• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My_Ref Fremen Edition Interest/Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just want to support two of Jac's claims. I don't consider the FE to be in the "consumer" class. In my video production experience I learned companies like Sony, Panasonic and JVC (big three in broadcast TV) offer three levels -consumer = most home users, pro-sumer = wedding videos/small corporate and Pro = top line. Translated to audio and based on the actual live comparisons I have done, I'd classify the FE to be solidly in the top division be it called "Pro" or Audiophile.

Second point - I have four sets of speakers from 3" bench to the rather large floor standing Sunflowers. I have always had the impression the MyRef amps "allow" the signal to pass through cleanly, rather than produce a signal. The FE and some of Siva's (linuxguru) work produce that "You don't know what you got till it's gone" effect. It's hard to know what is detracting/influencing the sound negatively unless you have a chance to hear something just a little cleaner. Reminds me of the Ritz Cracker hook - "Everything Sounds Better When It Sits on a FE" :D

I also encourage all who can to investigate the DIY speaker world. The cost/benefit ratio there can equal or surpass what is available with that of the MyRef family. IMHO, the FEs deserve at least an 8" woofer (or equivalent) and a three way crossover. Great sound can be produced with endless choices in speakers. So I'm simply suggesting that even if FE builders don't yet own their "Dream Speakers" - build, borrow, upgrade or buy a set of boxes that equal the quality and ability of the Fremen Edition. It will be well worth the investment of time and money.

Please excuse the wordiness - I missed church this morning and as it's Sunday, I thought I'd do my own little sermon. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is My Ref FE has big improvement of the sound?
Is it worth for build one?

IMHO, absolutely yes, but I'm somewhat involved... :D

I just calculate the PCB and all of the component and also with cover, My Ref FE has similar price with entry level of Denon / Marantz stereo amplifier.

Yes, the by Fremen Edtion it's a costly amp to build,

2 x Populated boards (premium industrial BOM), around 200€
2 x Transformers, 100€
cabling, AC connectors, 30€
RCA plugs, binding posts, 30€
Cabinet, 70€

So around 450€ are needed.

Cost can be lowered using the 'On a budget BOM' and more economic cabling and connectors till 300/350€ but if top/audiophile parts cost can rise considerably till 1000€

I would like if somebody ever compare with Denon or Marantz stereo amplifier. Is My Ref FE has big improvement of the sound? I just calculate the PCB and all of the component and also with cover, My Ref FE has similar price with entry level of Denon / Marantz stereo amplifier.

Is it worth for build one?

Sorry I missed this post.

To answer more specifically, in short - yes the FE beats Denon/Marantz/Sony etc. conditionally. Since I'm being wordy today I'll tell another story.

I still have a Denon AVR-2807. The only time I lost good audio equipment from a lightning strike included a Yamaha DSP-A3090 7.1 Amplifier (not receiver). I bought it in 1996 and at that time it was the flagship of Yamaha's audiophile offerings and cost ~ $3300.

Fortunately my home insurance covered the loss, but with a few twists. I of course expected a brand new top of the line Yamaha as a replacement, but by then my insurance company had hired some dude to do some comparative shopping. What he offered was the A3090 at ~ $1700 and I was furious.:mad: After major complaining on my part, the rep challenged me to show him one spec on the Yamaha that wasn't exceeded by those of the Denon. I could not and had to accept the march of technology had brought down the cost significantly over time.

When the receiver (really an upgrade) was installed it was as good or better than anything I had owned (other than a bit of warmth that Yamaha is known for) and I was delighted. After about five years I started reading about the return to two channel stereo, away from the overwhelming adoption of DSP for true audiophile listing. I bought a pair of BrianGT LM3886 monoblock kits and the rest is history. The only time I turn on the Denon is for the occasional blockbuster movie and for major live sports events.

I suspect even Dario would agree that any of the LM3886 based amp designs (not chipamps) offer more sound quality than the majority of "Best-Buy"/commercial amps and receivers. If ones budget, available space and family considerations allow, it's great to have both a DSP equipped multi-channel system plus a separate "audiophile listening" setup. It's all determined by what your goals are.

The work D. I. has done to refine Mauro Penasa's outstanding first offering places the FE far above the cost/performance value of many if not most major brand "receivers" - IMHO

Build one - you'll like it. ;)

Attachments

• 20130401_080016.jpg
    20130401_080016.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 1,228
Styrene caps

Hi Dario,

C30's (1nF) Amtrans is currently B/O at PC so I placed a B/O but in the meantime bought those:

Reliable RTE Capacitors

What are your thoughts about them?

Thanks
Do

pinnocchio,

I don't have any experience with the Relcaps, but their reputation is excellent. I did compare some 1 nF Amtrans with some K71-7 Russian 1 nF styrene caps and they sounded surprisingly close to the Amtrans. Since the reputation of the Relcaps is really good, I'll bet they sound great.

Jac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.