• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Subbu DAC V3 - ES9023/WM8804 SPDIF & Power Supply PCB" Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You're right :)
There's something cooking about SALRPM caps.
More to come

Regards

Phil

Just cooked them. They're ready to serve. Croquant, just as you like them.

Hi All

For those concerned with Parts GB, some informations about parts content.

"Alternate Parts" in BOMs
They could be the possibility of replacing an unavailable part for another, or considered as an improvement.
Subbu gives me tips about parts he uses.

1° - DAC
C4 ALT : Wima MKP prefered
C34 : prefered vs C31 (C31 or C34 to be populated)
C32 : C35 is SALRPM a costly hard to find part (C32 or C35 to be populated)
C22 : Panasonic FC (C22 ALT is SALRPM costly hard to find part)
C8/13/21 : Elna Silmic II (C8/13/21 ALT are SALRPM costly hard to find part)
C5/7/15/16/17/19/20/26/27 : 4.7uF Tantal
L1 L2 : 100uH

2° - PSU
C1/C3 ALT : 2200uF - C2/C4 : Panasonic ECPU - C5/C8 : MKT - C7 : MKT
R4 (RLed) : Both 1K2 standard brightness & 1K4 low brightness supplied (1%)

You'll get a very good SPDIF DAC with those parts.
The improved V3 design is a real value by itself ;)
Hope this helps
Regards

Phil

C4:ALT --->> I used Vishay MKT on V3 prototypes. On the V2.6 we used a ceramic cap there. Although MKP is technically better I doubt you will hear or measure a difference here. Isn't MKP too wide ? It should be a small film cap.

The 100 uH coils can be substituted for 47 uH as per BOM when Fox Xpresso XO are used. I found voltage drop over the 100 uH a tad higher than I liked when I used the Fox Xpresso XOs. No other drawbacks, merely taste.

R4 (RLed) : Both 1K2 standard brightness & 1K4 low brightness supplied (1%): difference is negligible. I found that 1k2 still makes standard Farnell green LEDs shine just a tad too bright (while only 3 mA is flowing). 1k2 or 1k4 is OK, please choose only one value. Both are already making the LEDs glow low. You won't see difference between 1k2 and 1k4. Didn't have the time to test 1k8 which would give less than 2 mA. Years ago standard green LEDs would not even glow with 2 mA. Maybe you can test the LEDs you will be buying with 1k8 ?

Point is that I absolutely detest too bright shining LEDs on devices when the living room is scarcely lit. Is something personal, my doctor tells me that it is not worrisome. Second point is that I use green for power on, devices with bright blue LEDs are thrown out of the window. That IS worrisome.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
+ : I really like them soundwise. They are absolutely better than Panasonic FC IMO. They have dry electrolyte and won't dry out as normal electrolytic caps do so no need to replace them. They can have way larger reverse voltages than normal electrolytic caps so better suited for coupling purposes (see data sheet). In that aspect they behave a bit like BG NX bipolars. They're orange :)

- : They have 10 mm pitch and they're relatively large. One should also never bend their pins as the safety vent is at one of the pins and bending the pin right at the cap body will break the pin. Expensive, hard to find. Some series already out of production. Unknown so nobody seems to try them.

We used them as BG is rare now and prices are like the prices of bread in wartime. IMO it's absolutely ridiculous to have to pay 56 US $ for one (1) BG NX HiQ cap...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Black-G...6-3v-electrolytic-capacitor-NOS-/271170903560

I have a box with BG NX HiQ but I am tempted to sell them as I need a new car ;)

Last edited:
As reference, Newark order arrived today with the 10uf SAL RPM variety, the others are awaiting shipment from across the pond

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 360
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It's a difficult language sometimes. I know, I often have to explain things to native speakers :)

I use 68 µF 6.3 V (older series 122) too for C22. SAL RPM is good stuff but I recall Lars Clausen having them going defective in his class D amps. Must have been the application (too much heat/voltage/current etc.). i haven't experienced any problem till now with them. I wish I could say the same for tantalum caps.

Last edited:
Dac PSU Silk Screen

Subbu & Jean-Paul, I Know I'm a bit slow on the uptake - Or perhaps I have missed something, but the silk screen for the DAC PSU appears to be wrong in that it doesn't match the PSU BOM parts.

For example - BOM shows Mouser part 512-DF01S for the bridge rectifier which is a SMD component - Silk screen shows it as through-hole and to add to the confusion - Manufacturers part is W01G-E4/51 on BOM.

Of course you are going to say, "Well Ken, you've fallen right into our little trap - any idiot can see that's a V2.6 silk screen......". Cue hysterical laughter.

Can you please put me right?

Cheers - Ken

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
PCBs are in production and will be sent to Subbu shortly (maybe they have already been sent). In good tradition I will get them as the last person in this GB :)

No an SMD rectifier can not be used. We found through hole rectifiers to be more convenient especially when one wants to use the PCB for higher current draw. If you really want to use SMD you could use the earlier revision of the board which performs equally otherwise. You could ask Subbu if he has PCBs left. Tip : start the email with "dear Mr. Subbu do you maybe have....". Any reference to you liking Indian classic music ( inside info: हिन्दुस्तानी शास्त्रीय संगीत) will help.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.