• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Versatile and comfortable passive pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rudi,
Good to see other woodies, I try to incorporate wood into my projects. Each one is using different techniques here is a F4 I built a pair of these for balanced use. I just purchased a dovetail jig ,You have inspired me I may make my F6 I am building into into an integrated amp.

Attachments

• P1000989.jpg
    P1000989.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 432
Rudi,
Ya!! Great minds think alike!! I told my wife, she said we need to win big lottery, then we can fly over anytime, just like we lived next door!
The amp looks great with the meters, I have thought about it. With the display, I am not sure if it would be too much or just right!
wirewiggler, Oh Boy!! I am nowhere near that skilled, that looks really great. I am still in the single piece of wood stage.
This stuff is just so much fun!!

Rudi,
Good to see other woodies, I try to incorporate wood into my projects. Each one is using different techniques here is a F4 I built a pair of these for balanced use. I just purchased a dovetail jig ,You have inspired me I may make my F6 I am building into into an integrated amp.
wire - Is that the base of the amp in the picture? That looks absolutely gorgeous! Can you show us more views of the woodwork. Great job! :)

Rick

That is the complete amp, pwr supply and 2 channels. I made 2 of them for balanced operation. The are the quietest amps I have built despite how tight they are inside. They actually have a internal frame of 3/4" angle aluminum welded together. The heat sinks I purchased a 4' piece of scrap and cut it into 8 pieces, sanded them completely smooth and had them anodized. If I had to do over I would have made the heat sinks larger they run quite hot. If I ever get really good at it when I retire I would like to sell custom services. I have taken CAD classes and am working with NC services for making parts.

Bill

Gentlemen, I have just finished the English Version of the "VCPre's Builders Manual" (Microsoft Word document).

Will any of the English or American participants do me the favour and proofread it, check for orthographic errors, word order, ...

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

I'll happily proofread it for you - although I am in the second round. I'll PM my email address.

Cheers
Geoff

Rudi has provided us with 4 pads after the source selection relays but before the attenuation part. Simple use will have these pads jumpered so that the signal passes straight through but there are opportunities - one of which is the 'Home Theatre' auxiliary PCB which can be used to bypass the attenuation stage.

But I am thinking an integrated amplifier that has 'Tape' facilities. It would be easy to take the selected signal from these pads and provide a pair of RCAs for 'Tape Out' (allowing you to record the currently selected source). But what of 'Tape In' or 'Tape Monitor'? The Home-Theatre PCB is basically an independently switchable relay which could have an alternative use: take the signal from the source-select relays and connect them to the normally closed inputs to this PCB; connect the normally open inputs to a pair of RCAs labelled 'Tape Monitor'; and connect the outputs of the HT-PCB back to the inputs before the attenuation. What will also be needed is for the 'Mute' relay not to be energised in this configuration, which implies a modification to the PIC code (to differentiate between when that signal is being used for 'tape monitor input' or 'home theatre bypass').

Is this the extra sort of versatility that people might like having in the Pre? If it is, would it be possible Rudi?

Geoff

Geoff, you are doing a great job proof-reading the English version of the "Builder's Manual". Thank you very much!

As I have written in the manual (which I will send to you all asap): the names of the music-sources can be chosen individually
(6 chars at most), and I will program the µProcessors accordingly!
The default names are: "CDP, DAC and AUX".

There is one name that is fixed though (if you want to use it): "HTheat".
If the selected (by means of your infrared - hand-held) music source has this name, the mute-relay will be automatically activated!

Is this what you like to have?

There is one name that is fixed though (if you want to use it): "HTheat".
If the selected (by means of your infrared - hand-held) music source has this name, the mute-relay will be automatically activated!

Is this what you like to have?

Not quite. For 'Tape Monitor' you don't want the mute relay activated; You need a new option (a sort of "virtual source") that I shall call 'Tape'. When selecting this option the actual source select relays should remain as they are (so that the same signal continues to pass to the 'Tape Out' that will have been installed and connected after the source select relays. However, the relay on the auxiliary PCB is energised BUT NOT the mute relay. The output from the aux PCB is then fed back in just after the source select relays so it benefits from being able to be attenuated and/or muted.

Put another way, this is essentially an option (I shall call 'Tape') that operates the relay on the auxiliary board and nothing else (except perhaps for lighting a LED)

Should I draw a diagram of my idea?

Geoff

Geoff, if I understand you correctly:

In the "infrared hand-held learning-phase" you are asked to assign keys of your hand-held to invoke: "Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, ...".
I can easily add a new function (option) called "Tape", and you will be asked to assign a key on your hand-held to this function.

When you press this key, the HomeTheatre relay will be closed and the string "Tape" will be displayed on the LCD.
The output of the relay will then show the unattenuated signal.
Pressing this key once more, will open the relay, showing the attenuated signal.

In the "infrared hand-held learning-phase" you are asked to assign keys of your hand-held to invoke: "Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, ...".
I can easily add a new function (option) called "Tape", and you will be asked to assign a key on your hand-held to this function.

When you press this key, the HomeTheatre relay will be closed and the string "Tape" will be displayed on the LCD.
The output of the relay will then show the unattenuated signal.
Pressing this key once more, will open the relay, showing the attenuated signal.

That's correct but note that the unattenuated signal from the output of that relay will be routed back into the mute/attenuation circuits of the VCPre.

In 'normal' mode the Tape Out RCA gets the unattenuated signal from the selected source and the amplifier gets the attenuated signal. In 'Tape' mode the amplifier gets the attenuated signal from the Tape In RCA whilst the Tape Out RCA continues to get the unattenuated signal from the selected source. I believe this is a common way that integrated amplifiers implement their Tape In/Out.

Regards
Geoff

rudi once again thanks for all your great work on this! is there any way firmware support could be added for manual source selection via momentary push buttons? there was a silicon chip preamp published in 2005 based on similar hardware where the firmware would poll the pic io lines that drive the relays so see if they had been pulled low by a pb switch.

Hi Rudi_Ratlos,

I've just been re-reading the thread, and I was wondering how you wire up your VCPre to get the manual source selction, as indicated in the picture in post #209?
Is the manual selection additionaly to the remote selection, or do you plan to just have the switch on the amplifier?

As I have already told you some time before:
My front-panel, using the VCPre, shall eventually look like this.

Thanks for enlightening me!

Best regards,

hallodeletue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.