• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Subbu DAC V3 - ES9023/WM8804 SPDIF & Power Supply PCB" Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
First of all thanks to all members who have been patiently waiting for this GB. Its time to announce that we have completed the final version.

Attached is the link to the GB signup form. Please fill in the required information on the form. No information entered in the form will be public and will not be published.

Pricing:

DAC PCB: $15.00
PSU PCB: $12.00
ES9023 DAC Chip: $4.00
Shipping: Upto 4 PCBs USA - $6.00, over 4 PCBs - Quoted.
Shipping: Upto 4 PCBs International - $10.00, over 4 PCBs - Quoted.

Group Buy Signup Form

Add 3.9% to the total amount toward paypal fees.

The Group Buy is for Subbu DAC V3 SPDIF PCB, 5v Power Supply PCB and ES9023 Chip.

BOM and Build Guide will be sent to the members during the payment period, which should give them enough time to source the parts.

Cheers!
Jean-Paul and Subbu

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 11.38.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 11.38.17 AM.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 7,846
  • Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 11.35.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 11.35.57 AM.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 7,479
Last edited:
Well done and many thanks to Subbu and Jean-Paul.
A parts GB would be good, perhaps organised regionally as seemed to be developing ni the original thread.
Many owners clubs, particularly for cars, have discount deals with suppliers.
Does anyone know if Mouser, Farnell or Digi-Key (or any other supplier) ever offered a "package" for a group buy. Whilst it may not be as cheap as a genuine group buy, it could solve the logistics problems.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I hope such a thing exists, it would indeed solve a lot of logistic hassle.

BTW the PSU can be used to 1 A (but not with the onboard transformer, you'll need a 1 A or more off board transformer for that). It is now possible to use it for a Squeezebox etc. Please understand that the transistor must have a heatsink then. You can bend the pins and put it in the PCB from the under side and mount it on the chassis with an isolation pad and ring. Tighten the screw and bolt and then solder it. It is better to include an aluminium L profile between the chassis and the transistor. This will depend on your needs and you'll have to try out yourself as we made this PSU for our DACs. The DACs don't need much current and a heatsink is not required for feeding the DACs but adding a small vertical aluminium L or U profile won't harm.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
BOM and Build Guide will be sent to the members during the payment period, which should give them enough time to source the parts.

My understanding was the parts will be part of this GB. It was changed or it was my misunderstanding ?

Hi

Similar to the previous GB, the parts were organized as a independent GB by Phil (korben69). The scope of this GB is limited to the PCB and ES9023 DAC. The reason to include ES9023 is that all other components can be purchased from Mouser/Digikey/Farnell. The BOM will include part numbers from all these three vendors.

I am sure Phil will chime in here soon with more information.

Hope this helps!

-Subbu

Thank you for the hard work of organizing this group buy.

In the Subbu DAC V3 order form, there is an option:

Would you be interested in I2S version?

Does it mean that there will be another PCB for the I2S version?

Or, is it simply the SPDIF version without the WM8804 chip?

Subbu,
I assume this group buy is for the single ended version. Is there still a plan to release a balanced version? As far as group buy for parts there is no significant gain (savings or availability) so I see no need. That being said if I can be of any assistance with distribution of this group buy feel free to ask.

Bill

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Is the BOM transformer the same as for the previous version of the ps board?

Yes, if you use it for a Subbu DAC.

Does it mean that there will be another PCB for the I2S version?

Or, is it simply the SPDIF version without the WM8804 chip?

No it is another version so for SPDIF you need this one. One chance and last chance.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Folks: please be aware that this SPDIF version GB only lasts one month. Don't start emailing after that if we still have boards. We won't. This PCB is produced only for the large demand after the previous GB ended and also for people that heard about this DAC when the GB was over. So if you think this is a nice SPDIF project order a PCB now.

hi there,
first: congratulation for reaching the end of this challenge, i'm following it since it's beginning, i'm very happy that you succeed in it!
as said by someone else before, i'm crossing fingers for having also a BOM GB in order to have everything for soldering ;-)
thank you again
(New GB form filled)

Congrats!! Any change of pre-soldering the DAC chip?

Hi JP - Subbu

Congratulations!!

Is there any chance you offer the PCB with the chips soldered?

This would make the hit rate a lot higher for me ;-) For now I have put 4 sets in the spreadsheet hoping to have 2 working DAC's (at least that is).

Regards
Peter

dear @unixdeveloper,
please update this thread with the according prices for the 2 PCB's and the 2 main components, the ES9023 and also for the WM8804 receiver (in case that you are possibly offering this one too in this GB); shipping prices would also be important so that we can estimate total costs and make up our minds on how much we can order from our dedicated budgets for this long waited GB,
Thanks

Hi All

I've upgraded the original thread with new informations.
Concerning the parts GB, it's still on the way.
About ES9023 DAC chip soldering, Subbu is the only one who could tell us...
With a basic soldering skill and the informations delivered in the "Build Guide" everyone will be abble to achieve this task safely for the chip !

I need some missing informations before publishing BOM's new prices.
As you know the Subbu DAC V3 is now splitted in 2 versions : SPDIF and I2S (to come).
Now, you're registering for the SE SPDIF version.
More to come ;)

Regards

Phil

Last edited:
You're right ByronInLawrence, I'm wondering about doing it.
Consider you won't be abble to discover that the chip is fried until the complete built.
You can't check the DAC to be "safe" before, even if the ES9023 soldering seems fine.
The only way I see it is to offer a fully assembled & tested DAC.
Acting like this will exclude all risks, BTW transfered to the builder ;)

Don't send me PM for details about this option.
I've to think about how much to charge for this service (labour hours + faulty parts risks).
More to come

Regards

Phil

PS : ByronInLawrence's Post has just collapsed right now while I was writting this answer :(

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.