correct?
  3. I have two red WIMA 150pf caps and what I think are 2 white 100pf caps. I believe these are both used for C2Y. Should I start with the 150pf in C2Y?
  4. My kit came with 6x BC550C for Q4x. It looks like I will need to do an HFE match which is different than an IDSS match to select 2 of these for the circuit. I am not sure what to do here either, can't find information on HFE? I assume since six were included in my kit, I can't select any two of them?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
  1. I only got 2SK369BL in my kit, do I need 4 for Q1 and Q2? Do all 4 need to be matched or can I do matched for Q1 and matched for Q2? I am using MM cartridge and I see the note that I only need one pair for that. Do I use it in Q1 or Q2?
  2. My kit came with 2x 2SA970BL's and 6x BC560C. The way that I am reading it, it is preferred to use the two 970's in Q3Z and ignore Q3Y and the 560's. Is that correct?
  3. I have two red WIMA 150pf caps and what I think are 2 white 100pf caps. I believe these are both used for C2Y. Should I start with the 150pf in C2Y?
  4. My kit came with 6x BC550C for Q4x. It looks like I will need to do an HFE match which is different than an IDSS match to select 2 of these for the circuit. I am not sure what to do here either, can't find information on HFE? I assume since six were included in my kit, I can't select any two of them?

For a MM setup, just populate Q1
Just use 970, and skip the BC560 there.
For caps, the white ones are for power supply
The C2Y can use the 150pf wima.
For the white cap, that is C3x

For HFE, if your multimeter does not have one, just use any of the two for the power supply. Most of those fairchild, now OnSemi parts have very high IDSS. They likely match within 10 percent, but hard to be certain.

For a MM setup, just populate Q1
Just use 970, and skip the BC560 there.
For caps, the white ones are for power supply
The C2Y can use the 150pf wima.
For the white cap, that is C3x

For HFE, if your multimeter does not have one, just use any of the two for the power supply. Most of those fairchild, now OnSemi parts have very high IDSS. They likely match within 10 percent, but hard to be certain.

Thank you! This is super helpful and I was able to complete the install of the kit parts.

I made my purchase at digikey today for the rest of the parts.

For R13, my kit came with 1.2k 100ppm 2w resistors. I noticed the guide recommends 5.6k 100ppm 1w resistor when using MM. The best I could find on digikey was 5.6k 200ppm 1w (RSMF1JT5K60CT-ND‎). Would you recommend I use the 1.2k from the kit of the 5.6k I found?

For the Rx dip switch resistors, I noticed the guide recommends higher values for them for MM cartridges. Since my cartridge recommends 47k, I will likely keep them off anyways but did purchase both the 3.3k, 10k, 20k, 33k and 100R, 220R, 470R, 1k for Rx1-Rx4 and will likely install the higher values unless others are recommended.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
FSP Ultra is ready as a schematic but currently in test layout design stage. I don't have a prototype to evaluate right now.
I project it to have switchable cart sensitivities, to can accept even bigger coupling caps, and to can work nicely with standard UltraBiB external supplies.

All that means more components and DIP switches on the main board. In other words added complexity.
How it will tackle the thermal drifts so all sensitivities can work with the same stuffed input JFETS on how tight an IDSS range is yet untested. It may even demand a redesign and/or a special UBiB version. So it could take some more time. If not ending up practical for the average builder to handle or not better sounding enough it won't be released.

Meanwhile for those needing a phono soon and still happy to build the classic FSP with single sensitivity configuration at a time and onboard V1.1 class PSUs I would suggest to Mike there could be a special edition in matte black color with matching Raw DC boards if there is demand for few. Its a proven and celebrated design, if its going it better go in style.

Hi Salas,

So the final layout of the FSP Ultra is not set in stone yet?
might i sugest maybe to make room for little bit bigger elctrolytic caps on the board?
in the (old) FSP build i wanted to try some Audio Note Kaisei Electrolytic Capacitors, but these dont fit. They are 26mm diameter.
Also it would be nice to be able to put 4 pole caps on the ps board.

This is ofcourse just a suggestion.

regards,
John

Hello Nick,
I'm using with a lot of fun your Salas Folded Simplistic Phono.
In your opinion It'is possible to use a 600ohm lcr RIAA filter instead of the normal CR solution?I've found this cheap coils (FEQH,FEQL):
LCR型フォノイコライザ-コイル 東京秋葉原 | ゼネラルトランス販売株式会社
and here there is an application:
http://emisukeaudio.sakura.ne.jp/EM-TUBE_EQ3_KAI.pdf
They sell in Eu and I'm buying a set for a stereo pre.
What do you think about?
Ciao
Guglielmo