• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Subbu DAC V3 - ES9023/WM8804 SPDIF & Power Supply PCB" Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AndrewT, if you are reading this please elaborate on electrical safety in the UK and in general, it differs.
I just found this thanks to the Email and it's link.

I am not trained in electrical matters.
I was trained in an industry that took safety seriously and part of that training developed an awareness of "unsafe practice".

It is this awareness that gives me some ability to recognise when a Member may be putting themselves "at risk".

Everything (except Civil Engineering and School Teaching) I say is from an amateur that has not been trained in electrics.

Do you really want me to provide constructive criticism?

I have been penalised for doing just that !

Andrew - penalized or not, your advice is always taken seriously as an attempt to protect both the builder and the equipment. It's the readers option to follow or diverge from that information, but your focus on safety is highly appreciated and respected across many forums/threads. I say let 'er rip.:up:

Last edited:
Sidney, can you report on any changes in the sound of the V3 with the JG buffer? A couple pictures would also be appreciated.

Bob,

The sound of SB v3 with the JG buffler/filter are more three dimensional and in a more relaxing way.

Sidney

Attachments

• SB_DAC_V3_b.jpg
    SB_DAC_V3_b.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 223
  • SB_DAC_V3_a.jpg
    SB_DAC_V3_a.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 215
If you have the time and inclination, more info on the breadboard buffer project would certainly attract several V3 builders. I have the schematic but no clue how to resolve it to a board. If that is covered elsewhere please post a link. If not, a new build thread might be in order.

Last edited:
Bob,

I got my JG buffler/filter from the 2nd round GB. The schematic very straight forward. The jfet can use through hole instead smd. Match the Idss and coils from 5% to 1%. I think it is doable. Fellow member Gary post some info. in the Modded SB v3 thread. Hope that help.

Sidney

Recd parts today. Although not opened them yet.
Still some time to go to start the build.
Thanks a lot korben !!

Build is going to be very interesting...
I am making V3 with recommended power supply. My friend is making with another power supply.
One of my friends has Entry level Odoc, Mid level Caiman and High End Teac.
So in all 5 comparisons will be done.
Wil post my impressions.

Thanks again JP , Subbu n Phil for this GB.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bob,

The sound of SB v3 with the JG buffler/filter are more three dimensional and in a more relaxing way.

Sidney

Hi Sidney, you built the DAC just as we intended regarding wiring ! No 115/230 V wiring near in- or outputs and also short 115/230 V wiring close to the fuse/switch. You built layout may be used as an example how to do it right. I can't see the 115/230 V wiring itself clearly so I hope that is done right too (safety). Maybe you can post a picture ? And can you post your pictures in the Build thread too ? I think people will learn from your layout. I thought we designed it quite logical but a picture says more than 1000 words. Thank you.

I just found this thanks to the Email and it's link.

I am not trained in electrical matters.
I was trained in an industry that took safety seriously and part of that training developed an awareness of "unsafe practice".

It is this awareness that gives me some ability to recognise when a Member may be putting themselves "at risk".

Everything (except Civil Engineering and School Teaching) I say is from an amateur that has not been trained in electrics.

Do you really want me to provide constructive criticism?

I have been penalised for doing just that !

Nobody will penalize you for anything. Any comment you give will be judged fairly. It is about good sound quality but stuff must be made safe too. I would not invite you for comment if I would not like you to comment. If your comment can save even just one guy from having an electrical shock then your contribution was valuable.

Feel free to react if someone posts a picture of a V3 that is built unsafely in your opinion. We will never agree on floating audio GND but I respect you for staying firm regarding safety.

However, we should better post pictures and comments in the Build thread over here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-building-subbu-dac-v3-se-71.html#post3811218

Last edited:
Bob,

I got my JG buffler/filter from the 2nd round GB. The schematic very straight forward. The jfet can use through hole instead smd. Match the Idss and coils from 5% to 1%. I think it is doable. Fellow member Gary post some info. in the Modded SB v3 thread. Hope that help.

Sidney

Why not run W/O the coils,the subbu DAC doesn´t need filtering,or does it?
I run W/O the coils and it seems to work OK..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.