• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Mr Evil's Capacitance Multiplier Power Supply PCB

I'm in the middle of fitting larger heatsinks as the increase in voltage across the pass transistor in the CMx made them REALLY hot, and don't want to 'let out the smoke"!
With all the filter caps you have, there does not necessarily have to be a very high Vdrop at the pass transistor.

I've had a couple suggestions to make a board with room for a bigger vertical heatsink (larger footprint). Unfortunately, this will make the whole board larger by about 10~12-mm. See pics below for an illustration. Not sure if most people need (or even want) that...

The first and third pic shows the two different heatsink footprints. Both types are available in different heights. The rest are assembly pics with the current heatsink.

Attachments

• TO220_Heatsink5.jpg
    TO220_Heatsink5.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 660
  • PSU4B_TO-220a.jpg
    PSU4B_TO-220a.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 657
  • TO220_Heatsink6.jpg
    TO220_Heatsink6.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 628
  • PSU4B_S1c.jpg
    PSU4B_S1c.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 639
  • PSU4B_S1e.jpg
    PSU4B_S1e.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 635
I found a slightly bigger heatsink than the ones in your photo and trimmed off the bottom edges of the fins to clear the resistor leads and fitted a 2 screw terminal block instead of the push on connector for the o/p (will change back later) - no problems, altho a bit more clearance around the 'stand-off' mounting hole would be better in any later pcb alterations but not critical thing

I'm also 'doing a number' on the 1uF film cap in the centre of the board - have some different ones and will probably need to use long leads - we'll see if it makes any difference - at present, used the Wima ones and can drop in the Siemens B32529's filter caps that I use as supply bipass caps in places, and even some SMDs![Trying that lateral thinking practice to stave off Alzheimers!]

It's just me, overdoing things again, just to see if it makes any difference at all with the amp running into class AB occasionally and drawing the extra current (up to 2.5A) and having a listen to different o/p caps and the poly cap bypass on the amp board - having a bit of fun!

As you say, it doesn't make much difference overall, and the effort is probably better spent elsewhere ...

Is anyone else trying these 'things' in a classA amp?

GB Status

Below is the updated list of names with circuit board numbers for the third GB. (If you are one of the people who requested a board as part of a set with Revision C of the Through-Hole VSSA amplifier boards, then your name may not be listed below, because it makes it easier for me not to duplicate lists.)

Also - There does not have to be a minimum number of requests, so far I have been able to get smaller numbers at a discount, or to add them to another board order.

The circuit boards are production quality, double-side, plated holes, solder mask top and bottom, silk screen on top. One pic is posted below, other details are in the first post of this thread.

klm1 2
Royber 6 (2 shipped)
mordikai 6 (2 shipped)
noSleep 4 (2 shipped)
apnneto 4 (2 shipped
mrsavage 4 (2 shipped)
ItaPapu 2
passive420 2~4
kalinowski 1
Edzard 6

If you are interested, make a one line post with the number of boards, please do not duplicate the whole list, it makes the thread harder to read. Thanks.

Attachments

• PSU4B_PCB2b.jpg
    PSU4B_PCB2b.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 863
Added the following to the list:

audiorasp, 4
whmok, 4
Dine1967 1
Rick G 1

Gannaji, I did not forget. Frankly, I was hoping that your last package was just stuck in Customs in India, and might be delivered by now!

I have looked into using registered mail, but the US Post Office only seems to provide Registered only with certain kinds of shipment, and the added cost for registered mail is about $13.