• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Versatile and comfortable passive pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen, you remember that I "outsourced" the process of matching the LDRs.
This is the answer on my request concerning the delivery of matched quads:

Rudi,
Allied never shipped my order from the 25th. I ordered and waited and then finally called to ask where it was and they said "something was odd with the order." I dont know what that means. So that was this morning and then I got a full refund from them. I called and asked why they would refund with no explanation and the lady completely ignored that I had stated they refunded me and said it was ready to ship and would go out in the morning. I will call again tomorrow at noon and see what in the world is going on and if it shipped. I wanted to update you and let you know that if they do indeed ship tomorrow it will be at least a week before I can ship. Sorry about this delay.

I am sorry for not having better news.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Rudi, I know this is probably far outside the scope of your project, but I wonder if you would consider something like this for a future revision of your attenuator:

Making nice-looking front panels with no setup cost - YouTube

Using something like this as a standard case:

1455N1602 Hammond Manufacturing | Mouser

Your module is a very sweet solution for remote volume control for home DIY, but I think a lot of beginners (like me) struggle with the casework. Standard cutout panels for IEC, LED, and phono would make a very useful kit.

Having a standard box enclosure would make a good external standalone module, as well as providing useful shielding for internal installations in power amps with electrically noisy components such as SMPS.

Just a thought,
Mat
nertia,

In the US we have a company called Front Panel Express (FPE). They have their own free software that makes it very easy for a DIY'er to layout panels, complete with standard size holes, cutouts, engraving and lettering. You then simply upload the layout file, provide your panel (or use one of theirs), and in about 10 days you will receive a professional looking, CNC milled panel.

I have used their service twice now and can unequivocally recommend them. They provide top-notch quality work, packaging and shipping. They are a little pricy when it's all added up, but if you have a nice project that you want to look professional you can't beat them.

Check out their website.

Rick

Case work

Mat,
Cases are always a pain, group buys have been attempted and no one can decide on any standard one design. What I will be doing is pretty much like the last post, use a Hammond box and cover for the main section, Machine front and back panels and put some nice hardwood on the sides. The machined front and back panels I will have powder coated as no one anodizes in my town, and then I will make some silkscreen fixtures for the lettering.

Bill

... The machined front and back panels I will have powder coated as no one anodizes in my town, and then I will make some silkscreen fixtures for the lettering.

Bill
I have done some DIY anodizing with really nice results. Surprisingly simple, although sanding the aluminium takes ages and the chemicals I used created a lot of small holes in my shirts.. :spin:

I have done some DIY anodizing with really nice results. Surprisingly simple, although sanding the aluminium takes ages and the chemicals I used created a lot of small holes in my shirts.. :spin:

I have thought about even have a power supply, 20 gal stainless pot (makes beer), a burner, and evan a 55 gal drum of 98% sulfuric acid ( work) just have not made the time to do it. You do end up with a ice box full of sulfuric acid when it is done. If I had people who wanted to go into together ( and help) it would make it worth wile.

Bill

I can tell you, Billy: the VCPre is a real gem.
I just connected it to a Class D - amplifier, and the sound is absolutely wonderful!

P.S.: Shown on the image below is my prototype VCPre - set-up.
I will go on with the "Builder's Manual" and the software adaption right now.

Attachments

• L15D 008.jpg
    L15D 008.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Hey Rudi!

I cannot wait to get this one, I am going to pair it with the Fetzilla from the recent group buy. Oh boy, this is going to be one sweet amp/pre combo!!

It's funny you know, like I said before, I am currently working on a VERY similar thing; display, remote, relays, LDR... I wish I had not bought so many of the parts already!!

Gentlemen, you will be losing some comfort, if you are thinking about giving the VCPre a case of its own!

What about "Soft-Power-On", about "Temperature-sensors", if the VCPre is built outside of your amplifier?

On the contrary: I have just sent an EMail to my "favourite German carpenter" and asked him, if he is able to provide you
a wooden front for your "integrated amplifier".
Look at the image below: this is what he is able to do. Isn't it beautiful?

P.S.: Btw: this is my Nelson Pass ACA #1 amplifier, using my (!) layout, what else??

Attachments

• ACA 004.jpg
    ACA 004.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.