My_Ref Fremen Edition Interest/Group Buy - Page 34 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2013, 09:44 PM   #331
diyAudio Member

I don't hope for delivery until 2-3 weeks pass. According to previous experience the parcel is certain to come. Thanks a lot!
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:26 PM   #332
1543 is offline 1543  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I will do a second run GB later, hopefully before summer.
I missed the first group buy, therfore it would be great if there is a second group buy in the next weeks. I am in for 6-7 PCBs.

The supply for LM318 in your enhancement of Mauros Design is hopefully a big improvement. A few years ago I have build already a pair of MyRefC and I liked it very much.

BR,
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:33 PM   #333
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1543 View Post
I missed the first group buy, therfore it would be great if there is a second group buy in the next weeks. I am in for 6-7 PCBs.
Fine.

GB will start the first week of May

Quote:
The supply for LM318 in your enhancement of Mauros Design is hopefully a big improvement. A few years ago I have build already a pair of MyRefC and I liked it very much.
The PS it's not the only enhancement, also:
  • different grounding
  • different compensation
  • double diode bridge
  • use of high quality SMD parts
  • PCB with groundplanes
  • etc.
Old 24th April 2013, 09:57 AM   #334
1543 is offline 1543  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The PS it's not the only enhancement, also:
  • different grounding
  • different compensation
  • double diode bridge
  • use of high quality SMD parts
  • PCB with groundplanes
  • etc.
I know you have improved many points in comparision to orignal layout. And I appreciate this a lot.
I liked the original MyRef, but there was slight sensitivity in picking up HF noise and distortion. When using a light switch or a mobile phone in near of the amp it causes audible minor distiortion. Never had this with any amp before and do not know if it was caused by feedback loop, filter or supply reasons.
The new grounding and groundplanes, different compensation and improved power supply will eleminate these problems I guess.
BR,
Arne
Old 24th April 2013, 11:45 AM   #335
atupi is offline atupi  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:

BR,
I've made a retrofit on the original MyRefC with shunt regs for the Lm318 and it was a very nice and audible improvement. In this matter, in my opinion, the next improvement would be a separate transformer only for Lm318.
Old 24th April 2013, 02:38 PM   #336
tome is offline tome  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Hi Dario
Boards and parts is here, everything is OK
I'll try to put some pics from my build.
Thanks for your work
Tome
Old 25th April 2013, 12:26 AM   #337
awashi is offline awashi  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
GB will start the first week of May
That is excellent news! Count me in for two kits.
Am looking at the relevant threads daily, can't wait
The RevC build experience was very smooth so am looking forward to upping my game with the Fremen Edition.
Started practicing soldering SMD to not mess up those nice PCBs.
Old 28th April 2013, 01:19 AM   #338
diyAudio Member

I would like if somebody ever compare with Denon or Marantz stereo amplifier. Is My Ref FE has big improvement of the sound? I just calculate the PCB and all of the component and also with cover, My Ref FE has similar price with entry level of Denon / Marantz stereo amplifier.

Is it worth for build one?
Old 28th April 2013, 09:23 AM   #339
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenraventura View Post
I would like if somebody ever compare with Denon or Marantz stereo amplifier. Is My Ref FE has big improvement of the sound? I just calculate the PCB and all of the component and also with cover, My Ref FE has similar price with entry level of Denon / Marantz stereo amplifier.

Is it worth for build one?
Forget about those entry level Japanese amps, even the original My_Ref I have built years agao, it already perform at the same level of Naim 5i, now the FE edition with a good preamp, will easily compare with any famous brands cost around $20K!
Old 28th April 2013, 02:01 PM   #340
diyAudio Member

I can't comment about Naim, but I agree with goldkenn. The FE is a huge step up in sound quality from consumer receivers. I used to believe that consumer electronics had good enough specs that it wasn't worth the effort for better amplifiers. I was wrong. The FE has fuller, more detailed sound with a better soundstage than I thought was possible from my lowly speakers.

Build a pair. It will be worth the effort.

Hide this!Advertise here!