My_Ref Fremen Edition Interest/Group Buy - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2013, 04:23 PM   #341
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

I just want to support two of Jac's claims. I don't consider the FE to be in the "consumer" class. In my video production experience I learned companies like Sony, Panasonic and JVC (big three in broadcast TV) offer three levels -consumer = most home users, pro-sumer = wedding videos/small corporate and Pro = top line. Translated to audio and based on the actual live comparisons I have done, I'd classify the FE to be solidly in the top division be it called "Pro" or Audiophile.

Second point - I have four sets of speakers from 3" bench to the rather large floor standing Sunflowers. I have always had the impression the MyRef amps "allow" the signal to pass through cleanly, rather than produce a signal. The FE and some of Siva's (linuxguru) work produce that "You don't know what you got till it's gone" effect. It's hard to know what is detracting/influencing the sound negatively unless you have a chance to hear something just a little cleaner. Reminds me of the Ritz Cracker hook - "Everything Sounds Better When It Sits on a FE"

I also encourage all who can to investigate the DIY speaker world. The cost/benefit ratio there can equal or surpass what is available with that of the MyRef family. IMHO, the FEs deserve at least an 8" woofer (or equivalent) and a three way crossover. Great sound can be produced with endless choices in speakers. So I'm simply suggesting that even if FE builders don't yet own their "Dream Speakers" - build, borrow, upgrade or buy a set of boxes that equal the quality and ability of the Fremen Edition. It will be well worth the investment of time and money.

Please excuse the wordiness - I missed church this morning and as it's Sunday, I thought I'd do my own little sermon.

Last edited by bcmbob; 28th April 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 28th April 2013, 05:54 PM   #342
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenraventura View Post
Is My Ref FE has big improvement of the sound?
Quote:
Is it worth for build one?
IMHO, absolutely yes, but I'm somewhat involved...

Quote:
I just calculate the PCB and all of the component and also with cover, My Ref FE has similar price with entry level of Denon / Marantz stereo amplifier.
Yes, the by Fremen Edtion it's a costly amp to build,

2 x Populated boards (premium industrial BOM), around 200€
2 x Transformers, 100€
cabling, AC connectors, 30€
RCA plugs, binding posts, 30€
Cabinet, 70€

So around 450€ are needed.

Cost can be lowered using the 'On a budget BOM' and more economic cabling and connectors till 300/350€ but if top/audiophile parts cost can rise considerably till 1000€
Old 28th April 2013, 07:35 PM   #343
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would like if somebody ever compare with Denon or Marantz stereo amplifier. Is My Ref FE has big improvement of the sound? I just calculate the PCB and all of the component and also with cover, My Ref FE has similar price with entry level of Denon / Marantz stereo amplifier.

Is it worth for build one?
Sorry I missed this post.

To answer more specifically, in short - yes the FE beats Denon/Marantz/Sony etc. conditionally. Since I'm being wordy today I'll tell another story.

I still have a Denon AVR-2807. The only time I lost good audio equipment from a lightning strike included a Yamaha DSP-A3090 7.1 Amplifier (not receiver). I bought it in 1996 and at that time it was the flagship of Yamaha's audiophile offerings and cost ~ $3300.

Fortunately my home insurance covered the loss, but with a few twists. I of course expected a brand new top of the line Yamaha as a replacement, but by then my insurance company had hired some dude to do some comparative shopping. What he offered was the A3090 at ~ $1700 and I was furious. After major complaining on my part, the rep challenged me to show him one spec on the Yamaha that wasn't exceeded by those of the Denon. I could not and had to accept the march of technology had brought down the cost significantly over time.

When the receiver (really an upgrade) was installed it was as good or better than anything I had owned (other than a bit of warmth that Yamaha is known for) and I was delighted. After about five years I started reading about the return to two channel stereo, away from the overwhelming adoption of DSP for true audiophile listing. I bought a pair of BrianGT LM3886 monoblock kits and the rest is history. The only time I turn on the Denon is for the occasional blockbuster movie and for major live sports events.

I suspect even Dario would agree that any of the LM3886 based amp designs (not chipamps) offer more sound quality than the majority of "Best-Buy"/commercial amps and receivers. If ones budget, available space and family considerations allow, it's great to have both a DSP equipped multi-channel system plus a separate "audiophile listening" setup. It's all determined by what your goals are.

The work D. I. has done to refine Mauro Penasa's outstanding first offering places the FE far above the cost/performance value of many if not most major brand "receivers" - IMHO

Build one - you'll like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130401_080016.jpg (193.2 KB, 451 views)
Old 28th April 2013, 08:19 PM   #344
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Default Second run thread started

My_Ref Fremen Edition GB (Second run)
Old 24th June 2013, 04:12 PM   #345
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Hi Dario,

C30's (1nF) Amtrans is currently B/O at PC so I placed a B/O but in the meantime bought those:

Reliable RTE Capacitors

What are your thoughts about them?

Thanks
Do
Old 24th June 2013, 05:44 PM   #346
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
in the meantime bought those:

Reliable RTE Capacitors

That they're probably excellent and that they will not fit...
Old 24th June 2013, 07:53 PM   #347
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

In that position, asisde the LM3886 on the left there's nothing in the way so I can probably bend it on the side.

I'll try them.

Here's one of my modules

Click the image to open in full size.

Ciao!
Do

Last edited by pinnocchio; 24th June 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 24th June 2013, 09:21 PM   #348
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In that position, asisde the LM3886 on the left there's nothing in the way so I can probably bend it on the side.
Sure you can try, hoping that leads lenght allows it

Quote:
Here's one of my modules
Nice work

Only a suggestion, post about your build on the build thread...
Old 25th June 2013, 10:58 PM   #349
diyAudio Member

Wink Styrene caps

Quote:
Hi Dario,

C30's (1nF) Amtrans is currently B/O at PC so I placed a B/O but in the meantime bought those:

Reliable RTE Capacitors

Thanks
Do
pinnocchio,

I don't have any experience with the Relcaps, but their reputation is excellent. I did compare some 1 nF Amtrans with some K71-7 Russian 1 nF styrene caps and they sounded surprisingly close to the Amtrans. Since the reputation of the Relcaps is really good, I'll bet they sound great.

Jac

Hide this!Advertise here!